3" Frame Recall on 15', 17' & 19' Escape Trailers - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #161
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post
What Greggo is describing is exactly what our 2013 15a has. The tube was notched, bent, the 3 cut sides welded back together and a 1/4 inch plate welded on the back. There is definitely no weld on the outside of this bend/joint on our trailer. I am a journeyman welder, trust me, I know what I'm looking at.
Can you attach a photo of your frame. Unless the frame shop was experimenting with your frame, all frames are miter cut and welded with a backing plate.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #162

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
See post #43. Bent = no recall.
What is depicted in #43 is not the "bend" on my frame. The photo shows a sloping curve, mine is a complete angled direction change right where the bend is. I'm wondering if there were other vendors used to fabricate the frames. Like I said earlier, not all Escape 3" frames seem to be created equal. Just to be safe, I plan on doing the mod anyway, heck the more steel there the better, esp when somebody else is picking up the tab.

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:45 PM   #163

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Can you attach a photo of your frame. Unless the frame shop was experimenting with your frame, all frames are miter cut and welded with a backing plate.

Reace
Will do. I was planning on getting in touch regarding the recall and our frame this week as well.
skogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:04 PM   #164

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
What is depicted in #43 is not the "bend" on my frame. The photo shows a sloping curve, mine is a complete angled direction change right where the bend is. I'm wondering if there were other vendors used to fabricate the frames. Like I said earlier, not all Escape 3" frames seem to be created equal. Just to be safe, I plan on doing the mod anyway, heck the more steel there the better, esp when somebody else is picking up the tab.

Greg
I agree, yours does not look like the bend in Reace's picture. Is yours a really nice clean weld or a bend? I can't tell.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:55 PM   #165

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
When Reace referred to the earlier (pre-2009) "bent" design, I believe that he means the intact tube was bent, so there is no cutting at all at the angle in the frame - not this cut/bend/weld three sides idea (which is valid, too... just not what was done on early Escapes.

This is what I saw in earlier Escapes (back in the days when all Escapes were 17 Foot). It is a smooth bend which cannot be made sharply so it is much more gradual than the abrupt corner shown on any of these recently posted photos. I see now (but had forgotten) that it seems to have a reinforcing plate on the inside (also barely visible in Reace's photo). The attached photo is the first one I saw (in a showroom in 2006), just for different perspective from the same thing already shown by Reace in post #43. This is not subject to the recall, and has no issues that I know of.
Attached Thumbnails
EscapeFrameBend.jpg  
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:04 AM   #166

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post
What Greggo is describing is exactly what our 2013 15a has. The tube was notched, bent, the 3 cut sides welded back together and a 1/4 inch plate welded on the back. There is definitely no weld on the outside of this bend/joint on our trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It that is the case, I would wonder if the mending plate is needed.
Even by this method, there is a weld across the bottom of the frame which is under tension, and is a potential failure point... possibly leading to a tear up the outside. The reinforcement plate reduces force on the bottom weld and reinforces the outside of the frame.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #167

Trailer: Escape
Well, we really need to give ETI credit for making the recall work and responding to costumer concerns in this instance.

Wewill ship the brackets along with instructions by the end of the week. Onceshipped we will provide you with an email identifying the mehtod of shipmentand a tracking number.
Pleaseremember to provide us with a copy of the invoice for reimbursement. Pleasenote after receiving feeback from several customers Escape Trailer Industrieshas opted to increase the cost for reimbursement upto $100cdn or $100usd.
Wesincerely apologize for this inconvience. Please feel free to forward anyquestions you may have.
TammyHarmatuik, Business Manager

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #168

Reace and Tammy, you guys are the best! My kit arrived today, 2 day priority mail, includes everything I need with illustrated instructions.

Thanks!

Ps-after I posted this, I got a letter with more info and reimbursement instructions!
Attached Thumbnails
20150929_133033.jpg  
Old 09-29-2015, 06:28 PM   #169

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
I stand corrected. After taking a better look it is quite likely it was welded and ground smooth. It is actually easier to see the grind marks with the photo than the naked eye.So much for knowing what I'm looking at
Attached Thumbnails
P1000781.jpg  
skogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post

Reace
Hi Reace, looking up close, its really hard to tell. Its absolutely smooth with no grind marks. Apparently, they did a nice job grinding the weld smooth.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
20150929_163919.jpg  
Old 09-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #171

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Here are three of photos of the left side of our 2013 19'. This doesn't add much to the discussion other than I said I would post pictures, and now I can retract what I said earlier about this being something fancier than a simple miter joint. I was confusing the jack base as having something to do with the joint. Well, it sort of does. Looking at that doubler on the inside of the frame, I can't believe this joint is the weak spot in the frame though.

I am a rocket scientist, and I sometimes know what I'm talking about. Sometimes, I don't.
Attached Thumbnails
P1070465.jpg   P1070469.jpg   P1070470.jpg  
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:47 PM   #172

Trailer: Escape
A little history from ETI describing the circumstances that resulted in the recall would be helpful.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #173

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
A little history from ETI describing the circumstances that resulted in the recall would be helpful.
How would it be helpful?
Don't they have enough to do?
Old 09-29-2015, 07:51 PM   #174

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
How would it be helpful?
LOL... Almost exactly what I was about to post. I sure hope this doesn't mean our minds are melding.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #175

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
LOL... Almost exactly what I was about to post. I sure hope this doesn't mean our minds are melding.

Been watching old Star Trek reruns Jim?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #176

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I agree that they have plenty on their plate right now, but I'm also curious about the background for this recall. I'm reminded of the issue a couple of years ago with some spare tire mounts not being welded correctly. I remember the video instructing us on how to test our Escapes by grabbing the mounting post and giving it a mighty pull. If it didn't break off, it was okay. This frame joint is clearly in a different realm, but I'm wondering if a few Escapes didn't have this joint executed correctly and the external doubler is a cure-all.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #177
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I follow manufacturer recalls for motor vehicles... kinda fun! Just like the solar panel attachment points... a couple of failures makes ETI check it up. They care enough about their customers and the business to get in front of issues rather than waiting until lots of folks complain. Isn't that refreshing?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
How would it be helpful?
Agreed. I was just thinking, what if we were dealing with Winnebago or Thor and trying to get anything out of them! HA! Fuhgedaboudit!
Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #179

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Greggo
Didn't realize you were mobbed up. I'll start treating you better and hope you don't need a favor.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #180

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Here are three of photos of the left side of our 2013 19'. This doesn't add much to the discussion other than I said I would post pictures,
Well it's been an interesting thread for those who like to know these sorts of things. I hadn't specifically looked at that area of the frame previously so I'm happy to see the interior backing plate. Between that and a weld that's difficult to tell from a bend I'm confident that I won't be having any issues with that area.

For those with the 3" frame that have the mending plate added I think that the frame will also become free from potential problems.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote