ETI presentation at Pineknot TX Rally Oct 2019 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
ETI presentation at Pineknot TX Rally Oct 2019

Had a great time at the Pineknot rally. Lots of Escapes, 21's outnumbered the others by far.

Karl Kinney and David Desjardins from ETI gave a long presentation and Q&A session yesterday. They laid out their vision for ETI for the future - lots more details than I can cover here but I'll try to hit the high points.

They have a LOT of ideas, and a clear long term plan for ETI. They absolutely intend to keep the direct to customer, build to order with lots of customization model that has made Escape so popular. They are looking, as ETI has in the past, at incorporating frequently requested items as standard or ETI-supplied options, like the Springfield pedestal and Zamp external solar connection. There will be even more options and packages of options, also looking at a more robust off-road 17. Karl and David toured a lot of trailers and probably came away with even more ideas for improvements and additions.

While nothing is final, they are planning on a US Escape rally in 2020, likely in Texas. They also want to have a US delivery and orientation facility open in 2020, again looking at Texas, and then also to provide service and warranty work at that facility. The ultimate goal is to have a US production facility.

Lots of questions about the new 21 floor plan and new 23 model. The new 21 plan specifics will be coming out soon. Details of the new 23 are still being worked out...with a new mold costing roughly $100K, everything needs to be well thought out before finalizing that. Plan is to have a walk-around queen in the front, dry bath and kitchen in the middle, and rear dinette. Lots of logistics to work out with the plumbing, electric, working around wheel wells etc. It will be 8 feet wide and that also presents engineering issues with the shell. Tanks and drain plumbing may be enclosed underneath, different from the current spray foam setup.

Escape's marketing in the past was pretty much exclusively word of mouth. David is building a marketing plan on many fronts, we'll see a lot of new things in the coming months to build brand awareness. And the requirement to provide contact info on the website in order to view the options list has been eliminated, it can now be skipped.

Overall my impression is that ETI is in very good hands. This is looking like a rare instance of a small, unique company expanding significantly while still keeping the quality and culture that made them so successful.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Thanks for the update. Exciting times.

Wait, how does that Chinese proverb go? No, that’s about “interesting times”.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Had a great time at the Pineknot rally. Lots of Escapes, 21's outnumbered the others by far.

Karl Kinney and David Desjardins from ETI gave a long presentation and Q&A session yesterday. They laid out their vision for ETI for the future - lots more details than I can cover here but I'll try to hit the high points.

They have a LOT of ideas, and a clear long term plan for ETI. They absolutely intend to keep the direct to customer, build to order with lots of customization model that has made Escape so popular. They are looking, as ETI has in the past, at incorporating frequently requested items as standard or ETI-supplied options, like the Springfield pedestal and Zamp external solar connection. There will be even more options and packages of options, also looking at a more robust off-road 17. Karl and David toured a lot of trailers and probably came away with even more ideas for improvements and additions.

While nothing is final, they are planning on a US Escape rally in 2020, likely in Texas. They also want to have a US delivery and orientation facility open in 2020, again looking at Texas, and then also to provide service and warranty work at that facility. The ultimate goal is to have a US production facility.

Lots of questions about the new 21 floor plan and new 23 model. The new 21 plan specifics will be coming out soon. Details of the new 23 are still being worked out...with a new mold costing roughly $100K, everything needs to be well thought out before finalizing that. Plan is to have a walk-around queen in the front, dry bath and kitchen in the middle, and rear dinette. Lots of logistics to work out with the plumbing, electric, working around wheel wells etc. It will be 8 feet wide and that also presents engineering issues with the shell. Tanks and drain plumbing may be enclosed underneath, different from the current spray foam setup.

Escape's marketing in the past was pretty much exclusively word of mouth. David is building a marketing plan on many fronts, we'll see a lot of new things in the coming months to build brand awareness. And the requirement to provide contact info on the website in order to view the options list has been eliminated, it can now be skipped.

Overall my impression is that ETI is in very good hands. This is looking like a rare instance of a small, unique company expanding significantly while still keeping the quality and culture that made them so successful.
Karl and Dave from Escape taking the time to come to the rally was appreciated. A lot of information was given and they stayed after the presentation to answer any questions. It sounds like Escape is moving forward with the company and trying to capture more of the US market than before.

The only thing I missed was the opportunity to meet with all the people from the forum while we were there. Sometimes its hard to match a face and name with the forum handles we "talk" to almost daily. My neighbors at the rally was Dave and Vicky and when Dave mentioned that his forum handle was "Oldtimer", it was like we were old friends. We have discussed stuff on the forum for a while but never met face to face. Maybe setting up an Escape group meeting at the rally would be good.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
ETI presentation at Pineknot TX Rally Oct 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Sometimes its hard to match a face and name with the forum handles we "talk" to almost daily. My neighbors at the rally was Dave and Vicky and when Dave mentioned that his forum handle was "Oldtimer", it was like we were old friends. We have discussed stuff on the forum for a while but never met face to face. Maybe setting up an Escape group at the rally would be good.

