3" Frame Recall on 15', 17' & 19' Escape Trailers - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2015, 11:12 PM   #81

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
I spoke with a person selling an older Escape who's ad said 'cracked frame repaired' and he said the fiberglass body had to be lifted off the frame to properly weld and strengthen the joint. It was distorted and cracked so it was too late to just add a stiffener.
The difference between strengthening the joint preemptively and repairing the results of a failure is huge. I don't think the effort needed or cost of a repair should cause anyone to be concerned about the effort or cost of the reinforcement.

Quote:
To me, the repair (like the solar panel kit) looks more like a Band-Aid then a 'fix'.
The solar panel fix is an extra retaining system, to prevent problems if the original mounting system fails. The reinforcement of the frame joint is very different - it prevents the potential problem from occurring.

A Band-Aid fix just covers and temporarily patches an injury which has already occurred. That's entirely different from the reinforcement added in the recall, which improves the design and strength of the joint.

Quote:
Time will tell.
I agree. It took years to realize that this is a potential problem among the seven hundred trailers built with this design. In a decade or so, maybe it will be apparent how effective the reinforcement has been.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:44 PM   #82

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
One question I've got about the frame fix for the 19 -- the instructions talk about adding two additional attachment points for attaching the body to the frame, but nowhere does it say how to make use of these new attachment point.

The picture shows an L bracket welded onto the frame with one flange under the fiberglass body. Presumably a bolt or something goes through the flange into the body, but details are missing. I guess when the kit shows up there might be more information.

Did the solar panel kit today. Took about an hour, including getting the tools together and cleaning up afterwards. Don't know if it will actually prevent the epoxy joint from failing. I suppose it might, but it does seem more aimed at making sure that if the joint does fail, the guy behind you doesn't catch the brunt of it. On the other hand, if the epoxy joint fails and you don't notice it quickly, the panel flapping around could do real damage to the trailer.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:59 PM   #83

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
I can't help but wonder what this will do to resale values down the road for the 3" framed trailers.
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:11 AM   #84

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
I can't help but wonder what this will do to resale values down the road for the 3" framed trailers.
Likely nothing. Either they have the bend frame ( as mine ) which isn't a problem, or, if they have the miter frame, it has been corrected, or both the buyer and seller are oblivious.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #85

Trailer: 2013 19' (and used to have a 17b)
The switch to a 4" frame seems to imply there was problems with the 3" frame. Is this recall the only issue that has happened with the 3" or is anyone aware of other problems?
prairieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #86

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieboy View Post
The switch to a 4" frame seems to imply there was problems with the 3" frame. Is this recall the only issue that has happened with the 3" or is anyone aware of other problems?
Hi: prairieboy... I think the switch of frame members was more of a standardization. With the larger 5.0TA's and 21'ers dominating production it's easier to make all trailers with 4" frames. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #87

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
It may be difficult to get the fix done to our 19 locally. Of the three welding shops I contacted, one flatly refused to do the work citing potential damage to the trailer, one wants me to take photos of the problem area and he will make a decision once he sees them, and the third doesn't think he can do the fix without the welding heat damaging the fiberglass. He is, however, willing to try but says he will need at least two to three hours to get it set up with some sort of heat shield and to complete the job. I think he may be stretching the time a bit but then, I'm not a welder. When I showed him the photo that ETI sent along with the recall notice, he smiled and said that this issue is common with any make of trailer that has that frame configuration and that his shop has repaired a number of them. So, at least that shop has the most experience.

I'm thinking the minimum cost is going to be in the neighborhood of $150-$200, that is if I can even get it done here. I don't mind paying the price as long as the work is good and the patch is going to prevent a failure. However, getting it done locally is looking a bit dubious at this point.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #88

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
He is, however, willing to try but says he will need at least two to three hours to get it set up with some sort of heat shield and to complete the job. I think he may be stretching the time a bit but then, I'm not a welder.
Given he said this, I do think he may not want to do it either. Even using an ultimate setup of an asbestos sheet, and a piece of tin should not take more than 2 minutes per weld to set up.

There must be lots of guys with portable welding trucks around that could do it for a bit of cash, no?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #89

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Look for logging trucks. I'm sure you'll find a welder hanging around nearby.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #90

Trailer: 2015 19' - "Tramper"
I wonder if ETI has looked into a bolt-on patch? It may be worthwhile to ask for those affected and can't find an appropriate welder.
lancenadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #91

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancenadine View Post
I wonder if ETI has looked into a bolt-on patch? It may be worthwhile to ask for those affected and can't find an appropriate welder.
If the frame was channel then it would be possible but for rectangular tube, not so much. It's the most basic kind of welding. Which kind of reminds me of that old joke with the punch line something like; "we've established what you are, now we're only discussing price"

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:55 PM   #92

Trailer: Escape
Thanks to Escape for alerting us that the frame needs strengthening. I'll get it done and I won't worry about going down the road.

But ignore all the forumites who chime in to say that it is a simple thing, that it only takes two minutes to set up, that anyone can do it. All they are saying is that they have never done it.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #93

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
But ignore all the forumites who chime in to say ...
... that anyone can do it.
I'm pretty sure I have read every post in this thread, and I didn't see anyone saying anything remotely like "anyone can do it".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #94

Trailer: Escape
Why are members that have a trailer with a 4" frame even commenting on this frame recall fiasco ? If the structural integrity of YOUR trailer was questionable, you might be a bit more concerned. Are there currently openings for moderators ?
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #95

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I think it could only be called a fiasco if the recall is fraught, fraught I say, with failure, gnashing of the teeth, angst, an other serious psychological maladies. I am an affected customer, I'll get her welded up and away we go. I will be able to get it done to my satisfaction for $50 easily. I have friends in low places, where the whiskey flows and the beer chases my blues away.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #96

And I'll be okay.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #97

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Sheesh .....we're on the road - won't be home for another week and a half ......not even slightly worried - may even arrange for the re-enforcement to be done when we go to next May's Escape Rally - that'll be the next time we travel that far west .......
Old 09-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #98

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Like many others, I am a bit frustrated and disappointed that we have to go through this. But in the grand scheme of things, it is a relatively insignificant issue to deal with. I will either get it done locally and pay a bit more, or will wait until next summer and stop in at Escape while on vacation and have the pros do it. I will do no teeth gnashing and will not pull out any of my few remaining hairs worrying about this.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:34 PM   #99

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I wonder if the recall offer applies only to the original purchaser?

Regards,

Matt
Old 09-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by memobug View Post
I wonder if the recall offer applies only to the original purchaser?

Regards,

Matt
I would really doubt that. I am sure it extends to any new owners of these trailers too.