Changes to the 21' down the road ? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2018, 03:38 PM   #41

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have never operated that switch but once in 6 years of use.

Even by accident if you were the one who set way over in the corner for a game of cards? Heck I have done that one.
Now it lives in a nice recessed enclosure and has a couple hundred more amps capability on top of that. And if the table is down I do not need to crawl through the narrow tunnel to access it. Its right out in the open.
Attached Thumbnails
new position.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:18 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Even by accident if you were the one who set way over in the corner for a game of cards? Heck I have done that one.
Now it lives in a nice recessed enclosure and has a couple hundred more amps capability on top of that. And if the table is down I do not need to crawl through the narrow tunnel to access it. Its right out in the open.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:29 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Switches and panels

I can’t top that Jim, I’ve only not used the switch for 5 years. Carl asked me the brand of my controller last weekend, I had to go inside and look. I had not looked at it since it was installed last August. The only thing I look at regularly besides the microwave clock is the EMS readout to see what the AC is pulling when she lugs down to cool this old man off. We did dead short a wire last October and fried one of the little fuses. This was dangerous because when I laid down on the floor to change it, some environmentalists came rushing in and tried to pull me out the door. They thought I was a beached whale.
I’m ok now after the dunking and a new fuse.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
I wish they had offered black out shades as an option when we bought our 17B
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #45

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
I wish they had offered black out shades as an option when we bought our 17B
I hear you, I use Reflectix cut to size but black outs would be easier and look nicer.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:56 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
[QUOTE=Iowa Dave;262964
We did dead short a wire last October and fried one of the little fuses.
Iowa Dave[/QUOTE]

Another reason that I like my battery disconnect close and with fast access.

I had a car headlight switch short out, smoke pouring out under the dash. Popped the hood and the battery cable was smoking hot. Somehow got it disconnected. Because the fire department attended a complete new wiring harness was covered by insurance. Being able to quickly disconnect your batter; priceless.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I offer a friendly counter that yours is a special case, Ron, and that my statement stands for standard, factory-installed equipment employed in “normal” usage, if there is such a thing [emoji6]
Just been busy but have that nice switch that will be moved about where yours is , Ron Have always hated where it is under the table in the corner . Need to use the switch many times to cut power . Not worried with new switch it being turned on or off . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Yup like that placement too ! Pat
Old 09-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #49

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Like our 19', our 21' has the EMS reader, the battery switch, the fuse box and the solar controller all underneath the dinette (we have the U-shaped). Woke up the second night in the trailer and happened to notice that the EMS was showing "OFF" and not flashing. Half asleep, we kind of panicked even though everything was working normally. After locating the manual, we found that one of us must have hit the switch (which I didn't even know was there) and, thus, turned off the EMS. Add this to the fact I've kicked open the fuse panel I don't know how many times already and I, too, wish these monitors were in another location -- but where in such a small space?

Also, we were told during our orientation that the battery switch should never be turned off unless the trailer is going into storage. BUT, I also found out that by turning the battery switch off, the propane sensor won't work (we, too, were asked if we traveled with dogs and if they 'passed gas', which might set off the propane detector). When I put forth the thought that, should we leave the trailer with the dogs inside, we could turn off the propane and switch off the battery, assuring that the detector wouldn't 'beep' and put our Border Collie into cardiac arrest, the ETI rep reluctantly said that it was "a possibility". Wonder if this would suffice rather than installing a propane detector cut-off switch ....

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Like our 19', our 21' has the EMS reader, the battery switch, the fuse box and the solar controller all underneath the dinette (we have the U-shaped). Woke up the second night in the trailer and happened to notice that the EMS was showing "OFF" and not flashing. Half asleep, we kind of panicked even though everything was working normally. After locating the manual, we found that one of us must have hit the switch (which I didn't even know was there) and, thus, turned off the EMS. Add this to the fact I've kicked open the fuse panel I don't know how many times already and I, too, wish these monitors were in another location -- but where in such a small space?

Also, we were told during our orientation that the battery switch should never be turned off unless the trailer is going into storage. BUT, I also found out that by turning the battery switch off, the propane sensor won't work (we, too, were asked if we traveled with dogs and if they 'passed gas', which might set off the propane detector). When I put forth the thought that, should we leave the trailer with the dogs inside, we could turn off the propane and switch off the battery, assuring that the detector wouldn't 'beep' and put our Border Collie into cardiac arrest, the ETI rep reluctantly said that it was "a possibility". Wonder if this would suffice rather than installing a propane detector cut-off switch ....
A couple of times our little dogs also shut off the ems . I will take a picture tomorrow to show what I did to solve that from happening . Pat
Old 09-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
My first mod to our 2017 21 was moving the battery isolator switch. We accidentally turned off our batteries on the way home from picking up the trailer. The style and location of the switch installed at the factory is unfortunate, to be nice. I used the existing hole to mount a DC charger for my laptop and put in a Blue Sea 6006 switch under the rear seat of our U-shaped dinette. I do occasionally use this switch for battery maintenance, when working on our 12VDC system, etc.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #52

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
I don't know exactly how you are wired, but this would obviously only work if you were not plugged into shore power because the converter would still be providing 12V to everything. The only option if on shore power would be to turn off the 12V switch and the converter separately, but that can be difficult if the converter is twinned on a 120V breaker with something else you are trying to run (i.e. fridge). Our converter is wired in with the fridge on a utility pigtail and you would presumably need the fridge on electric because you are turning off the propane. If you do this you will obviously lose everything that is 12V like the lights, MaxxFan, furnace (propane is off anyway...). Only things that could be run would be microwave, AC and 120V outlets. Since the smoke detector (smoke/CO combo in newer models) is alkaline or lithium battery powered you will not lose that functionality either. With all this said, it is probably much easier and more convenient to just wire in a switch that can cut power to the propane detector.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
A couple of times our little dogs also shut off the ems . I will take a picture tomorrow to show what I did to solve that from happening . Pat
Melted a piece of plastic to make a cover . Used a heat gun from Harbor Freight form over a 2/4 board , drilled holes to mount . Never have had problem again it being shut off . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0451.jpg  
Old 09-18-2018, 07:06 PM   #54

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Oooh, great idea! Thanks.

And you're right Rubicon ... we would also have to disonnect from shore power to silence the sensor. Easier just to take the dogs with us when we go out.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #55
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
huh, on my 21, the EMS is way up high, above the fridge.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #56

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Love that! Thought about using a drawer handle but can’t find a wide shallow one.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #57

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Have not seen you on the forum for some time Dave, have you been hibernating?
Not hibernating but I guess I haven't check in for while
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #58

Trailer: 2016 5.0
We love our Casita Freedom Deluxe. Have for 8 years now. Considering an Escape 21 for retirement. Any thoughts?
JumpinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #59

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJoe View Post
We love our Casita Freedom Deluxe. Have for 8 years now. Considering an Escape 21 for retirement. Any thoughts?
You'll probably do what most owners who "upgrade" to an Escape do...never look back.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #60

When we first looked at Escape Trailers, the 5th wheel had a single axle.
We asked Reace and Tammy, if we could purchase one with dual axles.
The answer was no, they would have to rework the mounds, to expensive.
We purchased a 19, the 19 has dual axles.
Our reason, we lived in the Yukon, we , in my mind needed dual axles.

A short time later, Escape produced a 5th wheel with dual axles.
Have patience, talk to Reace, am sure they can work it out.
The

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote