Furnace change on Escape 21 a shocker - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #81

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Hello all,

As usual, we are always listening. The first mock up of the drawer cabinet is obviously not being well received. Tonite I did a quick rebuild of the cabinet with everything tightened up and by raising the counter three inches, I was able to get two drawers in above the furnace. Tomorrow I will order new drawers and a new, slightly wider trim ring for the furnace grill to match the drawer width.

To address the concerns of placement, the wheel well is below the furnace so it can't be lowered and the rear seats would need to be raised 4" for it to fit there. The new design has definitely been a challenge to make work and we, along with many other manufacturers have expressed our disappointment with Atwood on the new grill design. The new furnace itself is really a giant leap forward as it has been completely redesigned. The 8012 was introduced in 1980...it was definitely ready for an overhaul. To bad they didn't spend any time on the grill. The stock grill that comes with it has a second larger black trim ring that made it look even worse. We swapped it out with a door trim ring to help with aesthetics. I may look to see if I can find a paint that will work on the grill.

Hopefully in the next day or so I will have the new doors and can show the new mock up.

Reace
Overall the new furnace sounds like a plus. As with so much in life, 'the Devil is in the details!' Good to know that ETI is aware and working on a positive outcome..
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #82
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Hello Everyone,

I will start by asking for your patience.

Yesterday, we began emailing our customers notifying them of the furnace change and the response for the available options was not received very well. Reace and the crew spent yesterday trying to come up with different options for placement. By the end of the day we had it narrowed down to two different ideas; one or two drawers.

After a long night and some sleep Reace is working on a couple of new ideas. However, this will require a day or two of 'testing' before we can confirm anything. I know it is difficult to wait however, we are hoping to have a solution to this issue shortly that will accommodate everyone's concerns.

Again, we thank you for your patience.

Tammy
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #83

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
As always, Reace and Tammy are striving for raving fans instead of "just" satisfied customers. Exactly the reason we bought an Escape instead of "just another" trailer from another manufacturer.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #84

Reace & Tammy please take the time you need. I'm just so happy you're taking our concerns into account and looking into other options that do sound viable. I continue to be so impressed with Escape Trailers. Thank you again.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #85

Thank you Tammy. I appreciated Reace explaining the ins and outs of the furnace issue and was already satisfied with his being able to find space for one of the two drawers. I can imagine how much pressure this puts on you, as it is obvious how much you care about us all. You two are amazing. I will wait for Reace to work things out.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #86

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Received an email today from Tammy,today.For me I'm not as quick to jump.Personally I would prefer the NEW ONE.More fuel efficient,quieter,too name but a few ++++'s.So if your one of the one's getting the new & want the older version.Let me no & i'll contact Tammy.Give me all your particulars,my 21 goes into production on the 20 feb.
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:22 PM   #87

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Hello Everyone,

I will start by asking for your patience.

Yesterday, we began emailing our customers notifying them of the furnace change and the response for the available options was not received very well. Reace and the crew spent yesterday trying to come up with different options for placement. By the end of the day we had it narrowed down to two different ideas; one or two drawers.

After a long night and some sleep Reace is working on a couple of new ideas. However, this will require a day or two of 'testing' before we can confirm anything. I know it is difficult to wait however, we are hoping to have a solution to this issue shortly that will accommodate everyone's concerns.

Again, we thank you for your patience.

Tammy
Wow, what a wonderful company. Do you think you'd ever get this kind of consideration from one of those mass producers whose quality is suspect on most everything they produce? I think not!!
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #88

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYBGR View Post
Received an email today from Tammy,today.For me I'm not as quick to jump.Personally I would prefer the NEW ONE.More fuel efficient,quieter,too name but a few ++++'s.
I think in time most will think just like you. For some awaiting production, it was already set in their minds how things would be, and they just have to come to accept it. I think we all do the same with many things.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #89

