3" Frame Recall on 15', 17' & 19' Escape Trailers - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2015, 09:51 PM   #101

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We are second owners. Escape trailer knows that. They sent us a specific email for the recall so I am reasonably sure that if they know you're out there, they'll take care of you. If not, you gotta speak up.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:04 PM   #102

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Why are members that have a trailer with a 4" frame even commenting on this frame recall fiasco ? If the structural integrity of YOUR trailer was questionable, you might be a bit more concerned. Are there currently openings for moderators ?
Well, since you asked. I commented because I have a fairly high level of welding experience and I hoped to at least clarify a bit how onerous the required welding is. Welding difficulty covers a huge range. The requirement for this repair is the simplest level and requires only the most basic of welders. It is well within the skill set of DIY'ers. I suspect some of the mods will be done either by owners or a friend who has a welder. The only problem I see is that some well established shops don't really like taking on small "one off" jobs and their labor rate reflects it.

Ironically, for me, the first trailer frame that I welded 50 ah, let's leave it at 50 years ago, was also 3", although 3" channel, not rectangular tube.

So sorry if you construed my comments as unsympathetic, they're not.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:48 PM   #103

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The only problem I see is that some well established shops don't really like taking on small "one off" jobs and their labor rate reflects it.
This is no doubt an issue many will run into, especially if they are already busy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:49 PM   #104

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Like many others, I am a bit frustrated and disappointed that we have to go through this. But in the grand scheme of things, it is a relatively insignificant issue to deal with. I will either get it done locally and pay a bit more, or will wait until next summer and stop in at Escape while on vacation and have the pros do it. I will do no teeth gnashing and will not pull out any of my few remaining hairs worrying about this.
A very reasonable attitude.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:53 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by memobug View Post
I wonder if the recall offer applies only to the original purchaser?
No, a recall should never be limited to the original purchaser, but this does raise a good point...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We are second owners. Escape trailer knows that. They sent us a specific email for the recall so I am reasonably sure that if they know you're out there, they'll take care of you. If not, you gotta speak up.
I agree - buyers of used trailers should notify the manufacturer so they can be contacted if necessary.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:58 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The only problem I see is that some well established shops don't really like taking on small "one off" jobs and their labor rate reflects it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is no doubt an issue many will run into, especially if they are already busy.
That might not be a problem for a while in Alberta, as there may be many welders with spare time on their hands.

I would take this work to a neighbour who is experienced, well equipped... and owes me favour. I do realize that most people are not in this situation, and if I didn't have that neighour, I would pay the difference between what is covered and the required minimum - just a cost of ownership, as everything has a cost of ownership.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:03 AM   #107

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Did I miss something about why this came up in the first place? Was there an accident or near accident with a trailer?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:36 AM   #108

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Did I miss something about why this came up in the first place? Was there an accident or near accident with a trailer?
Hi: Ruthe... First was an announcement from Reace about a potential weak spot/weld in the frames. He chose to make a recall to add fish plates over the welds to avoid a failure.
This action on the part of ETI seems to have caused some owners to feel scammed or worse... and the compensation offer inadequate. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #109

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Buyer Beware...used trailer with these defects!

There will be novice "Escapees" out there whom are looking for a used trailer, and may not know about this recall.

I came across some used trailers recently, and fortunately having learned about this through extensive forum searches and research, was able to inquire thus of the seller.

*Note, that in a couple of cases, this information was NOT volunteered!!!

If the sellers aren't forthcoming, that's a problem. I shudder to think what could happen to some unknowing chump.

Again, it just supports my suggestion about having permanent "stickies" at the beginning of each forum, with vital and concise information at first glance!
Stuff that won't get "lost in the sauce" or the search, as it were...

Perhaps this is something the moderators would consider doing?
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Again, it just supports my suggestion about having permanent "stickies" at the beginning of each forum, with vital and concise information at first glance!
Stuff that won't get "lost in the sauce" or the search, as it were...

Perhaps this is something the moderators would consider doing?
This thread was made into a sticky almost right away.

If there ends up being too many stickies on all the subforums, they lose effect, as very few people will read them all when they first come here. Most people just look for new posts anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #111

"Vital" sticky

Quote:
This thread was made into a sticky almost right away.

If there ends up being too many stickies on all the subforums, they lose effect, as very few people will read them all when they first come here. Most people just look for new posts anyway.
Yes, I see that it was. 'Just thought that very pertinent, important, or concise info could be made into a short, but vital sticky...not an entire thread with responses.
That way, further discussion and info could still be relegated to a search further in the sub-forum.
'Just trying to offer options I've seen work wonderfully elsewhere!
Old 09-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #112

Quote:
Yes, I see that it was. 'Just thought that very pertinent, important, or concise info could be made into a short, but vital sticky...not an entire thread with responses.
That way, further discussion and info could still be relegated to a search further in the sub-forum.
'Just trying to offer options I've seen work wonderfully elsewhere!
I do agree that this announcement from Escape could be made a closed sticky, with all the responses and such in another thread.

The issue could be that what some would find pertinent, others would not. Could make for a lengthy bunch of stickies.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #113

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
So it sounds like there haven't been any accidents, etc. with the 3"?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #114

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:

No one has come forward and announced one to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers
Doug
Old 09-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #115
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:

Take a look at post #1 and #3 Ruthe - pretty much says it all.

I'm assuming that Reace noted a potentially weak weld either by inspecting a 3" framed trailer, or by a report from an owner. In either case, no mishaps reported - he just wants to eliminate any potential future problems.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #116

Quote:
I do agree that this announcement from Escape could be made a closed sticky, with all the responses and such in another thread.
Sure, and I have no complaint if the moderators choose to do that.

On the other hand, announcements of this type belong on the Escape Trailer Industries website. I appreciate them sharing it here, and this forum being available for discussion, but I don't see the forum as the most appropriate source of definitive announcements.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #117

Quote:
I came across some used trailers recently, and fortunately having learned about this through extensive forum searches and research, was able to inquire thus of the seller.

*Note, that in a couple of cases, this information was NOT volunteered!!!

If the sellers aren't forthcoming, that's a problem. I shudder to think what could happen to some unknowing chump.
When was "recently"?

The announcement which started this thread was only five days ago, and the first post by a member who had received the recall letter was the same day. Postal delivery times can vary by days, so I would not assume that an owner - even today - is aware of the recall. If they were not in the target audience, their trailer is unaffected and so they would not have been informed of the recall. I certainly would not assume that sellers are any less than honest.

This is a good reminder that in buying any vehicle (motor vehicle or trailer) it is prudent to check with the manufacturer for recalls.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:39 PM   #118

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Curious. Given how hard it is to find a used Escape.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #119

Wow!

Wow! Such "curious" comments!

One has to wonder why...and the motive!

Even in a couple of other sub-forums, Jim and others spoke about the deference to "privacy" when discussing potential sales transactions such as pricing and other pertinent particulars.

So, I'm confused as to the point of your comments ...are you asking a specific question with regard to my Escape buying pursuit and potential purchase?

Or, is it more pertaining to the topic of not so forth-coming sellers?

What exactly are you driving at, or wish to know? Or better yet, explain the tenor of your comments! Pm me, if you'd like...
Old 09-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #120

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We have only known about this for a few days so a seller would have to have just posted a unit for sale. Most owners may not know about it yet as perhaps they have yet to be contacted by ETI.

The vast majority of owners are not on this forum. Many owners who bought used will not be told by ETI because ETI does not have contact information for them. Or has outdated information for them, or even for those who bought new. Then there are all of those out in their Escapes somewhere with no mail for a while.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote