Dometic comes through! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I think this needs to be stated frequently on this forum. While ETI has a disclaimer ("Please note that these forums are not operated by Escape Trailer Industries.") on their website, many may assume that Reace and Tammy read this forum religiously and will respond to questions/complaints. That may happen once in a while but it is the exception, not the rule. So the suggestion to e-mail or call them directly is a valid one and was meant without ill intent.

Let's all lighten up!!
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:33 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Patandlinda and Hogawil,
Perhaps you may have misunderstood my remark, as others seem to have mentioned. Issues you may have with Escape fixing a problem is best directed to them. Parts or repairs needed should be addressed to them. This forum is not part of Escape Industries. Am I making my point? Please let me or another site team member know if you are unclear about this.
This forum may not be part of Escape Industries but is about them and the products that they sell. Discussion of the products and components is what this forum should be about. I have rarely experienced a moderator trying to keep a thread on track let alone closing a thread to end valid discussion.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #43

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I think this needs to be stated frequently on this forum. While ETI has a disclaimer ("Please note that these forums are not operated by Escape Trailer Industries.") on their website, many may assume that Reace and Tammy read this forum religiously and will respond to questions/complaints. That may happen once in a while but it is the exception, not the rule. So the suggestion to e-mail or call them directly is a valid one and was meant without ill intent.

Let's all lighten up!!
Well said Karen and Gbaglo.
grape_escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #44
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Please don't send a pm to me through this site. You will receive far better service if you send an email to me at the escape email.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #45

Trailer: Escape 15 2013
My apologies if my comments were not politically correct for this forum. We have loved our trailer but have been plagued by refrig problems during our two years on the road. Rarely have we worked with a company or people more responsive and committed than Reece and Tammy.and I'm sure they are as frustrated with the Dometic refrig failures as we are. We have tried to work with Dometic in the past when the core failed and the process was very difficult but finally doable. I have uncovered a few holes along the way. Running the circulation fans 24/7 doesn't make a significant improvement in cooling. Always parking with the refrig side away from the sun helps a little. The door never seals tightly(on either of my units). The cooling unit performs the same on gas or electric. Packing your refrig too full will effect cooling some. In warm to hot weather milk will last about 4 days in the door. Top ventilated heat exchange units work much better than side vented units
Hogawill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #46

Trailer: 19'
I think that Reace has accomplished something amazing by arranging this fridge swap!

Also, I think that Dometic has made a fabulous offer, this swap could be a large expense for them. I believe that many manufacturer's would not make such an offer (even though they should).

Yet, I am hoping that some owners with the RMD will soon report back on its performance in 90 F+ temperatures. The RMD is also designed to the unfortunate standard of cooling to 43 F, when empty, in 90 F ambient temperature. I am eager to hear peoples' experience with the new fridge and what difference the RMD's stronger cooling unit makes.

So get out there and let us know!
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape, 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogawill View Post
In warm to hot weather milk will last about 4 days in the door. Top ventilated heat exchange units work much better than side vented units
Just as an aside, it's not really recommended to keep milk on the door even in home compressor type refrig. We just bought a fancy new one and noticed that in the manual. karen
KarenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:54 AM   #48

Not many choices when your on the road with a small refrig
Old 03-29-2015, 11:23 AM   #49

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find myself buying the smaller containers when preparing for a trip, OJ and milk in pints or quarts fit better, I just buy two of each.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #50

Thanks for your thoughts! We have been on the road almost constantly for the last two years in warm to hot climates and I think over time we have tried everything reasonable to keep our food including your suggestions, fortunatedly my wife was usually in charge of food and coolers on our many extended river trips includind some threee week trips in the heat of summer on the Grand canyon section of the Colorado so she is really good with refrig. and if I want to get in trouble I only have to open the door for more than 2 seconds. We hoped in our old age we would have a bit easier of a time with food and we do have a trailer in Baja with a wonderful refrig so only in the north do we suffer with THIS PROBLEM
Old 03-29-2015, 10:04 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 21ft Escape
Well from Texas I say Yippee!! Thank you Reace for diligently staying on the Dometic people and trying for a fix. We have shown our 21 to many people and the only negative thing we ever said was about the fridge. We showed it today to a couple and they asked about the fridge saying they had seen the topic on the forum. We assured the people that you were working on a fix with Dometic and not to let that be the reason not to get a superior trailer.

We will be sending our info tomorrow and hope for a great result. We will see you at Bluebonnet and are excited about the fix, it will be well worth the cost.

Thank You!!
Robbie
trailseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:17 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
I've been following this thread for a couple of days and I feel increasingly uneasy about its tone. While some people expressed gratitude for what Reace accomplished, a few are turning this good news into a bitch session. I think that is uncalled for.

The Escape Forum IS an appropriate place to express legitimate frustration about the poor engineering that went into Dometic refrigerators. But this specific thread started off as a joyful announcement by Reace that he broke through the Dometic logjam and negotiated a very fair settlement for the replacement of their crappy single door refrigerators. That only happened because Reace never quit advocating on behalf of his customers. Reace is a good man. He's someone who operates from a place of integrity, and he always appears to put his customers first.

How about we use this thread to acknowledge Reace's efforts and his success, and leave frustration about Dometic to another thread? I think that's the respectful thing to do.
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #53

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Well put -- Thanks!
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Karen View Post
I've been following this thread for a couple of days and I feel increasingly uneasy about its tone. While some people expressed gratitude for what Reace accomplished, a few are turning this good news into a bitch session. I think that is uncalled for.

The Escape Forum IS an appropriate place to express legitimate frustration about the poor engineering that went into Dometic refrigerators. But this specific thread started off as a joyful announcement by Reace that he broke through the Dometic logjam and negotiated a very fair settlement for the replacement of their crappy single door refrigerators. That only happened because Reace never quit advocating on behalf of his customers. Reace is a good man. He's someone who operates from a place of integrity, and he always appears to put his customers first.

How about we use this thread to acknowledge Reace's efforts and his success, and leave frustration about Dometic to another thread? I think that's the respectful thing to do.
All very true, but everyone did move on a couple days ago. We had a big group hug, and all is fine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #55

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We have one of the first dual door fridges in our 21, I will warn people to check the adjustment of the door latches on delivery, I had to adjust both the fridge and freezer doors to get the latches working properly. We havn't had warm enough weather to be able to give any info on cooling ability. For what is worth it worked fine @ below freezing
The fridge door was pretty easy as there was enough adjustment in the slots on the latch but the freezer door was way off and I had to drill new holes behind the existing ones to move the latch back far enough to get it working properly .
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:30 PM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Since you had to drill new holes to facilitate proper closure of the freezer door that speaks to the lack of quality control during manufacture. And, no one diligently inspecting the final product.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:53 PM   #57

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
Since you had to drill new holes to facilitate proper closure of the freezer door that speaks to the lack of quality control during manufacture. And, no one diligently inspecting the final product.
I would agree, a minor adjustment afterwards doesn't seem that big a deal to me but the freezer door was so far out that it was just not good enough. Well its all good now.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #58

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I decided today to go ahead and switch mine, sent ETI the needed info. Now the wait starts. I checked, there is a authorized Dometic repair center about 3 miles away. They have gotten good reviews.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #59

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I plan to do the same, but I'm curious to see if ETI offers any guidance on retrofitting these new fridges into their as-built openings in older ones like our 2013 model. I like our local RV shop, but I'm not as confident of their fabricating results as I would be if we could take the Escape back to the factory.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:11 PM   #60

Trailer: Escape
Do the trailers need to be returned to ETI for the frig replacement ?