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I think in time most will think just like you. For some awaiting production, it was already set in their minds how things would be, and they just have to come to accept it. I think we all do the same with many things.
As one who is awaiting production (our 17 is due in Sept.), my thoughts are generally "Oh! good! I get the latest and greatest, and most refined, iteration of the build." I can only imagine what changes will occur before this summer.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #90

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
As one who is awaiting production (our 17 is due in Sept.), my thoughts are generally "Oh! good! I get the latest and greatest, and most refined, iteration of the build." I can only imagine what changes will occur before this summer.
And that, is a good attitude in my opinion.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #91
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I think this is funny. Like it's ETIs responsibility to educate people when they buy anything in Canada, they pay in Canadian funds.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:38 PM   #92

Trailer: Escape 21 pick up on 5/26/15.
Reace and Tammy have only re-confirmed my decision to buy an Escape. With my 21 only one week into production, I know whatever Reace decides will be the best for me and future 21 buyers.

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!
batcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #93

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
As I understand it, only the 21' placement is changing and at issue. We have no such set of very nice drawers in our 19'.

I know some have had benches raised and some others have had benches and floor raised. Do they then have shorter seat rests? (I am seeing a piece of wood in photo above seats on 21' on one side --- don't know what that is. Not on our 19' --- thought this on 21' was what Reace was referring to about the rests) I take it the furnace could also face across from the kitchen from what has been said.

I do not know if they consider the 21' their flagship. Maintaining the present very attractive look at first glance instead of a furnace is hopefully important to them, never mind us.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think this is funny. Like it's ETIs responsibility to educate people when they buy anything in Canada, they pay in Canadian funds.
Donna,

Funny is when tourist come off the cruise ships in Ketchican or Skagway and ask "Do you take US dollars here?"

Grant

“The journey not the arrival matters.” – T. S. Eliot
Grant & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:54 PM   #95

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
As I understand it, only the 21' placement is changing and at issue.
Right - that's what Reace said. That makes sense: all the other models have the furnace in a counter-height or taller cabinet, combined with various drawers and compartments, so there is flexibility in the height of the cabinet sections and the new furnace can be accommodated. Only the 21' had the furnace under the dinette seat.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #96

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
FYI just to let everyone know the manual for the new furnace is in the "Manuals" section under "Files". It was supplied courtesy of Jeff Hood (see following)

Hello Doug,

This is our new replacement for the 79/80 series furnace. It is a great little furnace for smaller applications. Feel free to post the PDF of the manual.
Hood, Jeff @ AWC
Old 02-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #97

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
The reality is that in manufacturing of anything in life there will have to be changes and modifications along the way fro situations just like this. Thankfully Reace makes a great effort to find good solutions for situations just like this one. I actually kind of like the new location being more central and with the amount of storage already in the 21 it doesn't seem to me that loosing one drawer will be a huge deal, certainly wouldn't for us . Time will tell if the furnace in the rear on ours will make it difficult to get the front of the trailer warm enough.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #98
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
For anyone concerned about the aesthetics of the new furnace cover, you could also have a custom one made. This company makes some beautiful registers and vent covers to any size you specify and any design you like - from plain to ornate:

Custom Order Custom Grills Custom Registers Custom Vent Covers made to order

I have no idea about the price though.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #99

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I may be mistaken, but it looks like the new furnace draws MORE current than the older version - 2.4 amps vs 1.8 amps. Not a big difference, but it isn't going to save you on battery life. Now, if it is quieter, that would be an improvement.

By the way, I ran my furnace (the older Atwood) for a Casita owner at a rally, and they noted that it was much quieter than their Suburban.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #100
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I may be mistaken, but it looks like the new furnace draws MORE current than the older version - 2.4 amps vs 1.8 amps. Not a big difference, but it isn't going to save you on battery life. Now, if it is quieter, that would be an improvement.

By the way, I ran my furnace (the older Atwood) for a Casita owner at a rally, and they noted that it was much quieter than their Suburban.
Yeah, I saw that too Jon. Maybe when they claim it uses "less power" they mean it produces more heat per Amp Hour of current used? Who knows.