New 4.3 & 6.7 fridge info - Page 13 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #241

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I don't think what you said is what they said. Think you misread.
What they said does in fact seem to be many people's experience from what I have seen.

[QUOTE=Brian B-P

If the maximum of 45 degrees (Fahrenheit) were true, ice cubes would melt in our RV freezers at cool ambient temperatures. The evaporator plate certainly runs more than 45 deg F below ambient temperatures.[/QUOTE]
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #242

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The purpose of this thread as well as forum is to help inform current and future Escape trailer owners. Your interpretation of written words is exactly that. I spent 38 years interpreting and testifying what the US Code means and what you may feel is "ordinary and necessary" may not apply to the next person. Courts of law try to interpret the intent of the law and sometimes they can reach different conclusions. This forum was not designed for that purpose.
Let's keep the subject to that at hand and if you have any legal questions, I'd suggest you contact a legal expert. Thank you….
Old 08-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #243

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It's really a one year warranty unless you take it to a dealer after one year and have it serviced. Paying for a second year of warranty is like buying a service plan, it's not a "two year warranty".
I'm not really that troubled by the need to show the fridge has been serviced annually. Dometic calls for annual service in the operating manual that came with the fridge, and they get little if anything directly from the service visit. I think that's pretty common for adsorption fridges running on propane. Now, how many of actually accomplish the service? I'll be the first to admit that I've been slack in that regard with past campers, but it's reasonable to expect to have to clean the burner and stack periodically, depending on use. I'm plenty frustrated with Dometic, but not over this policy.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #244

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Not much to servicing an RV fridge. I periodically check the burner area for cleanliness, and once in 6 years have vacuumed it out. The only other service it has seen is to repair the latch, as the hinge pin started slipping out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #245

Sure, and that's how we get away with being a little slack on annual service. But I understand and accept Dometic's service instructions.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:02 AM   #246

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
I understand some of you are frustrated with the performance of your fridge. The fridge brochure listed is not for North America. Non of the North American brochures list a climate class (that I can find) nor are they listed on the decal plates on the fridges...other than the 8 series units.

As new information comes up, I am presenting it to Dometic and looking for new information and advice on how to improve the fridge performance. As you are also aware, I am diligently working to tweak the current system for a better fridge performance. - I am working on your behalf, however....I am beginning to feel that this is not sufficient for some of you. Please feel free to contact Dometic directly. All of the warranty information is in the owner's package.

Reace

I bought an Escape trailer because they are fantastic trailers, but largely I also bought an Escape trailer because of Reace. On the first day I visited ETI to check out some trailers, I was wandering around and Reace came up and started talking to me . He ended up taking me on a long tour of the shop, taking me inside trailers at different stages of production, showing me each successive step that happens to the trailer once they leave the mold. Several times during the tour he was called to come elsewhere, but each time he just said he was with a customer. I hadn't made a deposit, I didn't have an appointment, I'd never met him before, I was just some guy who wandered in off the street.

Throughout the year long process of waiting for the trailer, he politely and patiently addressed my endless questions, requests, and changes.

I am quite content, and confident, to wait while Reace works hard to resolve this fridge issue.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:48 AM   #247

Those are my thoughts also, although my performance has been acceptable, I feel good that Reace is behind the scenes striving for better.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #248

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I wish there was a "Like" button I could click on for this statement! Well said, and I had an almost identical experience when we picked up ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
I bought an Escape trailer because they are fantastic trailers, but largely I also bought an Escape trailer because of Reace. On the first day I visited ETI to check out some trailers, I was wandering around and Reace came up and started talking to me . He ended up taking me on a long tour of the shop, taking me inside trailers at different stages of production, showing me each successive step that happens to the trailer once they leave the mold. Several times during the tour he was called to come elsewhere, but each time he just said he was with a customer. I hadn't made a deposit, I didn't have an appointment, I'd never met him before, I was just some guy who wandered in off the street.

Throughout the year long process of waiting for the trailer, he politely and patiently addressed my endless questions, requests, and changes.

I am quite content, and confident, to wait while Reace works hard to resolve this fridge issue.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #249

Trailer: 2012 Recreation by Design 48" FW
Hi everyone...

After reading the posts it is VERY evident that the Escape community is filled with a lot of VERY nice people that help one another. That is what makes RV'ing great.

In that spirit, we have sent Reace an email about a kit that can replace the thermister with an adjustable thermostat that installs inside the fridge. the kits allows you to "manually control" the upper/lower on/off point for the cooling unit. We have found a high failure rate with the thermisters from the factory, and also among replacement units available through parts stores. There is a testing procedure for the thermister, but in all honesty, I prefer manual control of the fridge.

I will wait to hear back from Reace before posting the link to the kit.

I also wanted to let the forum members know that we have an additional 15 units available from the second run.

Mike
Mike@SmartRVProducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #250

Trailer: 2012 Recreation by Design 48" FW
We also wanted to mention that there may or may not be units out there who have un-grounded cooling fins inside their fridge. If you discover your fridge has un-grounded cooling fins, and you have ordered a unit from us, please contact us so we can get you a different method for grounding the unit.

We have worked with customers in the past who discovered that their cooling units were not grounded whatsoever. It seems there is no rhyme or reason to what units are effected, however, we have seen it in more dometics than norcolds.
Mike@SmartRVProducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #251

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
That is a scary proposition. How exactly can we tell? I don't think I want to "discover" it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #252

Trailer: Escape
Use a DVOM multimeter on the ohms setting to check continuity to ground or the mutimeter on the voltage mode to check a complete circuit to ground. For checking use the wiring connector to the frig light switch. The white wire is battery positive and the black wire is ground.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #253

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I wish there was a "Like" button I could click on for this statement! Well said, and I had an almost identical experience when we picked up ours.
There is: go to the Escape Facebook fan page.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #254

Trailer: Escape 21 pick up on 5/26/15.
Uhhh, ok?

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!
batcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #255
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
This thread (from Australian group) has some great pics of working on the back side of a Dometic fridge. Interesting fix to his "lack of cooling" wouldn't apply to a new unit, but food for thought/maintenance planning.

Dometic RM2193 Help Please! - Expedition Portal!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #256

Based upon that link it appears like that once a year service call can take care of the issue, maybe we need to determine if the ones that are not functioning properly, have they been serviced previously?
Old 08-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #257

We had trouble with ours way before the one year point, and I suspect that's the case with several who have posted.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #258

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... When I took my 5.0 in for annual bearing pack brake adjust my RV Tech. usually blew out the back of the fridge with his air compressor hose. Gets rid of the cob webs!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #259

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Based upon that link it appears like that once a year service call can take care of the issue, maybe we need to determine if the ones that are not functioning properly, have they been serviced previously?
Our 4.3 frig has never cooled adequately (above 80 F. ambient air temp) here in the Midwest since we first took delivery 8/13.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #260

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
RML8555 new this January.

Based on the European specs it is working "properly" - as designed. Works well below 85F or so. Works poorly at 90F and up.

This might be fine for northern Europe and most/much of Canada most/much of the time. But it is not fine for the southwest US in the summer. The previous Dometic unit I had was "T" rated (although I didn't know it at the time,) and worked fine in Arizona in the summer, so I expected the new and improved (etc.) replacement model would work just as well. Dometic is quite simply selling a unit which is not adequate for Arizona in the summer, or anywhere above 90F for very long.

Unless Reace can get something major (replace units or cooling sections, different charge, increased heat input, ...) out of Dometic (Go Reace! but I am not holding my breath) the best we can hope for is some bandaids (TX fan, baffling, freezer holes, FridgeFix, ...) to make it marginally better and/or workarounds (removing freezer, coolers, moving ice around ...) (WOW - talk about a run-on sentence.)

I VERY much appreciate all of Reace's efforts on our behalf. His (and all of ETI's) attitude and customer bias were major factors in our decision to buy an Escape.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote