New 4.3 & 6.7 fridge info - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #161

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If I recall, on other refer's I've owned in rv's, in order to change the temperature, warmer or cooler, there was an item attached to the rear metal fins that you would either slide to raise or lower the temperature. Is the thermocouple/thermister that item that is attached to the rear of the refer on one of the fins. It is attached with a screw? I tried to slide it up and it will not move. Is this the culprit causing the unit to shut off before reading proper temperature? Why not remove the screw and slide it up or down
Old 08-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #162

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I recal the same deal on other trailers. Sliding the thermistor up and down the fins to adjust output of the fridge . We were out this weekend and the fridge compartment held on at a couple degrees above freezing with using the little battery fan but the freezer was barely keeping things frozen . Popsicles were barely frozen . It was around 30 Celsius outside and fridge side of the trailer was shaded .
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #163

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Just wondering if this Dometic Thermistor Adjuster would work.

Dinosaur Thermadjustfdo Dometic Thermistor Adjuster

Doug
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #164

Trailer: Escape
"I have not heard of anyone getting sick from eating bad food from their camper refrigerator, ever. Just my -.02$ worth."

Maybe not, but a lot of us have thrown out the food before we learned to rely on a cooler with ice !

"For that matter, if the weather is not comfortable, stay home. Weather plays an important part in my camping decisions. Torrential rain, snow, thunder storms and extreme temperatures all need to be avoided while camping if possible. Full timing is one thing, but recreation camping has choices."

Not all of have the opportunity to camp when we want to. We need to take advantage of the time slots that are available ! Those are our choices ! Staying home is a poor compromise for equipment that does not work adequately.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #165

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
So much for that theory. I suppose, even without holes to the freezer, the Fridge Fix fan could be pulling colder air down to the thermistor. It's a mystery to me.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Hi Jack

As previously mentioned, I had the same results with the Fridge Fix fan, and at that time, I did not have any holes drilled in the freezer section.

I think at this point, the best result I am going to find is by tapping in to the freezer for extra cooling. So far so good.

Reace
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #166

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
I recal the same deal on other trailers. Sliding the thermistor up and down the fins to adjust output of the fridge . We were out this weekend and the fridge compartment held on at a couple degrees above freezing with using the little battery fan but the freezer was barely keeping things frozen . Popsicles were barely frozen . It was around 30 Celsius outside and fridge side of the trailer was shaded .
I wonder if moving the thermistor up/down is to adjust the relative cooling between the freezer and main compartment? The closer to the freezer the warmer it would keep the main area. (If close to the freezer it would measure some combination of freezer and main temperatures?)

I don't think moving the sensor up/down is to adjust the overall temp. All 'fridges I've seen have a knob/button for overall adjust. I hear there are some which don't adjust, thus the Dinosaur Dometic Thermistor Adjuster.

If moving the sensor up/down is to adjust the relative (freezer/main) temperatures, that would explain the two adjustments. But my last theory didn't pan out too well. Oh well.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:22 AM   #167

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
An RV tech guy told me the movement of the thermistor was to decrease or increase the overall temperature of the fridge- mine wasn't cold enough inside - he moved it all the way up and it seemed to work.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #168

That is what I'm thinking, maybe Dometic will allow us to move it up via a tech release of some sort and a new way of attaching it. Chapitre, what model refer is yours and how was it reattached?
Old 08-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #169

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
It is a 3.0 cu ft - it was basically free moving on the left side of the fins.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #170

Yes, I had some that were free moving but this is the first one I've owned that has a screw holding it in place.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #171

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
6.7 refrig

I have had the fix fans off, 7a.m. and 70 outside and inside, 5 bars and not much food left in the refrig. Yesterday I pulled the thermocoupler out of the plastic holder and tucked it behind the insulation I had put on the walls of our refrigerator, now I have 4 and 32 degrees, later I'll try the fan fix. My fans inside the back have been on all night. As stated before, we may have to move back to the coast if we want cold beer.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #172
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Good morning...

It a new day, and anther phone call to Dometic.

I looked at 4 different Dometic Models in RV's that are stored on our lot (not Escape's) and non of the labels have a Climate Class rating listed.

My Dometic contact had no idea of a Climate Class and is going to look into it to confirm what was listed. Not to discredit the information listed, but as we all know...just because it is on the internet...

They are now going to call the manufacturer in Germany to see if it is possible to add more cooling charge to the system to increase the cooling capacity. This may take a few days/weeks to get an answer.

There will be a fix, it just might take more time. I have confidence that we won't be left hanging with these units that aren't up to the task.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #173

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Reece, here is the label inside my 4.3 RM 8551. Your Dometic guy hasn't a clue about why this is there, or what it means? (!)
Attached Thumbnails
DomLabel.jpg  
Old 08-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #174

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Reace, thanks for working on this! If your Dometic guy doesn't know about Climate Class then maybe you are talking to the wrong Dometic person. I have attached a Dometic brochure here that shows several absorption refers that are stated as Climate Class T so any Escape rep that is technical should know about it.

http://www.dometicrvcentre.com.au/do...nager/item/484

Thanks again! Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #175

Trailer: Escape
The RV Doctor: Atwood to Debut Unique RV Refrigerator
Adding or charging a absorption refrigeration system is not easily done.
http://www.rvdoctor.com/2001/02/rv-a...n-cooling.html
It seems that adding more refrigerant would require larger heat exchanger surface areas.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #176

Trailer: 2014 19'
From a Dometic Catalog:

Dometic RM 8551 with Manual Energy Selector (MES) Dometic RM 8555 with Automatic Energy Selector (AES)
≥ Width525mm
≥ Gross capacity: 122 litres without freezer compartment,
115 litres with freezer compartment (12-litre freezer)
≥ Cooling capacity: refrigerator +7°C, freezer compartment
down to –12°C at ambient temperatures up to 32°C (corresponds to climate class SN)

I have seen that Dometic may refer to units being 'tropicalized' to avoid the strict EU Climate Class outside of the EU. So they refer to '(corresponds to climate class SN)' as seen in the above quote.

Reace, and all, Thank you for sorting this out!
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #177

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
No picture - forgot the camera - but the label says:
Model - RML8555 Climate Class - SN
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #178

Climate Class
Minimum Temp
Maximum Temp
SN
10 Deg C
32 Deg C
N
16 Deg C
32 Deg C
ST
18 Deg C
38 Deg C
T
18 Deg C
43 Deg C
Old 08-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #179

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Not sure I understand the minimum temperatures charted. What does that mean in practical terms?
No, don't answer. I have a 5.0 cu. ft. and I'm glad not to be a part of the conversation.8)
Old 08-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #180

Good question, it may apply the next time you buy a refrigerator for your outbuildings.

Those numbers are the temperature range that the refrigerator should operate 'normally' in. In my research many 'household' refrigerators are carrying a 'class' rating now too. So if the unit is installed in a garage or outbuilding you may want to select a different 'class' then in a home.

SN looks great for Canada? But the US (especially if you believe in global warming) would require a "T"?

Personally I would like a "T" as my wife is like a lizard, she comes alive in the heat : ) and we plan to head far south in the dreary winter months. She also likes her food fresh tasting and ... smelling like what it is. I like ice cubes fresh from the freezer!