New 4.3 & 6.7 fridge info - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #181

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
I wonder if moving the thermistor up/down is to adjust the relative cooling between the freezer and main compartment?
No, there is no way to control the compartments separately because there is a single cooling unit for the appliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
I don't think moving the sensor up/down is to adjust the overall temp. All 'fridges I've seen have a knob/button for overall adjust. I hear there are some which don't adjust, thus the Dinosaur Dometic Thermistor Adjuster.
Some electronically controlled Dometic models (including the one in my motorhome) do not have an electronic adjustment, and use this thermistor positioning method for adjustment. It is explained by both a label on the interior of the refrigerator, and a section in the manual. If you slide the thermistor up the fins it sees a warmer temperature, so the cooling unit runs more, and so the refrigerator gets colder.

This sometimes does not give enough adjustment range, perhaps because the thermistor is not properly calibrated, and thus the need for the aftermarket tweaking device.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #182

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not sure I understand the minimum temperatures charted. What does that mean in practical terms?
No, don't answer. I have a 5.0 cu. ft. and I'm glad not to be a part of the conversation.8)
gbaglo, would you at least take a look at the plate on your 5.0 and see if it states Climate Class like Myron's? I believe yours is an N.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #183

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Good morning...

It a new day, and anther phone call to Dometic.

I looked at 4 different Dometic Models in RV's that are stored on our lot (not Escape's) and non of the labels have a Climate Class rating listed.

My Dometic contact had no idea of a Climate Class and is going to look into it to confirm what was listed. Not to discredit the information listed, but as we all know...just because it is on the internet...

They are now going to call the manufacturer in Germany to see if it is possible to add more cooling charge to the system to increase the cooling capacity. This may take a few days/weeks to get an answer.

There will be a fix, it just might take more time. I have confidence that we won't be left hanging with these units that aren't up to the task.

Reace

Hi Reace would it be possible when ordering fridges ask for Climate Class T, are they available?
Old 08-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #184

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I am just guessing here but I suspect if these different rated units are only European spec than wont they all be 240 volt . I seem to think its only North America the uses 120 v as standard .
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #185

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
gbaglo, would you at least take a look at the plate on your 5.0 and see if it states Climate Class like Myron's? I believe yours is an N.

I see no Climate Class indicated.
Attached Thumbnails
fridge label.jpg  
Old 08-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #186
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
I understand some of you are frustrated with the performance of your fridge. The fridge brochure listed is not for North America. Non of the North American brochures list a climate class (that I can find) nor are they listed on the decal plates on the fridges...other than the 8 series units.

As new information comes up, I am presenting it to Dometic and looking for new information and advice on how to improve the fridge performance. As you are also aware, I am diligently working to tweak the current system for a better fridge performance. - I am working on your behalf, however....I am beginning to feel that this is not sufficient for some of you. Please feel free to contact Dometic directly. All of the warranty information is in the owner's package.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #187

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I see no Climate Class indicated.
Thx! I noticed in Dometic's brochures that Climate Class is sometimes listed and sometimes not. Maybe this has to do with their markets...who knows?

Reace, we all appreciate your efforts...please don't mind all of us internet refrigeration engineers!!...
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #188

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Just read gbag's 2008 label. Think I see the problem here. Made in Sweden by a German company for sale in Canada by people in Indiana.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #189

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
I understand some of you are frustrated with the performance of your fridge. The fridge brochure listed is not for North America. Non of the North American brochures list a climate class (that I can find) nor are they listed on the decal plates on the fridges...other than the 8 series units.

As new information comes up, I am presenting it to Dometic and looking for new information and advice on how to improve the fridge performance. As you are also aware, I am diligently working to tweak the current system for a better fridge performance. - I am working on your behalf, however....I am beginning to feel that this is not sufficient for some of you. Please feel free to contact Dometic directly. All of the warranty information is in the owner's package.

Reace
Having taken our fridge in for local warranty repair and being supported by Reace through the entire process, I put my trust in his working through this on our behalf. Anything I would tell Dometic at the point would probably only confuse things.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #190

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Just read gbag's 2008 label. Think I see the problem here. Made in Sweden by a German company for sale in Canada by people in Indiana.
The Dometic Group is actually a Swedish company, with operations around the world, for sale by divisions in both the U.S. and Canada.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #191

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
This to Reace - we appreciate everything you are doing to get to the bottom of this cooling problem . I do not know of any other manufacturer who would bother and spend his time and effort as you have especially when you didn't even make these refrigerators . We Thankyou and just shows us why we went to great lengths to purchase your fine trailer . Thankyou again . 2013 19 ft Linda and Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #192

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
All this talk about fridge problems is unsettling, especially since my 17B, currently in production, will have the 4.3 fridge. It makes me wonder if I should have gone with the standard 3.0 fridge instead.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #193

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Now now, no need for conclusion jumping. Remember immortal words of Charlie Chan: He who jump to conclusion will land on cabbage patch.
My 4.3 still number-one fridge-san with me.
Attached Thumbnails
charlie-chan.jpg  
Old 08-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #194

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Also Dave and Jane, not all members are having issues, only those in the extreme southern portion of the US and then only some of them. I'd get the unit you want not the unit you think is better.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #195

Trailer: 2014 escape 17B
A big thank you to Reace for his diligent attempts at solving fridge issues. We did a month in our 17 B in July throughout Washington and Oregon at 35+Celsius. The 4.3 8 series worked well on all settings. 12v when travelling, propane when boondocking, and shore power in campgrounds. We only open the fridge 3 or 4 times a day, and try to do it as quickly as possible. Ice in a cooler serves for cold beverages.
dglasrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #196
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Jane View Post
All this talk about fridge problems is unsettling, especially since my 17B, currently in production, will have the 4.3 fridge. It makes me wonder if I should have gone with the standard 3.0 fridge instead.
No! Don't worry yourself about it. Look at all the posts. No two people travel the same, pack the refrig the same, in the same "weather."

I'm waiting to hear from Reace before I do anything necessary. NO drilling holes, removing freezers, etc., etc., etc. I am willing to give ETI a chance to SOLVE any issues before I jump to conclusions. YMMV

'EL I'm a former tent camper... I can handle anything!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #197

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I agree Donna . Lets all give Reece a chance here. He is thankfully working hard to improve this . I have posted that out old trailer fridge would freeze things if we were not careful . Keep in mind it was a pig on propane as well. I was always refilling the propane tanks and they were 30 lb bottles . Out 19 is much much easier on propane . I know some of that is furnace but It was largely the fridge . I suspect dometic has made these fridges much more efficient but now we just need to find a good balance between efficiency and performance . I ordered a fan fix and have it but I am certainly going to
Wait until we get our 21 in November and also to let ETI work with dometic
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #198

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
To me, it almost sounds as if I am the only one who's fridge is working well, even in very hot conditions. Maybe the others with good fridge performance are not responding in these fridge threads. It would be interesting if someone knowledgeable about the forum could set up a questionaire to see how widespread this issue really is.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #199
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Dave, I've been on the "all molded forums" for a very long time... I still think it's about how folks pack the frigs and where they park! Keep the frig in the shade (AFTERNOONS) and pack the frig according to how you BUY! Bananas, potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, apples DON'T NEED TO BE COLD! Just kept cool.

Dairy and meat (protein) need to be kept cold.

Have y'all ever had an ambient temperature craft beer? You'll never drink a COLD one again, I promise.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #200

Trailer: No RV for now.
Reace, thank you! You have gone WAY above and beyond any expectation most of us could have! Thanks for all of your efforts! Hope you are getting a little R & R!