New 4.3 & 6.7 fridge info - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #141

Trailer: 21' Escape
I didn't spend over $30,000.00 on a trailer to work on it. I went camping this last week, we had a cold front and temperatures didn"t get above the low 80 degrees. The fridge did fine as long as I didn't open it but once it was opened the temp in the fridge got 5 to 10 degrees warmer and didn't really recover until over night. If the fridge is not made to operate satisfactorily in our climate we need to get replacement fridges under warranty.
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #142

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Let us know how that works out for you.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #143

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I understand after spending the amount of money for a new unit to have unexpected issues, my point being was I was not surprised that my new unit could not operate the same as my refer at home with opening and closing in the summer heat. I'm just glad to have it working. I have camped with close to a dozen different types of refrigerators in my campers over the past 8+ years, some were good, some were bad. The compressor 12v type operate about 50% of the time and they do make noise, like a hum, particularly mounted in a fiberglass trailer. similar to those who have an EMS or MaxxFan hum in their unit until it is broken in. They are also small, I had a T@da that had 2x12v side by side compressor refers. Other units had 120v and 12v only refers, again they were small. It was not until I bought a Lance 1880 that I had a full size refer like in the Escape that operated off propane and 120V. Having the luxury of quiet operation while on 120v and propane was nice. I never installed thermometers in any of these units, nor do I know if the operated effectively, all I did know was the food was cold and they did not make any noise. Thus in summary, maybe they did not cool they way they were supposed to, I never suffered any ill effects if they did not. Perhaps we are suffering from too much temperature information? I have not heard of anyone getting sick from eating bad food from their camper refrigerator, ever. Just my -.02$ worth.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00599.JPG   bedroom.jpg  
Old 08-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #144

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
floorpanel: I agree with your sentiment. We spent a lot of money on these trailers and we should expect top quality and service.

Having said that, the problems with these fridges are just now coming to be understood. And Reace is actively working on a solution. Let's wait and see what he comes up with.

Besides, it seems that these fridges *are* "top quality", at least of those available in North America -- if the best available to Reace isn't good enough, he's kind of in tight straits. Having spent what we have on these trailers, I expect a better resolution than if we had bought a cheap trailer off a lot somewhere. But then, if I had bought a cheap trailer off a lot somewhere, I would have expected nothing at all -- the dealer and manufacturer would have said "it's the best we can do; if you want more, it's up to you". Reace has already risen well above that by looking at new baffle solutions, thermistor replacements, and physical modifications to the freezer compartment.

If it stops here I'll still be a little disgruntled, but he'll still have done better than most manufacturers in the same situation. In that case I'll grumble to myself, go ahead with whatever changes I can do to improve things, and wait for a better fridge to come on the market some years down the line. But I'm betting it won't stop here -- I'm betting Reace will have more for us.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #145

Trailer: 21' Escape
It shouldn't be Reace's problem. I appreciate greatly his efforts in solving the problem but what is Dometic doing. It should be their problem and they should be comming up with a solution. Reace didn't know he was buying an inferior product. As for as I know Dometic has a good reputation, I have used other products of theirs and been very satisfied. I have one of their ice makers and it is outstanding so maybe they will get involved and come up with a solution. I think it is their responsibility.
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #146

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Just another wild idea...if the cooling problem is related to ambient temperature...and primarily the temperature of the air passing across the condensing coils behind the refrigerator...why not reduce that air temperature...by maybe 40 degrees F?...100 degrees to 60...with a small solar powered portable swamp cooler feeding cool air to the lower vent??

FIGJAM: How to make a Bucket Cooler | Burners.Me: Me, Burners and The Man
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #147

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
I appreciate Reace's, Mike Bakker's, and the forum members' efforts.

I do think ETI should explore other fridge options (and I expect they will,) T rated absorbtion units or high efficiency 12V compressor units or ...
Although I have not had much issue with high temperatures operation in any of my RVs, I agree with this.

A compressor-driven refrigerator is not a trivial choice, and would not be a good standard equipment choice for most RV manufacturers, but to offer it as a factory option - only if specified well in advance of construction and perhaps only if accompanied by suitable electrical equipment - would be valuable to potential owners.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #148

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Totally agree!
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #149

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Just another wild idea...if the cooling problem is related to ambient temperature...and primarily the temperature of the air passing across the condensing coils behind the refrigerator...why not reduce that air temperature...by maybe 40 degrees F?...100 degrees to 60...with a small solar powered portable swamp cooler feeding cool air to the lower vent??

