Furnace change on Escape 21 a shocker - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #161

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I believe raising the efficiency of a trailer furnace from 75% to 90% is a balancing act between initial cost and the cost of operation. If one consumes only a couple of tanks of propane a year , ,is a 15 % fuel savings that significant ?
Gotta agree and taking the unit up to 90% plus would also open up the acidic condensate issue. Dumping it out on the ground might be unpopular.

It's my impression the most desired upgrade would be a whisper quiet fan.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #162

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I believe raising the efficiency of a trailer furnace from 75% to 90% is a balancing act between initial cost and the cost of operation. It appears that the majority of RV owners are not fulltiming and are mainly camping in moderate weather. Saving 15% on fuel costs is relative to the amount of fuel being consumed. If one consumes only a couple of tanks of propane a year , ,is a 15 % fuel savings that significant ?
I agree. I would prefer higher efficiency, but it is not an important factor for typical RV use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Gotta agree and taking the unit up to 90% plus would also open up the acidic condensate issue. Dumping it out on the ground might be unpopular.
Yes, this is one of the issues with condensing furnaces in residential use, but I don't know why the condensate couldn't just go in the grey wastewater tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It's my impression the most desired upgrade would be a whisper quiet fan.
I agree.
The next for me would be using separate motors on the draft inducer and main blower (like every home furnace), so neither would run unnecessarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
All Escapes are getting the new Atwood; only the 21's present location has to be changed.
True - Reace explained this early on.

Quote:
.....especially at people talking about everything else except the issue with the 21's furnace being relocated.
I'm not sure what the issue here might be. If only the facts reported in the original post are allowed to be discussed, there should be no discussion of appearance at all, even the 21', because Bob only mentioned size and the consequence on drawers of the move.

The only thing I noticed being discussed other than the differences in the old and new furnaces, and the effect on installation in Escape trailers, was other properties of furnaces. Given that Bob's original post mentioned "other suitable replacements of the same size", this doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Quote:
No other model is affected by this new heater and as such those with 17/19 & 5.0 TA don't have to consider the domino effect on aesthetics or storage.
I don't think that's quite true. The face of the furnace (which some people seem to find unattractive) will still look different in every model; the proportions are different so every model's cabinets will change at least slightly. I don't understand why the reportedly unattractive grill being visible from the door of the 21' would be relevant, yet the same grill being visible from the door of every other model would be irrelevant.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #163

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
So one thing I gather by this thread is that the original furnace in my home which was built in 1984 , works flawlessly, and yes it has a pilot light, is NOT 90% efficient
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:48 AM   #164

Trailer: 2015 escape 21
I don't think it needs to be re-painted.... It looks fine and w/o a re-paint we don't have to worry about peeling paint in the future! G
covey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:04 AM   #165

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
.....especially at people talking about everything else except the issue with the 21's furnace being relocated. No other model is affected by this new heater and as such those with 17/19 & 5.0 TA don't have to consider the domino effect on aesthetics or storage.
Sooooo, anybody have a good recipe for poutine
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #166

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
After with what he has had to put up with this last week, he probably will need a good stiff shot of something potent. Having to redesign and keep everyone happy can be pretty trying. Loren
No doubt about that, Loren.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #167

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Wow Reace,

Looks much better and with the grill painted it will be great! Thanks for all your hard work! We had folks looking at ours yesterday and weren't sure what to tell them about the furnace but now we have pics for them.

When we bought our Casita in 05 the furnace grill was dark brown. Drove me nuts. I painted it white. It was metal, so heat tolerant paint choices were easier to come by. It wasn't long before everybody was painting theirs white and now the white grill is standard.

Anyway, good job. As the grandkids would say, you guys rock!

Kathie (and Dave)
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #168

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by covey View Post
I don't think it needs to be re-painted.... It looks fine and w/o a re-paint we don't have to worry about peeling paint in the future! G

I second this. The grill would look fine to me in black or brown. We are okay with whatever Reace decides.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:15 PM   #169

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
As someone with the 21 on order, I appreciate the design that preserves 2 drawers. If the wood color paint passes the durability test, then I would also appreciate that.
Thanks for your work!
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #170

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Dave, make sure that you bring your spare water pump.

