Fastec Lock Recall - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
gbaglo, I'm wasn't including you in my "why didn't you guys just buy new locks' question. You had a problem with the return postage.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
OK. Scratch that part.
Need to point out that when I had a problem removing one of the lock cylinders, I phoned and Fastec had me describe what I was doing and told me what to look for ( a positioning issue ). They were on the phone with me as I removed the cylinder.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I am having difficulty with the deadbolt lock on my Escape 21. It won't let me insert the key without several tries, and I'm afraid I'm going to get locked out. I've squirted it twice with graphite but this doesn't help. The key number is not among those of the locks being recalled by Fastec. Does anyone know if I can fix this, or do I need to try to get a new lock?

thanks,

Mike Lewis
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Mike, which lock is it, the paddle lock or the dead bolt?
Old 04-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #25

The deadbolt.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That was my faulty one, I could not get the key into the cylinder lock. I removed the rear of the lock and got the number off the lock, FASTEC sent me new keys but I still could not put a master key into the deadbolt. Finally had to have a locksmith remove the old cylinder, the new ones work fine.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #27

Okay, thanks; I'll try that.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I might be wrong, but I don't bother locking the dead bolt from the outside.
I might use the lever inside to lock it at night.
I figure if someone wants to break in, being double locked isn't going to help much.
In my experience Fastec will take care of you.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
A few weeks ago, an amateur thief tried to break into our 19' by making cuts in the door around the lock and we're able to somehow unlock the door paddle lock. Only thing that held firm and did not compromise was the deadbolt locked from the out side. In their frustration, they broke the window glass on the right side over the dinette settee. That was apparently too small an opening so they started trying to get into the trailer next to mine and unfortunately, succeeded. That little deadbolt saved my bacon!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #30

This is precisely what I am concerned about. I will have the deadbolt fixed, one way or the other.

Mike Lewis
Old 04-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
A few weeks ago, an amateur thief tried to break into our 19' by making cuts in the door around the lock and we're able to somehow unlock the door paddle lock. Only thing that held firm and did not compromise was the deadbolt locked from the out side. In their frustration, they broke the window glass on the right side over the dinette settee. That was apparently too small an opening so they started trying to get into the trailer next to mine and unfortunately, succeeded. That little deadbolt saved my bacon!
Oh MY . I bet you were heart sick. Did you get everything fixed to your satisfaction? What did you do about the door? ? ? ?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Sorry to hear of your troubles Zardoz. Were you at an RV park?
Old 05-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #33

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B
I finally got around and replaced my lock inserts today. It all went quite easy, and the old locks and tool key are ready to be sent off to Fastec. The dead bolt was immediately out, and the upper one took some fiddling but at last came out as well. And Cafe Egg is back in the summer position, all ready for overnighters.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #34

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I know this is an old thread, but after another owner had problems with their lock I decided to look further into the Fastec recall. It apparently is not as simple as just confirming the key code.

"Regardless of what key code is on your lock, the lock is affected by this recall program if you can remove the key from the deadbolt cylinder in the 9 o’clock position after engaging the deadbolt.To determine if your lock’s deadbolt operates properly ,you should cycle the deadbolt cylinder through all of its operating positions with the user keys. If you can remove the key in 9 o’clock position while the deadbolt is engaged, your cylinders need to be replaced with a new set of cylinders as part of the recall program."

They continue on to say,
"You should not under any circumstances engage the deadbolt and remove the key from the deadbolt cylinder in the 9 o’clock position as this may cause the deadbolt to jam and prevent occupants inside the travel trailer from being able to unlock the door and exit the trailer."

So it appears you are taking some risk of jamming the lock when initiating the test. I would attempt with the door open so the trailer is not locked shut. Of course if you never try to remove the key at any positions besides 12 or 3 o'clock you should in theory never have a problem.

www.fastecindustrial.com/recall/Fastec%20Cylinder%20Recall%20letter.pdf
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold
Fastec Lock Recall **CONFUSED**

I never got around to checking our lock until recently when I was scanning the forum and saw the notice. I called the 800 number and the gal asked me what letters were in front of the number on the key. Our key only has 307 stamped on it. So she asked me to open the lock from the inside (4 screws) and there would be a sticker there with the full number. When I had a few minutes, I did that and the sticker still only has 307, no letters. So I got on the fastec web site and filled out the online form and explained in the space that there were no letters. Sometime after I sent, this I looked at the key more carefully and noticed "Bauer" imprinted into the plastic of the key. Our 17B (we are 2nd owners) was completed over the winter of 2015. Is it possible that ETI was installing "Bauer" locks sometime during 2015 or is "Bauer" the same as Fastec? Anyway a box came from Fastec today with new cylinders but now I'm afraid to attempt anything in case I screw the lock up totally. I checked the deadbolt and it can be removed between the 8 and 9 o'clock position. Can anybody provide insight?

Fred Alexander
Attached Thumbnails
20171106_112836_resized.jpg   20171117_131723_resized.jpg  
fbalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #36

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbalexander View Post
I never got around to checking our lock until recently when I was scanning the forum and saw the notice. I called the 800 number and the gal asked me what letters were in front of the number on the key. Our key only has 307 stamped on it. So she asked me to open the lock from the inside (4 screws) and there would be a sticker there with the full number. When I had a few minutes, I did that and the sticker still only has 307, no letters. So I got on the fastec web site and filled out the online form and explained in the space that there were no letters. Sometime after I sent, this I looked at the key more carefully and noticed "Bauer" imprinted into the plastic of the key. Our 17B (we are 2nd owners) was completed over the winter of 2015. Is it possible that ETI was installing "Bauer" locks sometime during 2015 or is "Bauer" the same as Fastec? Anyway a box came from Fastec today with new cylinders but now I'm afraid to attempt anything in case I screw the lock up totally. I checked the deadbolt and it can be removed between the 8 and 9 o'clock position. Can anybody provide insight?

Fred Alexander
By 2015 ETI was installing Bauer locks. These are different from the earlier Fastec locks involved in the recall. You should be fine as I don't remember seeing (and a quick google search agrees) any recalls for Bauer locks. Just be certain you can check directly with Bauer at 1-866-682-2837. In the off chance you need to mess with the lock I would get cylinders from Bauer and not attempt installing anything from Fastec (even if they might be using the same cylinders).

Bauer Products |
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #37

Trailer: looking for another great egg
Very much enjoy perusing the Escape forum even though we are not fortunate enough to own one...yet. Tons of good information and fun banter back and forth on the posts. Escape owners at the campgrounds are always lots of fun!

Just checked the key to my 2013 fiberglass egg...and low and behold....HF311 recall. Checked out my key on the lock only to find out someone really can get locked inside. Never had this happen.....yet. Went to the FIC website and ordered a replacement cylinder. Their video looks simple enough.

I had not heard anything of this on any of the forums. Thanks for bringing up this thread again as there may also be others,like us, who purchased pre-loved trailers and are not aware of this lock issue.

thanks.....jon
Kanoer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanoer54 View Post

I had not heard anything of this on any of the forums. Thanks for bringing up this thread again as there may also be others,like us, who purchased pre-loved trailers and are not aware of this lock issue.

thanks.....jon
Perhaps you haven't heard about it, because the news is four years old. Not blaming you in the least for not digging back into any of the forums archives. It's just that most of us that may have been affected by the recall, jumped all over it in 2013. I know it was posted on FiberglassRV in Aug. 2013.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote