New 4.3 & 6.7 fridge info - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
New 4.3 & 6.7 fridge info

STOP THE PRESSES!

Although the baffle may contribute a small bit to the fridge cooling, I am now convinced it is not the big problem. I encourage everyone to hold off on the baffle install (unless you are bored) for a few more days.

Tammy and I are currently travelling in a 5.0TA. This is one of the units I was playing with in the yard trying out different methods of fridge installation. This unit has insulation packed in around the sides and top of the fridge, baffle and exterior 'Texas' fan. Seemed to perform ok in the yard...not so on the road.

Mike from Smart RV Products was kind enough to ship one of the Fridge Fix fan kits to me on the road in Oregon to play with along the journey.

Oddly, the two day drive down the coast to Bandon OR, the fridge held fine, but once we reached Bandon, it started to go downhill...and it wasn't that hot on the coast.

As we headed inland, it just can't keep up. I have done everything possible on the installation side to achieve the best performance. While in Bandon, I had a close up look at the install of the Dometic fridges in the Casita trailers, and they have much the same gapping as our install without baffles. The owners are quite happy with the cooling of their fridges!

What am I missing?

We are currently in Eastern California with temperatures in the low 30's and the fridge is holding in at around 5 degrees...with ice packs in the fridge.

Unfortunately the Fridge Fix is not helping...and today I think I figured it out. I stopped and bought an infrared thermometer so I could see what the temperature is on the cooling fins.
First of all, let me start with...I have two thermometers, one is a digital wireless which is nice...the other is a horizontal unit with the red stuff (?) that shows the temp and stays in fridge. Digital unit reads about 1.5 degrees C higher than cheap unit.
Ok, fridge set on max, inside temp reads 5 degrees, so does the fins. One hour later, the fins read 0 degrees. I have caught it as low as -5 at times, so I know if it would stay there, the Fridge Fix fan would definitely have some cold to move around the fridge interior.

Today I had another lengthy conversation with one of the higher- ups at Dometic. With all the information I have gathered, we have to be able to come to a solution, because so far, nothing suggested has really worked...effectively. I am now convinced that the thermistor is not set correctly or is simply failing. Dometic is going to overnight some products to me tomorrow to try. As I kind of butchered the one in this fridge trying to see any change, I will start with a new replacement thermistor. Hopefully it is as simple as a defective unit. I also asked for a thermistor out of a different fridge that I can splice in, as maybe these are just not set properly. Dometic mentioned they did have a booster for the thermistor for fridges that simply could not cool enough. I am hopefully getting one of those too! He was not sure if they were still available.

So, after all that, if in fact the thermistor is the problem, lets try that fix before we jump into the baffle fix...because it isn't helping right now.

I will keep in touch

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 19'
Thanks very much Reace for all your efforts at solving this fridge cooling issue! Really looking forward to the final solution!
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #3

Trailer: none
What a class act!
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Thank you, Reace! We look forward to hearing more! Our fridge struggles and can't seem to maintain temperature and so we constantly adjust it - even on cool days. We had no such issues with our 2005 Casita fridge so I assumed it's something about the newer Dometic fridges.
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 21ft Escape
Thanks Reace,

Will be looking forward to hearing something positive! Appreciate your efforts.

Robbie
trailseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Some academic really needs to do a case study of ETI's business practices. If GM's senior managers did business the way Reace and Tammy did, they probably wouldn't be in such hot water like they are today. It's things like this that constantly validate my decision to purchase our Escape.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Some academic really needs to do a case study of ETI's business practices. If GM's senior managers did business the way Reace and Tammy did, they probably wouldn't be in such hot water like they are today. It's things like this that constantly validate my decision to purchase our Escape.
Could not have said it better. When family and friends ask me why we are getting such an "expensive" trailer, HERE is why.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Same for us . No other business cares or will fix problems with what we purchase from them . Thankyou Escape !
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
I'm not a professor at the Harvard Business School, but if I was, I'd start out every class with the mantra: "Don't treat your customers like sh*t and give them the service they've already paid for and they will continue to stand in line to give your their money."
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Thanks, Reace! I knew that you didn't *really* want me to take the fridge out! :-)
Thanks for spending your "time off" working on our behalf!
Christine
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #11

Trailer: No RV for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Perhaps Dometic's CEO needs to take a close look at why their larger fridges are failing, in addition to ETI's customer service example!