FIGJAM: How to make a Bucket Cooler | Burners.Me: Me, Burners and The Man
I would try this.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #150

For that matter, if the weather is not comfortable, stay home. Weather plays an important part in my camping decisions. Torrential rain, snow, thunder storms and extreme temperatures all need to be avoided while camping if possible. Full timing is one thing, but recreation camping has choices.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
For that matter, if the weather is not comfortable, stay home. Weather plays an important part in my camping decisions. Torrential rain, snow, thunder storms and extreme temperatures all need to be avoided while camping if possible. Full timing is one thing, but recreation camping has choices.
..who said they were uncomfortable aren't we talking about refer operation? ....90-100f is typical here...and just what is, "snow"?
Old 08-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #152

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
6.7 fridge

Reace and all,
We are in San Diego area with 70-75 day time, cooler nights. Fridge is on 120 and the temps were 1 to 5 and 35 to 38. I had one computer fan inside on a rack and the two fans outside blowing air up over the cooling unit through the restricted flow by having styro insulation attached to the trailer wall and I also have about 6 or 7 7/16 holes drilled through the freezer floor to share air with the fridge. 5 bars selected. When I received my fridge fan I took about a hour to install it and the temp went right up to 70, the freezer was kept closed and the fridge food moved to a cooler until I was done and then it rapidly went down to 55 with food in the fridge and then the temp stopped at that point. I believe also that the cool air (a lot of it) was fooling the thermocouple into thinking it was cooler. I turned off the fridge fix fan and it continued down to 37 in a short time. I may try to insulate the thermocouple or disconnect one of the two fans. Tue I will be crossing the desert and see what happens.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #153

So Jack, are you saying that the fans actually hampered your cool down by blowing cold air across the thermocouple? I always thought that wind chill had no effect on inanimate objects?
Old 08-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #154

and just what is, "snow"?
Steve,
it is white, frozen, smog for you southern Californians….
Old 08-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #155

Trailer: 2014 19'
Thanks for your report Jack. That all makes sense to me.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #156

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
fridge info

Jim, that's what it appeared to do, the fridge temp change stopped at 55 for an hour or more and as soon as the fan unit was turned off it continued to 37. It's a little warmer today, maybe 80 and temp reads 40 with a few door opens and the fans off inside and on in the back.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #157

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So Jack, are you saying that the fans actually hampered your cool down by blowing cold air across the thermocouple? I always thought that wind chill had no effect on inanimate objects?
Ever blow on a hot French fry before eating it? I figure that's wind chill on inanimate object and we all do it because it cools the fry.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #158

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Jack:

Might the fridge fix fan be pulling air from the freezer, through the 7/16 holes, and blowing that air onto the theristor? If so the thermistor would be colder than the rest of the main compartment, and the thermometer. The 'fridge might be controlling temperature well, keeping the thermistor at a steady 38F.

Insulating the thermistor shouldn't help. It will just delay its reading any changes in temperature, likely increasing the swings in temperature. But that's theory, your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Reace and all,
We are in San Diego area with 70-75 day time, cooler nights. Fridge is on 120 and the temps were 1 to 5 and 35 to 38. I had one computer fan inside on a rack and the two fans outside blowing air up over the cooling unit through the restricted flow by having styro insulation attached to the trailer wall and I also have about 6 or 7 7/16 holes drilled through the freezer floor to share air with the fridge. 5 bars selected. When I received my fridge fan I took about a hour to install it and the temp went right up to 70, the freezer was kept closed and the fridge food moved to a cooler until I was done and then it rapidly went down to 55 with food in the fridge and then the temp stopped at that point. I believe also that the cool air (a lot of it) was fooling the thermocouple into thinking it was cooler. I turned off the fridge fix fan and it continued down to 37 in a short time. I may try to insulate the thermocouple or disconnect one of the two fans. Tue I will be crossing the desert and see what happens.
Jack
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #159
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Hi Jack

As previously mentioned, I had the same results with the Fridge Fix fan, and at that time, I did not have any holes drilled in the freezer section.

I think at this point, the best result I am going to find is by tapping in to the freezer for extra cooling. So far so good.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Hi Jack

As previously mentioned, I had the same results with the Fridge Fix fan, and at that time, I did not have any holes drilled in the freezer section.

I think at this point, the best result I am going to find is by tapping in to the freezer for extra cooling. So far so good.

Reace
Have you tried just removing the freezer door?