2017's switching to Carefree awnings - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
2017's switching to Carefree awnings

I got an email from sales yesterday that they will be switching the 2017's to Carefree instead of the previously revealed Dometic power awning. The standard one will be electric, with a manual option by request only. No discount if you choose the manual version though. They couldn't tell me the models they will be using so hopefully that info will be coming out soon.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
I got an email from sales yesterday that they will be switching the 2017's to Carefree instead of the previously revealed Dometic power awning. The standard one will be electric, with a manual option by request only. No discount if you choose the manual version though. They couldn't tell me the models they will be using so hopefully that info will be coming out soon.
wow - interesting info!

I wonder why the change?

will be interesting to watch this thread....

update: Carefree makes lots of different awnings... I wonder what it'll be on a 21'

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I wonder why the change?

A lot of it has to do with supply. Reace was having trouble bringing in enough of the Dometics to match production, whereas Carefree has their product to them real fast.

One difference is that the Carefree relies on the trailer 12V for the auto-retract sensor, and the Dometic uses batteries.

The Carefree electric awning can be manually retracted using a small 3/8" ratchet with extension.

Reace never said what model being used when I was talking to him about it, but I assume this is the model. It has been around a few years now.
Freedom Freestyle - Carefree of Colorado
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #4

Trailer: pondering.....
perhaps the dent for the awning in the 2017 body is going to go along with the Dometic awning!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
perhaps the dent for the awning in the 2017 body is going to go along with the Dometic awning!
If you are talking about the relief for the awning, it will still be there. Unfortunately, they can't use one for the 5.0TA, but will have to surface mount it due to the sloped roof.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #6

thanks for the info... and the suspected model.

a quick google turned up this bit of info, on a different forum

"FYI. Anyone with a Carefree Freedom Freestyle awning needs to carry a 3/8 drive ratchet wrench with them to retract the awning when it fails...and it will. The wrench is inserted inside a removable round plug on the front cap of the awning and cranked in. An 18 inch long zip tie or piece of line that long to secure it in the closed position after it is retracted."

Old 06-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
thanks for the info... and the suspected model.

"FYI. Anyone with a Carefree Freedom Freestyle awning needs to carry a 3/8 drive ratchet wrench with them to retract the awning when it fails...and it will. The wrench is inserted inside a removable round plug on the front cap of the awning and cranked in. An 18 inch long zip tie or piece of line that long to secure it in the closed position after it is retracted."

You certainly do like to look for the negatives, eh?
Old 06-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Hmmm,
Maybe the manual Carefree would be a better choice.......
Old 06-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hmmm,
Maybe the manual Carefree would be a better choice.......
For some reasons it would make sense, but I do like the auto-retract feature should a wind come up when I am not around. Plus, it is kewl to push a button to open and close.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #10

now that the 2017 sides are flat there probably are more choices for a conventional awning with triangular supports that are straight versus the previous 2016 curved support arms...anyway this looks like the 2017 Escape model/design is a work in progress......
Old 06-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
If this new Carefree is as well made as the one on our 2010 I'll be quite happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:

"FYI. Anyone with a Carefree Freedom Freestyle awning needs to carry a 3/8 drive ratchet wrench with them to retract the awning when it fails...and it will...."
Name a product and I can probably find someone who has posted that it is trash which will surely fail. I have no idea about this Carefree awning, but I suspect that the original poster of that comment doesn't know much about actual reliability either. When something like this fails, it's easy to jump to the conclusion that all of them will fail.

Without more information, I don't think this report of a failure is useful.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
now that the 2017 sides are flat there probably are more choices for a conventional awning with triangular supports that are straight versus the previous 2016 curved support arms...anyway this looks like the 2017 Escape model/design is a work in progress......
The vertical sides would help, but there is still a mid-height seam between upper and lower body shell sections which protrudes. A vertical channel flat against the body (a feature of many awnings, such as the Carefree Longitude or Travel'r) would need to either extend only to above the seam, or cut through the seam area (no chance I would consider even asking for that), or be shimmed out substantially to clear the seam... it would need a section of wall clear of windows, etc.

Other than the issue of mounting in a recess, an awning like the current (up to 2016) style with arms that touch the trailer only at the bottom would be an easier fit with the vertical walls.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Reace never said what model being used when I was talking to him about it, but I assume this is the model. It has been around a few years now.
Freedom Freestyle - Carefree of Colorado
Thanks Jim. That makes sense, as it is the same general design as the Dometic 9500; it would mount the same way and also doesn't have any arms mounted downward from the case. The same points would apply to other Carefree models as well.

Oh no, do we get to go through the whole "those arms can't possibly be strong enough" discussion again?
Old 06-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Name a product and I can probably find someone who has posted that it is trash which will surely fail. I have no idea about this Carefree awning, but I suspect that the original poster of that comment doesn't know much about actual reliability either. When something like this fails, it's easy to jump to the conclusion that all of them will fail.

Without more information, I don't think this report of a failure is useful.
I apologize...

I should have clarified.... i'm just happy to know that I should carry a specific size of wrench.... just on the off chance that it does fail.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #16

Quote:
I should have clarified.... i'm just happy to know that I should carry a specific size of wrench.... just on the off chance that it does fail.

I would be doing that. It is just a 3/8" ratchet extension that fits in a square hole. Pretty simple. Besides, if you have one, then there is little likelihood you would need it.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #17

Quote:
The vertical sides would help, but there is still a mid-height seam between upper and lower body shell sections which protrudes. A vertical channel flat against the body (a feature of many awnings, such as the Carefree Longitude or Travel'r) would need to either extend only to above the seam, or cut through the seam area (no chance I would consider even asking for that), or be shimmed out substantially to clear the seam... it would need a section of wall clear of windows, etc.

Other than the issue of mounting in a recess, an awning like the current (up to 2016) style with arms that touch the trailer only at the bottom would be an easier fit with the vertical walls.
yes agree on the seam issue...however still have not given up on some kind of triangular support arm against the body of the trailer even if its removable for better support of the awning.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Oh no, do we get to go through the whole "those arms can't possibly be strong enough" discussion again?
yep....LOL....until Escape made the recent change, this buyer grudgingly accepted the new 2017 awning..now seems like the awning design/selection is fair game again...
Old 06-03-2016, 05:02 PM   #19

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Now, what I wanna know if is we can choose the fabric color!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The biggest issue still is whether whatever it is that replaces it can adjust after deployment. The Dometic obviously could not, and that is not a very usable awning without that capability.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote