Dinette height - 21 vs. 19 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Great information Doug!

Thanks,
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
I'll see what the wife thinks of the idea, but I may put adding a 3" riser to the benches on my project list. The bench might be too tall for her in that case, though. Raising the floor as well as the bench would work, but then it's be a tripping hazard.
Well, after sitting there tonight, "the wife" (who is 5' 4 1/2", btw) thinks that would be a good idea. When I'm sitting upright at the dinette, my chin is level with the bottom window frame, which puts my line of sight roughly in the bottom 1/3 of the window.

For those times when we care about the view, those extra 3" might just be key....

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House"), 2012 Nissan Frontier
cathyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd wait, sometimes we only opened the front cover a third for "privacy reasons" during the day and there were times we never opened the front cover. Try using the unit somewhat before trying to make some maybe unneeded changes.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #24

Trailer: Working on my build list
This thread is scaring me since I'm right on the edge of picking a 19 and trying to decide on options. I'm short and like Donna, I live in the Pacific Northwest. I'm buying a trailer because I want to be able to sit inside and watch the rain blow sideways on days I wouldn't want to be tenting. I'd hate to not be able to see out.

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I have not decided on a front or rear bed yet and it sounds as if this may be an important factor.

Is there anyone with a 19 that has a tape measure handy? If I knew how high above the bench the front and rear windows normally are I could do the math on how high I might need to have the seats raised. My legs are short enough I would probaly have to have the floor raised as well.

Thanks
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #25

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Has Escape changed their front dinette window to a somewhat smaller version to accommodate the bunk bed option?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19ft. "Eh'gloo"
WestEnder hit on the question . . what is the height from the bench seat to the base of the window. Torso height is the critical factor. Raising the bench and dinette floor area a few inches may be the ideal solution.
Scruffy Varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #27

Top of seat cushion to bottom of window: 26"
Top of table to bottom of window: 15"
floor to top of seat cushion: 19"

You'll likely sink into the seat cushion a couple of inches when you sit on it, so don't forget to take that into account.

Looking at the window, there's a lot of space between the table top and the window bottom. It may be because of the bunk option, but looking at the front of the trailer there is a flat section specifically for the window. Below the window, the front of the trailer isn't flat. So even if you aren't getting a bunk, it might not be possible to put in a larger window.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #28

Trailer: Working on my build list
Thanks Doug, you have just saved me from a problem. If I sit as straight as I can on the floor, my eyes are at 29". If I slouch a bit my eyes are at 27". If the cushions were soft, I wouldn't be able to see out of a 26" window. I'm glad I found that out before I ordered a trailer.

From the photos I have seen, it looks as if the rear windows are lower. Is that true? If so, is there someone with the rear dinette who would mind taking some measurements back there or who could measure how far off the floor the rear windows are? Thanks in advance.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #29

I can't help on the rear dinette, since we have the stock 19 queen-sized bed. Taking down and setting up a bed every night is a non-starter, as would be two of us sleeping in the front dinette area -- the queen-sized bed was what sold us on the 19.

If I were starting over, I'd seriously consider raising the benches in the front dinette (and maybe the floor as well, to avoid dangling feet). As it is, I'll add raising the bench seats to my list, though not at a very high priority. I do like having eye level in the center of the windows. On the other hand, I'll have to be careful not to raise the seats so much that headroom would be a problem.

It would be worth asking Reace if it's possible to put a larger window in front. I suspect it's not possible, but it's free to ask.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #30

Trailer: None
I've commented once before about this but what confuses me is the window/dinette height on some of the pictures that I have seen for the 21'.

I'm specifically referring to this thread: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...on-2532-2.html and post #20. In the 2nd picture of that thread, the woman is sitting at the 21' dinette. Notice that the distance between the lower window ledge and the top of the dinette cushion is only an inch or two. She can see clearly out through the middle of the windows.

But when you look at the official pix of the 21' on Escape's site, the distance between window and cushion is a good 8" or so. That would put the average viewer back to seeing only just over the bottom ledge if that.

If I am to order an Escape trailer, I want the window/dinette height that I am seeing in the thread cited above. Whatever that takes, higher dinette, higher cushions, that is what I want. Maybe once the production 21's start arriving, we might get some definitive pix.

Rosemary

Follow along Down the Road with Me.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #31

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEnder View Post
If so, is there someone with the rear dinette who would mind taking some measurements back there or who could measure how far off the floor the rear windows are? Thanks in advance.
I was going to check on my 19 today but its raining like crazy (I keep her stored about 1/2 hour away). I'll be checking on her Tuesday and will try to grab measurements then.

Meanwhile, here's a pic of the rear dinette area. You can see the raised floor, and that the cushions almost touch the bottom of the window. At 5'3" I have no trouble seeing outside.

ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #32

Thanks for the measurements Doug. Sitting comfortably, my eye level is at 28 inches, Jennifer at 25 inches.

We finalize our build options next month, so for us this is a great time for this conversation. I'm thinking that raising the dinette area (floor and benches to keep the 19 inch bench and relative table height) about 4 inches is a potential solution. The next concern of course is head clearance so the overhead cabinets don't become a noggin' bonker. This potentially also gives greater storage space in the passenger side bench.

Greg
Old 10-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #33

Why not reverse it like ColoRockiesFan did, put the "U" dinette in rear with the higher floor already there and make the front a permanent double bed. Problem solved.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #34

The bed in the front of the 19 is way too small for 2 people. My opinion, of course.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #35

I remember sleeping on a twin in my college apartment, it seemed to be always big enough......
Old 10-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #36

The primary reason for going with the 19' is the queen bed. "If mama ain't happy, ..." ;-)

Greg
Old 10-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We are sitting at our 19 dinette right now and find the window height fine. We have standard cushions. I am 5' 11" and my eyes are about 7" up from the bottom of the window. My wife is 5' 1" and her eyes are about 2" above the bottom of the window and she says she can see fine out the window. We thought about ordering the thicker cushions when we ordered but worried about not fitting to the table properly and are glad we did not get them.

Enjoying the Escape, life is good
Old 10-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #38

Those numbers do not add up, if she is 10" shorter than you, then her eyes have to be 10" lower than yours and if you are 7" above the frame, she has to be looking at white vinyl?? Just doesn't add up, in my mind. Help me understand them?
Old 10-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Overall height depends on the lengths of their legs and torsos combined. Where their eyes end up depends on the length of torsos.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #40

Not really, if someone is a foot taller overall, regardless if they have 3 feet long legs or 4' long legs their eyes will still be approximately 12" different> Won't they?