Maybe name tags with forum handles on them?
Old 10-28-2019, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Maybe name tags with forum handles on them?
That would be great! Now why didn't we think of that before.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #6

Quote:

The only thing I missed was the opportunity to meet with all the people from the forum while we were there. Sometimes its hard to match a face and name with the forum handles we "talk" to almost daily. My neighbors at the rally was Dave and Vicky and when Dave mentioned that his forum handle was "Oldtimer", it was like we were old friends. We have discussed stuff on the forum for a while but never met face to face. Maybe setting up an Escape group meeting at the rally would be good.
Yes - I knew you were at the rally and never ran into you so I came looking for you on Saturday, met Dave and he told me you had just left.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Great report, David.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I talked with Karl on the 23 and while the design is still being worked out one needs to be ready for the weight cap. ( around 7500 lbs Max) and cost, inThe area of 40 k but hopefully less time will tell
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:43 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
I talked with Karl on the 23 and while the design is still being worked out one needs to be ready for the weight cap. ( around 7500 lbs Max) and cost, inThe area of 40 k but hopefully less time will tell
Approaching Oliver statistics.....
Old 10-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i could not skip the contact info part on the web site
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
That is a great idea!

David and others, it was good to meet you and get to visit at the rally. I have not seen nearly that many Escape trailers in one place before. Certainly enough of us now to have a meeting time scheduled at a Texas rally, open to all, of course.

I appreciate Karl and David from ETI attending and answering many questions. I feel much better now that ETI intends to maintain its successful model, along with a commitment to high ethics and very good customer service. Those decisions should lead to a successful future for ETI.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:24 PM   #12

Quote:
I had Escape put my screen name on my name tag as well as my name....a lot easier to recognize screen names at these meets. I carry the name tags in my Escape and always have them when needed
Old 10-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ditto, Fox Hunt. New Escape site not convenient, or simple, when you need to know about available options. If I want to upgrade my trailer, cannot learn price/availability of individual items without playing email-tag.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i could not skip the contact info part on the web site
I just tried it again on both my laptop and my phone and it worked on both. The form for contact info is still there, but as it says you can just click on "Next" and it skips the form and goes to the options. Still does not have the full list of options, just the "big 10" most popular and high dollar ones.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:06 PM   #15

Quote:
I just tried it again on both my laptop and my phone and it worked on both. The form for contact info is still there, but as it says you can just click on "Next" and it skips the form and goes to the options. Still does not have the full list of options, just the "big 10" most popular and high dollar ones.
Thanks! I missed the part about just clicking "next". Been wanting to take a look - now I can.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
So I just clicked on next, and then sent Escape parts and service dept my email request for info on the new recessed stove top. Got an amazingly fast response from Dustin Dionne. Thanks, Dustin.

The new 2-burner is $362 CAD. Dust included a video link to Reace giving an intro to the new stovetop.

My take-away on doing an upgrade? The unit is quite attractive, but...Thinking right now not going to happen. Price-US$ really not so bad, but, I note Reace points out burner area restricts pan size to 8.5", putting knobs at risk for excess heat, and spilled liquids could seep into the gas jet center cavity, which looks like a pain to clean out. I may put that money to more practical use elsewhere.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:06 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Ollie??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Approaching Oliver statistics.....
WE live only 80 or 90 miles from the Oliver factory and took their tour two yrs ago..Great trailers, but daggone by the time we added up all the stuff we wanted it was gonna be north of $80K US and that didn't include another $25K additional for "trading up" to a bigger truck to haul it with...and that was 2017 dollars. True it was a real fine , full 4-season trailer, but we don't camp in winter so that left us trying to rationalize the uuge cost for no benefit, to us.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:59 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
So I just clicked on next, and then sent Escape parts and service dept my email request for info on the new recessed stove top. Got an amazingly fast response from Dustin Dionne. Thanks, Dustin.

The new 2-burner is $362 CAD. Dust included a video link to Reace giving an intro to the new stovetop.

My take-away on doing an upgrade? The unit is quite attractive, but...Thinking right now not going to happen. Price-US$ really not so bad, but, I note Reace points out burner area restricts pan size to 8.5", putting knobs at risk for excess heat, and spilled liquids could seep into the gas jet center cavity, which looks like a pain to clean out. I may put that money to more practical use elsewhere.
Started a thread four years ago "Want better cooktop". Didn't find anything to my liking and got a cast iron diffuser. Now I kinda appreciate the simple Atwood two burner stove.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Started a thread four years ago "Want better cooktop". Didn't find anything to my liking and got a cast iron diffuser. Now I kinda appreciate the simple Atwood two burner stove.
I still miss the kitchen dial phone with the long cord, sometimes progress passes you buy....
Old 10-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I had Escape put my screen name on my name tag as well as my name....a lot easier to recognize screen names at these meets. I carry the name tags in my Escape and always have them when needed
They did that for me too.
Quote:
Good to hear of this change, will have to check it out later.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote