Fridge Performance - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
So, is there any recent, definitive news from Reace on improving the existing refrigerators? While I realize that summer is a ways off, it seems like considerable time has passed since this issue was acknowledged. Just wondering ...
Now that we have trashed the king's english, can we get back on topic, hopefully someone from Escape Inc will respond soon........Zardoz and inquiring minds want to know.....
Old 03-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape
Back to the top and hopefully for some sense of recourse.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
The dormant entrepreneur in me is screaming that there is big money to be made by providing the RV community with a fridge that actually works!
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #44

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
The dormant entrepreneur in me is screaming that there is big money to be made by providing the RV community with a fridge that actually works!
Well then, there you go! You've got something to do today. Let us know when we can drop by and pick one up!!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #45

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I'll get right on it, I've got one kiddo home sick today so at least I'll have help!
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #46

Trailer: 5.0TA Hopeful
Quote:
Historically, absorptive type refrigerators have been standard in RVs. While this technology is widely used, RV blogs/forums are filled with threads complaining about problems. If your RV objectives are a large fridge and freezer size, low energy consumption, reliable performance, quick cool down, with consistent temperature while being safer to operate, more RVers are installing a compressor cooling design with a seperate lower freezer door. Additionally, they aren't so sensitive to the angle of the RV when parked.
JPCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCAR View Post
Historically, absorptive type refrigerators have been standard in RVs. While this technology is widely used, RV blogs/forums are filled with threads complaining about problems. If your RV objectives are a large fridge and freezer size, low energy consumption, reliable performance, quick cool down, with consistent temperature while being safer to operate, more RVers are installing a compressor cooling design with a seperate lower freezer door. Additionally, they aren't so sensitive to the angle of the RV when parked.
Only caveat: lots of solar. Absorption isn't used in RVs because it's the best. It's used because of propane.

If you want a pretty comprehensive thread on what it takes to switch to a compressor based fridge, and the solar needed to make it practical, I'd suggest checking out Steve's thread on his NovaKool installation.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tion-4741.html

This subject has been analyzed and re-analyzed, but the bottom line is that with the technology that is currently available and practical, you need to produce adequate electrical power and go to substantial expense to switch to compressor refrigeration.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #48

Trailer: 19'
Spoke with Reace yesterday. He's still waiting to receive the newly designed door for testing.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Only caveat: lots of solar. Absorption isn't used in RVs because it's the best. It's used because of propane.
...you need to produce adequate electrical power and go to substantial expense to switch to compressor refrigeration.
Asolutely true, however the cost to design it into the initial build while still more expensive than a propane design/build is not that substantial when you consider all the systems on board that may also be redesigned in the process...And you not only end up with something that works, but is also less expensive and safer to operate.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCAR View Post
Asolutely true, however the cost to design it into the initial build while still more expensive than a propane design/build is not that substantial when you consider all the systems on board that may also be redesigned in the process...And you not only end up with something that works, but is also less expensive and safer to operate.
True enough. But, a compressor fridge as part of the initial build is not done by Escape.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
True enough. But, a compressor fridge as part of the initial build is not done by Escape.
Unfortunately true...
Old 03-03-2015, 03:30 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Spoke with Reace yesterday. He's still waiting to receive the newly designed door for testing.
It is going to take more than a insulated door to solve the insufficient cooling problem. The absorption heat exchange cooling unit capacity is inadequate. Also,the heat exchanger that generates heat (LP, 12V, 120V) for the refrigerant phase change is directly below the heat exchanger that dissipates heat that is absorbed in the refer. Heat rises and decreases the exchange capacity.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #53

Trailer: none
Quote:
In my researching RV's over the last year, I've come to the conclusion that absorption refrigerators are far from universally used. Some RV manufacturers actually recommend compressor refrigerators over absorption types. Sportsmobile, a very well known van conversion company, is but one of those I ran across that takes this approach. Basically, they claim their customers are more satisfied with the performance of the compressor fridges.

Some of the better compressor units appear to be quite frugal with power usage. However, they may require some adjustments (solar) when used off the grid for long periods of time. For many, those adjustments and maybe even a little extra setup cost are well worth the potentially better and more consistent performance.
singletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Met a camper in Tucson recently who had a newer Hallmark truck camper who swore by his 3.0 cu.ft. compressor refer for performance. On their options list they show them from $400-$1800. They also show battery upgrades from $150-$1,000. Hoping for a magic door at this point as am not keen on toting around 4 6V and two more solar panels.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:12 PM   #55

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Thanks for passing it along.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #56

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I would not be happy downgrading to a 3 cu.ft. fridge, nor with the extra expense of solar and the batteries to run it. My last choice for a camp spot is an RV parking lot with hookups.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:26 PM   #57

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having owned 2 trailers with 12v compressor refers I do not like them. They are noisy and because they are attached to the trailer once can feel and hear while it is operating. The absorption refer is silent.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #58

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Having owned 2 trailers with 12v compressor refers I do not like them. They are noisy and because they are attached to the trailer once can feel and hear while it is operating. The absorption refer is silent.
The reason the absorption refer is silent is that it's not working. Just kidding
singletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #59

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I suspect in most RVs that have them, they can't hear or feel the fridge because the generator is running.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:19 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
I must have missed something. Is the door now considered to be the cause of the refrigerator's failure to adequately cool in warm weather?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote