New 4.3 & 6.7 fridge info - Page 35 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #341

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Hi: KountryKamper... We keep all delicate items like lettuce/cukes etc. in an insulated lunch bag. Seems to keep the salad maker happy.
We needed to defrost the fridge so I removed the freezer compartment and shut it off. Just about time to restart the fridge for the next trip though. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #342

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: We keep all delicate items like lettuce/cukes etc. in an insulated lunch bag.
Alf.....you missed the point! We former Casita owners have fond memories of when our refrigerators could freeze lettuce on a regular basis. I don't miss much else, but I really liked having a cold fridge!

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #343
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Jim, if you haven't drilled your holes yet why don't you try taking the front door off the freezer first. This way you will preserve the barrier between the freezer and refrig and won't flow cold air onto the thermister in the fridge.
Excellent idea, 2 screws and the door is off, leaves about 1.5" in the front for air circulation, present temp 45/5 at 85F, fans are on, will check in 3 hours.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #344

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Alf.....you missed the point! We former Casita owners have fond memories of when our refrigerators could freeze lettuce on a regular basis. I don't miss much else, but I really liked having a cold fridge!

This is not unusual with the Escape refrigerator as other owners complained to us about food freezing. We had frozen items many times which is why we bought a fan. We would not, however, have that problem if it is 95F.

For 95F, since the freezer works, we put several ice packs and then switch them to the crisper or elsewhere or to a cooler In the car.

I can only guess that the Casita refrigerator is just like ours.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #345

Trailer: ?
NOPE. The older Casitas had Dometic fridges that worked well in high temperatures.

I spent all of June, 2011 in Phoenix, AZ in a 2005 Casita with a Dometic fridge running on 120V. I ran it on max and used a small 2D battery fan to keep the produce from freezing. The fridge interior was 34-36. I don't know the freezer temperature but it was cold enough to make ice cubes.

The highs were mostly in the low 100s and lows in the high 70s. See Historical Weather For 2011 in Phoenix, Arizona, USA - WeatherSpark
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #346

Trailer: 2014 19'
I tested the refrigerator and found the lower fins simply are not cold enough, by themselves, to cool the refrigerator below 40c even in our cool climate. It was obvious by feeling them in relationship to the freezer fins.

So I'm trying to make a good refrigerator 1st by removing the freezer compartment, moved the thermistor, and have tested for a couple days.

My goal was to get it at a safe temperature on 3 bars so I had some reserve. Living in Port Angeles WA we are in a 'cool' marine environment so it should be a sweet spot for the refrig. 60s at night and 70's in the day.

Reace gave me the idea of moving the thermistor and I simply pushed a piece of coated wire clothes line under the plastic drain tray and taped the thermistor to it.

You can see I now have 1 big refrigerator (on 3 bars) and plan to take it out and park it in the sun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thermistor 1st mount small.jpg (20.1 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg temp readings 8 20 refrig 3 bars small.jpg (13.8 KB, 215 views)
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #347

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Hi: Parker... I love popsicle's but not celery flavoured ones!!!
I think I might try attaching the thermistor to the fridge shelf with a metal clip. See how it performs there. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #348

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post

So I'm trying to make a good refrigerator 1st by removing the freezer compartment, moved the thermistor,
I did the same 2 things (moved thermistor downward, as far as cord would stretch, maybe 6-8"). Last week in 75 F partly cloudy weather, on propane, fridge temps maintained between 10 and 20 F. Yes, food froze, but I didn't care because I was happy to see some positive results. I am really looking forward to seeing what happens next week when camping in hot weather.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #349
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
How does one move the thermistor? Just pry it off, unscrew or what and then how /where is it reattached? Any pictures?
Old 08-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #350

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Ours freezes food at 75F also and we have not moved a thing. But it does not cool enough if it is in the 90s. So we use ice packs.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote