2019 interior changes - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #221

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdunca44 View Post
David,
If we just split the bottom cushion, could we more easily get into the space below? Is there often a reason to get into that space?
My batteries are back there in the left corner, periodic but infrequent access needed for maintenance, adding water. Under the center back bench is fairly empty, can be used for storage of things rarely accessed. Some electrical wiring & components on the right side - converter, EMS, secondary breaker box since I have the all-outlet inverter, and if you don't have a removable power cord the power cord coils up in the right back corner.

Bottom line is there isn't often a need to get under there, but when there is it's a big chore. Remove both side bench upper cushions and the pool noodles behind them, and the upper corner cushions in order to have room to maneuver the huge back seat and back cushions (the back one is thin but stiff with a plywood or paneling insert) out of there. Oh yeah, remove the table.

I think that with the back cushions split, it would be easy to just lift one side a bit and pull towards the center to remove them without disturbing the side cushions and removing the table - someone who has the split back cushions could better address that. The plywood seat base that serves as the lid to access under the bench is one piece all the way across - if I had the cushions split, I'd also ask them to divide that lid in the middle to make it easy to access under the back bench on just one side.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:27 PM   #222

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is certainly no reason it can not be done after delivery, I'm sure an auto upholstery store can cut and resew the cushions and the back lid be cut with 2 more hinges added...
Old 07-21-2019, 05:36 PM   #223

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Thanks. I can feel the plywood through the seat cushion, so I sit on a pillow. When we get ours recovered, I like the idea of adding another couple of inches of thickness.
Hi RICHARD yes really improves the comfort . It saved a bunch of money to just add more foam . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:55 PM   #224

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Thanks. I can feel the plywood through the seat cushion, so I sit on a pillow. When we get ours recovered, I like the idea of adding another couple of inches of thickness.

I added an inch of high density foam under the standard cushion, at least on my side of the dinette. Before I did so I sunk through too.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:21 PM   #225

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Just looked at our build sheet:
$400 - convert bench seat to u-shaped dinette
$235 - extend back bench from rear trailer to front of seat 22"
$200 - cushion modification to fit modified u-shape dinette
$ 65 - 4" thick back seat cushion
$100 - divide both rear u-cushion seat and backrest
$210 - filler cushions for u-shape dinette
$100 - full wrap on all cushions
So our u-shaped dinette cost $1,310. Worth EVERY penny. YMMV

This is our lounging area and we love it! There have only been a couple of times we've used our portable table to eat. We just use a serving tray to hold our drinks/condiments and the tray works just fine. We never had them install the post holder for the table in the floor so our floor is nice and flat.

When we had the battery problem in our 5.0TA those rear cushions were easily removed 20 or more times. Thank goodness they were split.

If you get the u-shape dinette make sure to change the back cushion(s) from 2" to 4" thick. That way the buttons don't poke you in the back. We also learned about this desire at the Mississippi River Rendezvous.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-21-2019, 06:51 PM   #226

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We found after 8 months that our dinette cushions were bottoming out. We replaced the 4" foam with a high quality 4" foam, then added 2" of rebound under the 4". The cushions are now very comfortable. We originally went with standard everything in the dinette as we suspected we would not like the foam or fabric for the long haul. It was expensive to change both but it does look and feel great now in an ultra suede. The upper cushions we left as standard, just changed the fabric, and yes, a pool noodle makes a better back angle.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #227

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA Oct 2019;current Escape 19 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
We found after 8 months that our dinette cushions were bottoming out. We replaced the 4" foam with a high quality 4" foam, then added 2" of rebound under the 4". The cushions are now very comfortable. We originally went with standard everything in the dinette as we suspected we would not like the foam or fabric for the long haul. It was expensive to change both but it does look and feel great now in an ultra suede. The upper cushions we left as standard, just changed the fabric, and yes, a pool noodle makes a better back angle.
vf
What is “rebound”? Did you DIY? or use an upholstery shop?
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #228

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Rebound is an exceedingly dense foam, it looks like carpet underlayment made up of bits and pieces of foam. We needed a 2" lift as the standard 4" cushions had the table near chest level. A friend re upholsters aircraft interiors and we went to the hanger of North Country in Arlington, WA for the redo. The 4" replacement foam is dense aircraft approved foam, non burnable. Not that we were seeking aircraft ratings but were looking for a long lasting foam for seating. The biggest item in the budget was the ultra suede, 7 yards at $75/yd added up. We also managed to get the valences covered with the yardage bought. The bottom cushions were fully covered with fabric so the 2" of rebound is part of the bottom layer, leaving the bed option now less likely unless we buy and carry additional rebound. As we are just a couple with uninterested grandkids that is not a problem.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #229

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA Oct 2019;current Escape 19 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
Rebound is an exceedingly dense foam, it looks like carpet underlayment made up of bits and pieces of foam. We needed a 2" lift as the standard 4" cushions had the table near chest level. A friend re upholsters aircraft interiors and we went to the hanger of North Country in Arlington, WA for the redo. The 4" replacement foam is dense aircraft approved foam, non burnable. Not that we were seeking aircraft ratings but were looking for a long lasting foam for seating. The biggest item in the budget was the ultra suede, 7 yards at $75/yd added up. We also managed to get the valences covered with the yardage bought. The bottom cushions were fully covered with fabric so the 2" of rebound is part of the bottom layer, leaving the bed option now less likely unless we buy and carry additional rebound. As we are just a couple with uninterested grandkids that is not a problem.
Thank you. Very informative.
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #230

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Wish I had known about this option when we did our build sheet, I would definitely have paid up. That big back cushion is reeeeeaallly long and unwieldy.
Us too.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Us too.
See #222
Old 05-17-2020, 10:45 AM   #232

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I didn't catch it soon enough for my build sheet, I believe it was Perry who split the rear cushion in his U shaped dinette. We like the U shaped, but if I did it again, I would split that long cushion - too long and cumbersome!
Finished this mod last week, Perry67 had this done at the factory, I believe it cost him $100 (Canadian?) to have it done with his build. Cost me $200 US, I probably should have shopped around!

Anyway, it is done and I like it, it was a pain getting into that area before. We have the Lagun table mount and this works great with the table up which our table is pretty much all the time.

We do use the space under the rear bench for seldom used used tools, bedding for the dinette etc. It sure will be easier than wrestling that humongous cushion and seat back when I want to get in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Bench Extension with table up.jpg   Splt Rear Seat  IMG_20200512_112848.jpg   Splt Rear Seat no cushion clsoed IMG_20200512_113016.jpg   Splt Rear Seat Pass Open IMG_20200512_112931.jpg  
Old 05-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #233

I like that, I need to find an upholsterer.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:03 PM   #234

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We went with the standard fabric and lived with it for 3-4 years . We were then able to get other options .We bought Sunbrella fabric and marine grade vinyl . We like colors . The Sunbrella even though , solid doesn’t stain at all . Also love the marine grade vinyl with no worries , strong . Very glad we waited and got what we wanted . Pat
Nice! Would you mind sharing what the flooring is?
LuGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
Mineral Jet Formica pattern? Wait, that is the Formica pattern we selected for our just-finished build way back in September. Thanks to DW for her sharp design eye. I demand a refund for a custom Formica selection...(of course, just kidding!!). It is a good color for a small space and will be dynamite with maple. We have oak, of course, but that is OK also. I really, really do like the glass front upper cabinets and covet them, especially with 12 v lights behind.

Would you mind sharing what this flooring is? THanks!
Old 05-21-2020, 08:19 PM   #236

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGreen View Post
Nice! Would you mind sharing what the flooring is?
Hi LuAnne . The flooring I installed over Escape flooring . It is Allure planks at Home Depot . The color is Teak . It was Grip Strip Resilient Plank Flooring . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:50 PM   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi LuAnne . The flooring I installed over Escape flooring . It is Allure planks at Home Depot . The color is Teak . It was Grip Strip Resilient Plank Flooring . Pat
Thank you Pat! Love the grain and color.