Reace, are there other fridge manufacturers that have more reliable models? If there are no comparable options, then Domestic needs to be held accountable! It is not fair for you to have to spend this much time and energy on another manufacturer's product. I hope you are getting the support you need from them. You are much appreciated by your loyal customers! (Us included!) Thanks!
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Agreed!
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Ditto that !
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #14
Commercial Member

I will continue to support Dometic as long as I can as I do believe in their product...something is simply wrong with these model fridges and we need to get to the bottom of it. It is difficult because many owners have taken their units in to Dometic authorized facilities and are told the fridge is getting cold...or a baffle needs to be installed. The other thing is the hot summer is short for us to try resolve things.
I thought building RV's meant I just had to make the correct size hole for the appliance...and turn it on...not become a fridge tech! Oh well, it will be nice to have an answer to the problem8).

Reace
Old 07-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Reace, you're a peach... or THE MAN. Just having a manufacturer that's willing to follow up and make sure everything is done to the best it can be... is truly refreshing.

I know nothing about refrigeration, it either works or it doesn't. However, the 3-way Dometic in my 26 year old Scamp continues to work well. It has a outside vent on the side of the trailer that's at least twice the size of what's on Ten Forward. Can more side ventilation help? I do remember one time camped in hot weather and the frig was on the sun side, propping open the vent door really helped. Frig temp dropped about ten degrees...

Best of luck, we're all continuing to follow this saga...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #16
Commercial Member

OK...I received my parts today! A very nice thank you to my Dometic contact as he is definitely trying to solve this issue with me. I received a direct replacement thermistor, a booster and a generic replacement. I opted to install the generic replacement as it was the easiest. The kit contained step-by-step instructions and wire connectors. It took all of 3 minutes to replace. Replacing the original unit would require removing the fridge.
When we woke up this morning, the fridge was cold (1.6 C) set on max. We just returned from our trip to Virginia City (very cool!!!) and the outside temp is 36 C...and the darn fridge is still at 1.6 C! Damn! Oh well, I install the new part, and hopefully I can turn the down a couple of notches now. Will know more soon.

Reace
Old 07-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #17
Commercial Member

On a side note, I let Mike from Smart RV Products know where things were and he mentioned that he has seen fridges installed with 6" gaps behind them freeze food in the fridge in the Arizona summer. He agreed that the baffle is not the solution and that approx. 35% of all thermistors are bad (or not set correctly) right out of the box. Hmmm...I just need to figure out how to test them before I install them now!

Reace
Old 07-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Hi Donna

The new plastic vents have more depth to the fins which allow more air flow, thus requiring less of them to provide the same air flow.

Reace
Old 07-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
OK...I received my parts today! A very nice thank you to my Dometic contact as he is definitely trying to solve this issue with me. I received a direct replacement thermistor, a booster and a generic replacement. I opted to install the generic replacement as it was the easiest. The kit contained step-by-step instructions and wire connectors. It took all of 3 minutes to replace. Replacing the original unit would require removing the fridge.
When we woke up this morning, the fridge was cold (1.6 C) set on max. We just returned from our trip to Virginia City (very cool!!!) and the outside temp is 36 C...and the darn fridge is still at 1.6 C! Damn! Oh well, I install the new part, and hopefully I can turn the down a couple of notches now. Will know more soon.

Reace
That sounds promising.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:37 PM   #20

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post

Reace
Rease, what is a "booster"? BTW, it is really great that you are working so hard on this for us. Never wonder where your customer loyalty comes from! Your outstanding work ethic and customer commitment are unanimously appreciated!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote