Furnace change on Escape 21 a shocker - Page 16 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #151

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Canada' s residential energy code is far more advanced than the code in the US ......
May we change that to "more advanced than some in the US." California, for instance, is almost extreme in some regards.

As has been mentioned, the trailer itself is not well insulated. But every bit helps, including dual pane windows, though they are metal framed. And infiltration (think: wind-induced drafts) is virtually under the complete control of the occupant. Remember, the real target goal originally was to "beat the performance of a tent.

dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #152

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
That's not how I read his response; he was referring to the present location. I just measured and it would be 1/2 a filler board to equate the 23 inches front to rear that the nightstand offers.
I don't know if front-to-back length is the concern, but now I'm thinking it's the problem. The new furnace is 20" long - that's 5/8" shorter than the old one - but it does need 1.5" between it and the inside cabinet face, totalling 21.5". In contrast the old one protrudes through the cabinet face and needs only 20.5" from the inside of the trailer shell to the outside cabinet face. Does the non-U-shape dinette seat have less than 21.5" inside dimension from face to shell?

Also, perhaps the intake/exhaust fitting is a concern, since it would need to sit square against the shell; it is placed differently from the old one.

This drawing from the AF Series installation manual is a side view of the unducted installation (outside of trailer on the left).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AFSAD12vent.jpg (20.2 KB, 5 views)

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #153
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Hi Reace I like the look of the new grill, hope someone posts a picture of it installed on 5.0TA in black for us to see...

Cheers
Doug

I thought this change was for the 21' model trailer only, not the 5.0 TA?
Old 02-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #154

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
REACE, if you are reading this whole thread, I certainly hope you are chuckling and not shaking your head.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #155

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hi Reace I like the look of the new grill, hope someone posts a picture of it installed on 5.0TA in black for us to see...

Cheers
Doug

I thought this change was for the 21' model trailer only, not the 5.0 TA?
All Escapes are getting the new Atwood; only the 21's present location has to be changed.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #156

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
REACE, if you are reading this whole thread, I certainly hope you are chuckling and not shaking your head.
.....especially at people talking about everything else except the issue with the 21's furnace being relocated. No other model is affected by this new heater and as such those with 17/19 & 5.0 TA don't have to consider the domino effect on aesthetics or storage.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:07 PM   #157

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
May we change that to "more advanced than some in the US." California, for instance, is almost extreme in some regards.

As has been mentioned, the trailer itself is not well insulated. But every bit helps, including dual pane windows, though they are metal framed. And infiltration (think: wind-induced drafts) is virtually under the complete control of the occupant. Remember, the real target goal originally was to "beat the performance of a tent.
Many US states have effective energy code on paper but purposely have no means of enforcement ,so the law / codes are meaningless . I believe raising the efficiency of a trailer furnace from 75% to 90% is a balancing act between initial cost and the cost of operation. It appears that the majority of RV owners are not fulltiming and are mainly camping in moderate weather. Saving 15% on fuel costs is relative to the amount of fuel being consumed. If one consumes only a couple of tanks of propane a year , ,is a 15 % fuel savings that significant ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #158

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
.....especially at people talking about everything else except the issue with the 21's furnace being relocated. No other model is affected by this new heater and as such those with 17/19 & 5.0 TA don't have to consider the domino effect on aesthetics or storage.
I'd like to hear more on the domino effect on aesthetics and storage. I like a good domino effect.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #159

Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yep. See my post #98. They have many styles, like these for example. Sure look better than that plastic grill, although like you, I have no idea what they charge.
very pretty
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #160

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
After with what he has had to put up with this last week, he probably will need a good stiff shot of something potent. Having to redesign and keep everyone happy can be pretty trying. Loren

Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote