Minor cabinet change coming to 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Minor cabinet change coming to 5.0TA

When we placed our order this morning and I was talking with Linda I mentioned that there was one cabinet customization I wanted to ask about. We want to maximize interior storage space, so I wanted to delete the exterior hatch next to the door, move the fire extinguisher over to the base of the kitchen cabinet at the doorway, and put a big cabinet door from the floor up to the shelf in that cabinet next to the steps, turning that whole space into interior storage. She told me that they are making a change in December and that will be the new standard arrangement going forward...saves me a customization request!

Still waiting for them to offer a standard, easy to access cat litter box compartment
Old 07-24-2018, 05:48 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Yay for you! I'm glad they're realizing that's such a wasted space there and they're doing something about it. I know many owners had some customization done to that cabinet.

At the rally this past weekend in Bandon, I viewed a 5.0TA where the owner (Steve) had customized that cabinet. He's a retired carpenter and did a very nice job on adding in a small drawer as well as a larger one with a pull out laundry bin. It was very impressive.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #3

Trailer: none
David, did they mention the possibility of adding a shelf in that cabinet as well?
Old 07-25-2018, 05:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
David, did they mention the possibility of adding a shelf in that cabinet as well?
They didn't mention that specifically, but it will be a fairly tall cabinet so I would think a shelf would be welcome in their. And if it doesn't come with one I will be asking them to add one - will let you know what I find out.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
I just heard from Escape and at least for now they are not offering the option of a shelf in that new cabinet. Probably not too difficult to add one or more yourself....I will certainly need some kind of little project to work on!
Old 07-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I just heard from Escape and at least for now they are not offering the option of a shelf in that new cabinet. Probably not too difficult to add one or more yourself....I will certainly need some kind of little project to work on!

Or litter box storage?
Old 07-25-2018, 02:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
David - Is it your understanding that ETI is completely eliminating that exterior hatch and not just lowering it? I know some of us had ETI lower the exterior hatch and add an interior door.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
David - Is it your understanding that ETI is completely eliminating that exterior hatch and not just lowering it? I know some of us had ETI lower the exterior hatch and add an interior door.
My understanding is that they are eliminating the exterior hatch and making the whole space an interior cabinet.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
My understanding is that they are eliminating the exterior hatch and making the whole space an interior cabinet.
Thanks. I already have my smaller exterior space mentally filled so its probably good we will still have it on our 2018.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Would it work to have two doors on that space with the interior divided into two separated spaces. The bottom one w a flap in the door for a litter box and the top a regular door.

Also, don’t know the dimensions of the cabinet, but I put elfa drawers in the wardrobe in my 17a and it is fantastic! They come in several heights, widths, and depths.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Would it work to have two doors on that space with the interior divided into two separated spaces. The bottom one w a flap in the door for a litter box and the top a regular door.

Also, don’t know the dimensions of the cabinet, but I put elfa drawers in the wardrobe in my 17a and it is fantastic! They come in several heights, widths, and depths.
I think the interior of that cabinet is roughly 16" x 16"...not really big enough for a litter box, unfortunately.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:14 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Unless it's a custom litterbox. Maybe the Widgets guy?

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:33 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
When we placed our order this morning and I was talking with Linda I mentioned that there was one cabinet customization I wanted to ask about. We want to maximize interior storage space, so I wanted to delete the exterior hatch next to the door, move the fire extinguisher over to the base of the kitchen cabinet at the doorway, and put a big cabinet door from the floor up to the shelf in that cabinet next to the steps, turning that whole space into interior storage. She told me that they are making a change in December and that will be the new standard arrangement going forward...saves me a customization request!
The deleting of the outside exterior hatch, is that because of the awning arm attachment to the trailer maybe?
Old 07-26-2018, 06:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
The deleting of the outside exterior hatch, is that because of the awning arm attachment to the trailer maybe?
I don't know - but on the ETI website on the 5.0TA page, the photo at the top is still of the earlier version with the Carefree awning and it shows that front storage compartment and then the awning arm is just to the right of it. I think they have just had a lot of requests for the inside storage cabinet and are switching to that. But it's also possible that the awning they will use going forward is slightly different dimensions than the old one and the hatch would conflict with the arm.

The Escape 5.0 TA
Old 07-26-2018, 06:54 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
No, the awning arm is ahead of the hatch. While this is the classic build, the awning arms should be in the same place on a 2ndGen, if it's the same size awning.

I like the outside hatch. It's where I store the stabilizer crank, awning strap rod and my garden gnome!
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:28 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Can he breathe in there?
Old 07-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #17

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0 TA currently in "The Build Queue"
Quote:

Still waiting for them to offer a standard, easy to access cat litter box compartment
That's good news! One more thing to cross off our customization list!
We had some concerns about that tall storage hatch having such a small opening. We suspected that even our bag chairs might not fit in it. Maybe, someone could comment about that concern?
I like the idea of a cabinet just inside the door. We had contacted ETI about lowering the storage hatch so we could do our own customization for a shoe cupboard, but it seems like it will be taken care of by the time we order a 2019 with no additional cost for us.
I'm certainly impressed by the company's flexibility with their designs. From what I'm reading on these forums, they seem to really pay attention to their customers' comments.
Another good reason to buy straight from the manufacturer.
LaurieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #18

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Unless it's a custom litterbox. Maybe the Widgets guy?

Yep, he would do it. I was thinking of getting one made for the space at the foot of the bed, but realized it would be too small for my big kitty. Just give him the size you want.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #19

I'm pretty sure the Cat Carpenter could make a custom litter box. Could be a new business opportunity - custom litter boxes for RV's!