Dometic RML 8555 owner statistics - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Dometic RML 8555 owner statistics

As Dometic has agreed to replace those poorly functioning units, some owners may or may not have issues. I never really camped in 95 degree weather nor had spoiled food. That said I thought it may be helpful for those owners to see what others have to deal with. I thought a log maybe helpful my myself and others to compare. Hopefully this will enable me to determine if my unit is functioning inadequately or not.

I'll start with my information:
I turned on my refer this past Sunday after this past brutal winter. I see the control to #3 on 120v and installed my thermometers. Now since thermometers are known to be inaccurate, I have 3 to determine the correct information. The wireless digital, the Taylor model Alf mentioned and the old fashioned round unit found every where.

I have found the round unit it the least accurate because the Taylor and digital units agree.
Stats:
Monday it was sunny and warm, temperatures in 70's. The digital read 42/8 for the refer/freezer. The digital also showed the hi/low to be 61(when it was turned on) and a low of 6.
Tuesday, cloudy but still warm, no change. I turned on the interior fans I installed with the fridge fix kit last year. On Wednesday the reading was 38/3. Today it is colder so I'll report tomorrow when it supposed to get warmer again. Refer is still on #3 setting.
Feel free to record your own info if you like.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Hi: cpaharley2008... When we get home I will start replacement proceedings. The door is so flimsy as to leak cold air and cause condensation at the latch. On a still air day it struggles at 80+*
Temps have varied from now 37* set on 4 bars, to as high as 44*. Some mornings it's 32* but if we use the MaxxFan o'er night it's a lot higher.
At present it needs defrosting but we have no cooler to sub. I did leave the thermistor sensor off the fins for this trip. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Headin' for Tenn. Friday

escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I like your idea of people logging actual fridge/freezer temperatures in relation to outside temperature. But don't stop there. It would be so useful if fridge users could submit a form (developed by moderators/Reace) that would help get a handle on how many units are problematic. Ask the right questions and you could give Reace even more ammunition if the problem persists. I have read some posts that appear to expect more from these fridges than they are capable of doing, but many more that appear to be legitimately under performing. You could provide such a form under files or have a link to it, have people email it to a designated moderator and have them compile the data for Reace and others to give Dometic, concrete information. As my trailer will begin construction in the next week or two, I wonder how big the issue is. I know that there are measures being taken to address the problem, but I still wonder how prevalent it is. Are there Escapers with this fridge who use in the 80 - 90 deg F temperatures and can demonstrate it at least comes close to the expected performance? If there ever was a forum capable of compiling such valuable information this one is it.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape
Can we limit the results to the data without any auxiliary devices (fans, etc.) and the frig kept in the standard OE configuration ?
This will help determine if the frig actually cools adequately in warm and hot weather and if more add on devices are actually needed.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I like your idea of people logging actual fridge/freezer temperatures in relation to outside temperature. But don't stop there. It would be so useful if fridge users could submit a form (developed by moderators/Reace) that would help get a handle on how many units are problematic. Ask the right questions and you could give Reace even more ammunition if the problem persists. I have read some posts that appear to expect more from these fridges than they are capable of doing, but many more that appear to be legitimately under performing. You could provide such a form under files or have a link to it, have people email it to a designated moderator and have them compile the data for Reace and others to give Dometic, concrete information. As my trailer will begin construction in the next week or two, I wonder how big the issue is. I know that there are measures being taken to address the problem, but I still wonder how prevalent it is. Are there Escapers with this fridge who use in the 80 - 90 deg F temperatures and can demonstrate it at least comes close to the expected performance? If there ever was a forum capable of compiling such valuable information this one is it.

Bob K
How do we define the expected performance ? Would this be the parameters of the SN subnormal temperature design ratings ?
Old 04-09-2015, 05:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
We're beating a dead horse here, what folks have encountered has been posted ad nauseam, plus they've already agreed to replace them. Temps get over 80-85, fridge can't stay at safe levels.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Jim, I believe I understand your dilemma. Having not camped in really hot weather, you would like to be able to compare operation at lower ambient temperatures with others in hopes of making some determination about how yours will work on hot days, so you can feel justified in asking for a replacement. You don't have much else to go on. The problem is, there are just too many confounding factors to make such a determination. The question I would suggest is to ask how many 8555 owners have had acceptable cooling at 90 degrees or above. Ours works great below 80 degrees, similar to what you're reporting. At 90, it's terrible, and we have thrown away a lot of food as a result. I don't recall anyone bragging about how well their 8555 works at 90 degrees or higher. If there are some instances of this, I'd love to hear about them.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
The information I was hoping to gather would just be data, any conclusions would have to come later. I'm not trying to reopen the other issues, just collecting data for future reference. As a side note, it appears the only other manufacturer, Norcold is having issues of their own, fires. Norcold recall and settlement....
Old 04-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #9

"As a side note, it appears the only other manufacturer, Norcold is having issues of their own, fires. Norcold recall and settlement.... "
How is this relevant to the performance of Dometic refrigerators ?
The Norcold recall is for older production refrigerators.
http://www.norcoldrecall.com/
Old 04-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
While I didn't have a thermometer Jim, my last trip was average outside -5 to teens C. Inside roughly 15-18C all week.

Had the fridge on "4" and it held no surprises. No frozen milk, no spoilt milk - everything cold as I felt OK with. When I remembered to check the ice pack in the freezer (once) it was plenty frozen.

A "4" under those easy conditions could/would be corollary to Parker's comments about higher temps, especially since I supposedly have the improved door.