Furnace change on Escape 21 a shocker - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #71

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
I looked at the Suburban furnace and it is (in my opinion) junk. I think I would have more of you upset with that move.
I have an old Suburban NT12 in my current trailer - it is 35 years old, but I doubt the design has changed much. It is very noisy, but I don't have an opinion of the design other than that. It certainly won't be a more advanced design than any Atwood.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #72

Quote:
The furnace is by Atwood, not Dometic.
Bob may have been referring to the recently announced purchase of Atwood Mobile by Dometic:
Dometic Group and Atwood Mobile Products have signed an agreement where Dometic Group will purchase Atwood Mobile Products LLC.

The new product design and product line decision by Atwood must pre-date the Dometic takeover.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #73

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Hello all,

, I was able to get two drawers in above the furnace. Tomorrow I will order new drawers and a new, slightly wider trim ring for the furnace grill to match the drawer width.

Hopefully in the next day or so I will have the new doors and can show the new mock up.

Reace
Jim: seems like there's a pretty good chance that you will see it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #74

Trailer: Escape 19' 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape While You Can View Post
Once again, I'm very impressed by how Reece and Tammy listen to their customers. Bravo!
With this, no one can argue. Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #75

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Just a further note about why the loss of drawer space was so important to us. We camp in cold weather a lot and have ordered the oven, something we used at least once a week in our old trailer. The oven, however, takes away valuable drawer/cabinet space in the kitchen. We are grateful to keep even one more drawer, especially if it isn't overly shallow in depth. I expect the drawers above the new furnace location should be full depth.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #76

Without having seen the specs of the new furnace (which I assume Doug will be posting in the forum's Files section rather than attaching to the discussion), it appears that the unit is poorly proportioned. In contrast, Atwood's larger furnaces are quite long, wide, and flat; they use the available depth of the cabinet in which they are inevitably mounted, and stack well with other interior components. I have two larger RVs, both of which have these larger Atwoods mounted under the refrigerator, taking less height than even the old 8012. The Propex furnace is similarly proportioned. It's unfortunate that Atwood didn't make the new furnace in these more usable proportions.

A Propex HeatSource furnace might fit well standing on edge inboard of the wheel well, taking just as much height, but using less space because it is sharing with the wheel well... if the combustion air inlet and exhaust fit. I'm not trying to specifically push the Propex, just exploring modern alternatives that might fit better than Atwood's design.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:28 PM   #77

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Bob may have been referring to the recently announced purchase of Atwood Mobile by Dometic:
Dometic Group and Atwood Mobile Products have signed an agreement where Dometic Group will purchase Atwood Mobile Products LLC.

The new product design and product line decision by Atwood must pre-date the Dometic takeover.
Correct. I really hope the furnace change is for the better, time will tell. Seems I'm still a bit miffed and skeptical of Dometic for obvious reasons. Sorry if I offended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Atwood.jpg (75.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #78

Reace, while you have your cabinet shoehorn out, could the furnace be shifted rearward as much as possible, so that the cabinet space beside it (forward in the trailer from it) can be used as a bin accessible from the bed side? Every little bit of storage helps...
Old 02-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #79

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
For what its worth, the first thing you see when you open the door of the original 5.0 is the furnace. However, until now I never gave it any thought. Its interesting that just a couple of days ago Gerri and I were commenting on how the furnace in all the RV's we had ever owned since the late 80`s (4) had not changed. Personally I like the look (I have only seen the picture posted here) of the new one better than the old. I was never fond of that furnace colour.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #80

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If stuff didn't change, we'd be sitting around a fire in a cave.
Funny, and very true!

Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote