2017's switching to Carefree awnings - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2016, 05:24 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Tom , sometimes nothing wrong with being left behind . Love simple , less frustration . Pat
Simple is great, but can be defined in oh, so many different ways. Simple can be pushing a button on the new awning, as compared to all the steps required to set up the older style awning. Simple can be going back to a tent with very minimal gear, which is something I still very much love to do. Often while some technologies themselves are not very simple at all, they result in simplifying things in our lives.

I do understand the preferences of many to stick with what they have in the old style awnings, which I too know and understand. But for me, and as previously mentioned, I am liking the idea of simplifying the awning setup and take down.

The bottom line though is to get away and enjoy camping. Our trailers are just a tool to help facilitate this, and what type of awning one has really has little effect on the overall experience we so much enjoy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Simple is great, but can be defined in oh, so many different ways. Simple can be pushing a button on the new awning, as compared to all the steps required to set up the older style awning. Simple can be going back to a tent with very minimal gear, which is something I still very much love to do. Often while some technologies themselves are not very simple at all, they result in simplifying things in our lives.

I do understand the preferences of many to stick with what they have in the old style awnings, which I too know and understand. But for me, and as previously mentioned, I am liking the idea of simplifying the awning setup and take down.

The bottom line though is to get away and enjoy camping. Our trailers are just a tool to help facilitate this, and what type of awning one has really has little effect on the overall experience we so much enjoy.
Least I won't have to bother increasing the tools I bring along adding unnecessary weight to my truck and trailer .And after I open my awning ,not ever have to worry about fixing what I have and just sit and chill , knowing my awning will fold up no problem to leave and go home . Heck I even use a manual can opener still . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:05 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Tom , sometimes nothing wrong with being left behind . Love simple , less frustration . Pat
It just seems to that most of those complaining about the new style are people that have the old style.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:20 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
What would happen if the spring broke on the old style awning and it would not retract. Seems like it would be worse than having one that had a manual retract option.
EggCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggCamper View Post
What would happen if the spring broke on the old style awning and it would not retract. Seems like it would be worse than having one that had a manual retract option.
Had trouble with Carefree on my previous RV after 11 years . Purchased what is called from Carefree , "pioneer kit" . Pull the springs out , saved 72 lbs , Installed kit and actually really liked the fix better . Can fix this same awning the same way if ever needed. The springs aren't what you think , they go the whole length in the tube. They didn't break what holds the tension wouldn't hold like it was supposed to. It was worn out . Didn't want to fix so they had another solution . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:30 AM   #46

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog2673 View Post
NW Cat Owner,

We just visited the factory a couple of days ago and asked the same question. The answer was "no", they will be providing the neutral sand/tan color as their standard awning color.
Pooie! Thanks for asking. Maybe if enough people ask they'll change their minds by the time they get around to making ours. So, those with a 2017 on order, start asking!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:39 AM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Anyone remember this thread where we all had issues with the manual awning
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...ch-5493-8.html
I'm looking forward to the new style.....
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Jim, you mean any mechanical object can be subject to failure?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
In fact, backing the trailer into my storage canopy I smacked and broke that bottom awning bracket latch twice, had to replace it twice. Taught me a lesson about backing into tight quarters, not to mention, of course, the value of a good box wrench. That was also around the time I began using a bungie cord to secure the awning to the top bracket, lest it ever should unfurl while riding the interstates. I also do buy an occasional lottery ticket because hey, you never know.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #50

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
The only thing I'll be missing on the old awning are brackets that were useful for attaching a rope for my dog run I'm easily impressed by the cool factor
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:58 PM   #51

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Buddy of mine tied his Brittany to the awning arm.
Dog spotted a bird and came to an abrupt stop at the end of a 30' rope.
Buddy had to do some improvised metal bending to straighten the awning arm so he could close it - manually of course.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
re "...Buddy of mine tied his Brittany to the awning arm."

Did that once with my pet turtle. No problems until a jackrabbit came by.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:13 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Chuckle of the day goes to Myron.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:21 AM   #54

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Buddy of mine tied his Brittany to the awning arm.
Dog spotted a bird and came to an abrupt stop at the end of a 30' rope.
Buddy had to do some improvised metal bending to straighten the awning arm so he could close it - manually of course.
If you can handle the idea that the dog might turn the trailer, the safety chain loops on the tongue are a solid place to hook a dog cable or chain. Less acceleration length helps too, of course.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:39 AM   #55

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've got a five pound anchor for my pontoon boat that has served well. Don't have to drill it into the ground and you can move it to where you need it.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:50 AM   #56

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've got a five pound anchor for my pontoon boat that has served well. Don't have to drill it into the ground and you can move it to where you need it.

I'm not sure that campground owners want little furrows plowed around the campsite.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #57

Trailer: Escape 21' Feb 2017
Carefree offers a gazillion colors for their awnings. Give me anything but beige.
Cslcs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
2017's switching to Carefree awnings

You could always get some replacement fabric. There are many that will fit the Carefree Fiesta awning that sell in the $150 - $180 range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #59

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
A subtle colour like beige is most likely to work with the variety of different graphics colours than something wilder and louder. I would like to choose my own colour too, but understand that there is no way Escape could stock all the options.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #60

Trailer: Escape 21' Feb 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A subtle colour like beige is most likely to work with the variety of different graphics colours than something wilder and louder. I would like to choose my own colour too, but understand that there is no way Escape could stock all the options.
But maybe they could offer a special order option. Of course I would expect an additional charge. Just wishing.

And the alternative of replacing our awning fabric afterwards doesn't sound very fun.
Cslcs25 is offline   Reply With Quote