We were in Jasper a week ago (didn't bring the Escape though). Malign canyon was fun, not as much ice as previous winters, and skiing at Marmot was ok (snow was also about average or slightly below). But I really like Jasper, it is much nicer than Banff.
Won't be using the plumbing in the trailer . water pump won't be a issue on this trip.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #171

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_gal View Post
As someone with the 21 on order, I appreciate the design that preserves 2 drawers. If the wood color paint passes the durability test, then I would also appreciate that.
Thanks for your work!
We will soon be finalizing the requirements for a new 5.0 TA. I for one will request that no paint be applied to the heater grill. I have had a number of RV's over the years and after a few years around the block with some of the older units even the stock coatings begin to have issues. I too am in to resto-rodding and any time I need to fabricate a bracket or accessory I try to use aluminum or stainless. I wish the manufacturers would do the same (although we would have to pay for it). Paint and painting sucks for the home enthusiest.

Regarding the location with respect to being an eyesore, does it matter if its the first thing you see or the 5th etc. Pretty much anything in an Escape can be seen at some point. Just for fun, the first thing I see when I look down by the nice aluminum wheels on my trailer is the sewer outlet. Maybe Reace could put that under the dinette.

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #172

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Agree that painting sucks; am doing window sills now- the process always takes longer than you think. Probably a stretch to think Dometic/Atwood might offer some color options of their own- but it never hurts to ask.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #173

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
We will soon be finalizing the requirements for a new 5.0 TA. I for one will request that no paint be applied to the heater grill. I have had a number of RV's over the years and after a few years around the block with some of the older units even the stock coatings begin to have issues. I too am in to resto-rodding and any time I need to fabricate a bracket or accessory I try to use aluminum or stainless. I wish the manufacturers would do the same (although we would have to pay for it). Paint and painting sucks for the home enthusiest.

Regarding the location with respect to being an eyesore, does it matter if its the first thing you see or the 5th etc. Pretty much anything in an Escape can be seen at some point. Just for fun, the first thing I see when I look down by the nice aluminum wheels on my trailer is the sewer outlet. Maybe Reace could put that under the dinette.

Mark
You just made my day ! I haven't had such a good laugh in awhile . Thankyou for that . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #174

Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post

Mark
It's like living close to an airport or railroad tracks, after a while you just don't notice it
Marion
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #175

Hey this is groovy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1549 View Post
It's like living close to an airport or railroad tracks, after a while you just don't notice it
Marion
Wow so much about one little item. Lots of fun and humor. Can't wait to meet some or all of you over a nice Cab or JD among big trees or water!! We get our 21 at the end of March and can't wait! Cking all the pics that some of you have posted. Our new hatching is the one Reese posted with the new vent!! Ex Casita 17 owner then a stick built so glad it's coming all back around to Escape. Still have a couple of sailboats so we know how great fiberglass is!!
Old 02-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #176

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So you are the reason for these 174 posts? Congrats on your new 21', I got the same model and the 12th build.and haven't looked back.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #177
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
....I got the same model and the 12th build.and haven't looked back.
I have the tenth build of the 5.0TA... I'm the same as Jim. LOVE MY 5er!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #178

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Love my 21 too Donna. Just went out to check out heater; came home at 6 PM, outside temp is 55.(Not trying to brag- wish it was cold & rainy!)Turned on heater then went inside for a few, came back out and sat at dinette.

Am grateful the heater is in the back as my feet were warmed up quick. Not one to openly say "I got mine", but am sad for those who may not have the optimal location for the heater which is in the living area!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:31 PM   #179

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
So you are the reason for these 174 posts? Congrats on your new 21', I got the same model and the 12th build.and haven't looked back.
I wonder what number ETI is at on their 21 today, I think they have quite a few on order. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:33 PM   #180

Noooooi

Quote:
Actually no I'm not the reason. Just totally trust Reace and and Tammy. I have not heard one bad thing about ETI ! It's people like you that have given us such great feedback. I really can't wait! We will pick up the trailer in Wash then drive out to Boise to the Treefort Music Festival which my son's band will be playing!!! Then head back to too sunny Cali��
It is a lot of posts for something seemingly so inconsequential.,!!??