2019 Price Increase - TARIFFS - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #41

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsady View Post
Well, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one getting a $500 surcharge as opposed to the $250 surcharge for folks who ordered a few weeks prior (per the posted .pdf from mid October.) I still am a little upset that I wasn't told about this upfront, especially since I specifically asked if we would avoid tarrif charges by completing everything before Dec 1. (for us this is less than 3 weeks from initial conversation to getting the money to them and build sheet finalized.) Avoiding the additional fees was a major motivator for us to buy now as opposed to next year as we had originally planned.

If you have email traffic that states that you would not incur the tariff fees, I would take that back to ETI and ask that they honor what they told you.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: scottsady... Otherwise you could have waited longer and payed more!!! p.s. I don't think we're done with "Tear off's" yet either. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #43

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17A
Just got off the phone. Unfortunately everything was done over the phone up until the point where they sent me the deposit contract. They apologized for not telling me upfront, but other than that not much I can do. An interesting note that may be of interest to future buyers, after the price increase goes into effect the tarrif surcharge will drop from $500 to $250, but will still be added even to the increased prices and options. I guess my real issue, aside from not being told upfront, is that nobody can give me a clear answer as to why the surcharge was $250 a few weeks back, then jumped to $500, then will go back to $250 in another couple of weeks when the price increase. I kinda feel like I'm just getting milked for another $250.
scottsady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:38 AM   #44

Quote:
Just got off the phone. Unfortunately everything was done over the phone up until the point where they sent me the deposit contract. They apologized for not telling me upfront, but other than that not much I can do. An interesting note that may be of interest to future buyers, after the price increase goes into effect the tarrif surcharge will drop from $500 to $250, but will still be added even to the increased prices and options. I guess my real issue, aside from not being told upfront, is that nobody can give me a clear answer as to why the surcharge was $250 a few weeks back, then jumped to $500, then will go back to $250 in another couple of weeks when the price increase. I kinda feel like I'm just getting milked for another $250.
Hi: scottsady... IMHO "Milked is better than "Creamed". Alf
Old 11-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I kinda feel like I'm just getting milked for another $250.

If you'd been here for a while you would know that Escape is not that kind of company and that they go out of their way to make things right for their customers.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Simply publishing a correct current price (adjusted as often and by as much as required due to changing costs) would be much simpler and would cause much less confusion and damage to the relationship with the customer. This isn't unique to Escape; in some industries hidden pricing described as a "surcharge" has been common. It was common for airline tickets in Canada (as a "fuel surcharge"), until it was made illegal.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #47

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
I might not be popular with some for posting this but it needs to be said. I camp with and have many American friends so this is by no means a slight towards you guys on my part, just an observation.

When I go down to the States camping, which is 3 or 4 times a year, I pay a 30 to 35% "tariff" on everything, campsites, gas, food, you name it because "apparently" my dollar is not worth the same as yours. Quite frankly this is something I find hard to wrap my head around given the turmoil you guys are going through right now but it is what it is.

When I bought both my Escapes I paid full price for them, heck no 30 to 35% discount for me even though I only live 45km from the factory. Think about it, in the big picture of things you guys are getting a SMOKING deal on a premium trailer because of the exchange rate. Also, tariffs weren't Canada's idea in the first place so why get upset with ETI. They have to do what they need to do to stay in business during these uncertain times with regards to trade between our two countries.

End of rant.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
I might not be popular with some for posting this but it needs to be said. I camp with and have many American friends so this is by no means a slight towards you guys on my part, just an observation.

When I go down to the States camping, which is 3 or 4 times a year, I pay a 30 to 35% "tariff" on everything, campsites, gas, food, you name it because "apparently" my dollar is not worth the same as yours. Quite frankly this is something I find hard to wrap my head around given the turmoil you guys are going through right now but it is what it is.

When I bought both my Escapes I paid full price for them, heck no 30 to 35% discount for me even though I only live 45km from the factory. Think about it, in the big picture of things you guys are getting a SMOKING deal on a premium trailer because of the exchange rate. Also, tariffs weren't Canada's idea in the first place so why get upset with ETI. They have to do what they need to do to stay in business during these uncertain times with regards to trade between our two countries.

End of rant.

Barry
Hi: barry... Alf
Old 11-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #49

When there are two parties to a conversation, it's very easy to say you were misled instead of saying you misunderstood.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, I agree Barry, I doubt we would be having this discussion if the conversion rate was the other way......
Old 11-14-2018, 02:08 PM   #51

Quote:
... I pay a 30 to 35% "tariff" on everything, campsites, gas, food, you name it because "apparently" my dollar is not worth the same as yours. Quite frankly this is something I find hard to wrap my head around...
I think it is really unfortunate that the completely unrelated currencies of Canada and the United States of America are both called the "dollar". If one was a "dollar" and one was a "peso" or "euro" or "pound" or "franc" or "mark" or "yen" or "yuan" or "dinar" or "ruble" or "shekel" or whatever, this misguided perception wouldn't exist. There's no reason for any two currencies of different countries to have matched values.

For illustration, the Japanese Yen is currently worth 1.2 Canadian cents (so 1 Canadian dollar = 85.2 Yen or 8250% of one Yen). I'm pretty sure that Japanese people understand that they're not paying a 8150% premium when they come here to visit Banff. If the values of Canadian and U.S. currencies were very different (as well as having different names), there would be less confusion.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #52

Conversion rate is determined by supply and demand. If investors are selling Canadian dollars and buying US dollars because they think the Canadian economy is less certain, then the value of a Canadian dollar falls.
With world glut of oil and falling prices for crude, you can expect Canadian dollar to fall. Or not.
Tariffs are taxes and are employed by a country to protect their industries. Whether they actually work as intended is debatable. So, the tariff surcharge is to pay these taxes.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #53

Quote:
Also, tariffs weren't Canada's idea in the first place so why get upset with ETI. They have to do what they need to do to stay in business during these uncertain times with regards to trade between our two countries.
As explained in Escape's announcement, the tariffs which are causing an increase in their costs are related to "product manufactured outside of Canada and the US", not trade between Canada and the US. In other words, the stuff being purchased from U.S. sources by Escape is not subject to a tariff when crossing the U.S./Canada border, and the trailer is not subject to a tariff when going into the U.S. The reason for those tariffs (on stuff made in China, presumably) is political, and so not suitable for discussion here.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #54

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I have been in Canada when the exchange rate was the “other way”. My US dollar had to go in the Canadian cash register along with another 8 cents. I was in Alogonqun provincial park. I heard the wolves howl. I drank cold Canadian beer, I rented a canoe and paddled through gin clear water. I had a nice little campfire. Those memories will never leave me. The 8 cents I had to add to the each dollar did not mean crap. In Chilliwack and Osoyoos Reace himself helped make my trailer better. He taught me things I should have known had I read the manual. My 1994 ford pickup lost a rear main seal before 100,000 miles. Dealer said “tough.” Don’t let a couple hundred bucks color your future, it ain’t worth it. Check out the depreciation on a five year old car and then a five year old Escape, You’ll get your money back and then some. Plus you’ll meet some real nice people. Have a good rest of the day, you’re vertical.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #55

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think it is really unfortunate that the completely unrelated currencies of Canada and the United States of America are both called the "dollar". If one was a "dollar" and one was a "peso" or "euro" or "pound" or "franc" or "mark" or "yen" or "yuan" or "dinar" or "ruble" or "shekel" or whatever, this misguided perception wouldn't exist. There's no reason for any two currencies of different countries to have matched values.
I agree. Since the US started using the dollar first, Canada should change the name of it's currency. Any suggestions?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._States_dollar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...anadian_dollar
Old 11-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #56

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When the Canadian dollar value is less than the US dollar, it could be called a dollarette. When it’s worth more, a Megabuck. “I wish a buck was still silver and a joint, a bad place to be.” It was back before Nixon lied to us all on TV. Thanks Merle.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-14-2018, 06:09 PM   #57

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
I see the Tariff on build sheet ($500) but what is Importation Fee (US Customers only) of $200? Also see Tire Levee fee $20 and Documentation Fee which is TBD. How much is Doc Fee?
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #58

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
I see the Tariff on build sheet ($500) but what is Importation Fee (US Customers only) of $200? Also see Tire Levee fee $20 and Documentation Fee which is TBD. How much is Doc Fee?
The $200 is a pretty good deal I think. Covers the paperwork needed for export and they bring the trailer over the border for you. The $20 is a BC tire tax I believe.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #59

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
And of course Canadian customers are hit right away at Escape by our 5% federal tax on the total invoice price. And as pointed out we don't get a discount paying in our dollarettes. And for most Canadians once we get the trailer home to register it in our province we pay anywhere from zero (AB) to 10% (Maritimes) for provincial tax. I paid 8% here in MB.

That's one reason for buying a gently used Escape rather than ordering from the factory (as we had planned). Not only did I save on the price but also on the taxes!
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #60

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
And of course Canadian customers are hit right away at Escape by our 5% federal tax on the total invoice price. And as pointed out we don't get a discount paying in our dollarettes. And for most Canadians once we get the trailer home to register it in our province we pay anywhere from zero (AB) to 10% (Maritimes) for provincial tax. I paid 8% here in MB.

That's one reason for buying a gently used Escape rather than ordering from the factory (as we had planned). Not only did I save on the price but also on the taxes!
And when I register in Colorado I’ll pay 8.5% sales tax plus a registration fee based on the purchase price, plus a road tax, etc. The total of everything will be about 10%

Annual registration fees are really an excise tax based on a declining value. Probably in the $700/year range to start. An RV is an expensive toy.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote