New 4.3 & 6.7 fridge info - Page 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #401

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Jim I agree with you that this is Reaces thread under Escape News and all the discussion about our fridge problems should be moved to Problem Solving area of the forum and we should quit hijacking Reaces threads. Its almost impossiable to see if Reace has posted anything new without reading through 40 pages of stuff or searching for his post. I'm as guilty as the rest.

This was done once before and we should leave the Escape News area for Escape News and discuss our problems in the proper area.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #402

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The problem of cold air escaping out the open door is clearly an issue deserving of a simple, immediate solution. I'm going to do like you done it, Fran.

What you guys say about having to wade through 40 pages is true enough. But, when the time comes for Reace to post a real fridge solution he's found it will no doubt light up big time all over the home page of this forum. No one's not waiting for that.

If it was 40 pages of repetitious "thanks, Reace, yadda yadda" that's really what's tedious. He knows, he knows! Twenty thousand hits? Clearly, everyone's involved and that's great for the forum.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #403

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
If everything worked perfectly life would be truly boring for us retired engineers......we love problems!
More or less.
13 years of engineering school and I find myself stressing over power calculations to get my wife's portable oxygen concentrator to run non-stop on 12v and solar. Wire gauge, power draw, flow rate, recharge rate, ... to many %^&*ing variables.

Haven't got to the refrigerator, yet. I'll let you all solve the cooling issue, nozzle size at altitude is next on my plate.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #404

Trailer: 2014 19'
I'd like this to be Reace's channel too so I'm moving to '6.7 fridge leaking cold air' seems appropriate, I can leak hot ... or it can leak cold .. air!
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #405

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Hope whatever the fix is will help our 2010.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #406

Trailer: 2015 Escape 15A
Newbee on "edge" about 4.3 fridge - stick with std 3.0 or?

Hi -
We have a 17A on order for pick up towards end of February 2015, and it would have come standard with a 3.0 C.F. refer, but we ordered upgrade to 4.3 C.F. Having come from decades of tent camping, we could readily survive with the 3.0 refrigerator but liked the idea of greater storage. Have seen several discussions here relating to cooling concerns for the 4.3 and 5.0 CF units and am wondering if such problems have been found with the more basic 3.0 CF? Any thoughts on Pros or Cons of staying the course and hoping the 4.3 CF unit issues are worked out before we have to finalize our order in Dec., or, would one advise to drop upgrade and go to the standard 3.0 refridg. unit?
Thanks for any thoughts on this.

"If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads." Anatole France
2KC Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #407

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Concerns have been mainly with the 6.7.
The 4.3 replaces the 5.0 ( which I have, and have had no issues ).
The 3.0 would be large enough for my beer and that's all. If you are boondocking, it means many more runs to the store for supplies.
Another question is where are you going to be camping? The issue with the 6.7 is mainly among those in extreme southern states.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #408

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
The 4.3 AND 6.7 are climate rated SN - supposed to keep the interior under 40F up to 89.6F ambient.

I *think* the RM2351/RM2354 are ST rated - up to 100.4F.

I doubt if this will be resolved before next summer.

Think about where and when you camp. Some folks think the newer fridges are acceptable, others (including me) do not.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #409
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Unless things have changed, the 3 cf Dometic is the Americana model -- not the 8 series. Most of the issues reported on this forum are concerning the 8 series. These models are EU compatible and comply with EU regulations for power consumption. The RM 8551 and RM 8555 fridges have a climate class rating of SN (subnormal), which means they are meant to be used in climates with sub-normal temperatures. The Americana models do not. In fact, the Americana models cannot be sold in the EU. The Americana models that do display a climate class are not SN, but either N (normal) or ST (subtropical). Bottom line -- an N rated or ST rated fridge will perform better in higher ambient temperatures than an SN will.

Additionally, smaller fridges seem to do better, partly based on anecdotal evidence of their owners, and partly based on the fact that the cooling units have less volume to keep cool.

Based on all of this, IMHO the 3 cf Americana will cool better than the 4.3 cf 8 series.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #410

Good thoughts... thanks

Glad to hear that the 4.3 may not have had the same degree (no pun intended) of cooling issues/problems. In past decades of tent camping, our main cooling problem was inability to find store in southwest selling block of ice for our 1965 Coleman Cooler, so settled for bags of cube ice. This is a bit more sophisticated but it sounds like if we stay with the 4.3 cf it may not be so bad, as most of our camping will be in NW & western U.S. and not down south.
Thanks again for prompt input... nice bunch of folks!
- King

Old 09-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #411

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Concerns have been mainly with the 6.7.
The 4.3 replaces the 5.0 ( which I have, and have had no issues ).
The 3.0 would be large enough for my beer and that's all. If you are boondocking, it means many more runs to the store for supplies.
Another question is where are you going to be camping? The issue with the 6.7 is mainly among those in extreme southern states.
I do not agree. There are surely just as many 4.3 units as 6.7 units with the same heat issues. Those units are exactly the same design except for size. My 4.3 has been an issue for me for 2 years now. I am hoping Reace comes up with the solution this year.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #412

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Same here 43-47 is not acceptable .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #413

So have there been any problems with cooling for the 3.0 cf units, which sound like they may be a different system design (Americana?)?

Old 09-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #414

Trailer: 2012 19 foot
30 degrees in our backyard yesterday.

Ten minutes from Sun Peaks.
berickso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:21 AM   #415

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We have a 2008 fridge... No issues( knock on wood)
Would sometimes like a larger one though
We use a small fan 2-d batteries and now the salad doesn't freeze.
I run it from the second lowest setting.
Have had it be HOT in Yellowstone a couple years ago and the Okanogan and no troubles at all.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:19 AM   #416
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I haven't seen complaints about cooling the 3 cf, at least on this forum. The n or st climate class for the smaller fridge means it works better in hot weather. Some of us on the forum have done a lot of research and some have tinkered with the enclosure, doors, venting, fans, you name it. Not to mention ETI has also been diligently working a solution with Dometic directly.

You can't make a subnormal fridge into a normal or subtropical, but perhaps they can get close with additional fans, box insulation or other 'fixes'.

One of my goals for my upcoming visit to ETI is to pin down the fridge model that will be used on mine, and verify it is NOT an SN rated fridge. I won't have one installed.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #417

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Fridge

Is there still problems with the fridge for 19 or 5,0ta we are looking at both of these not sure if Dometic and ETI ever fixed the problem
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #418

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
Is there still problems with the fridge for 19 or 5,0ta we are looking at both of these not sure if Dometic and ETI ever fixed the problem
Hi Jenny . I would ask Escape to insulate the frig cavity all sides and top . I also would make sure you have at least 1 or more fans in back with your switch if you need to turn on for the 4.3 . For 6.7 the same with for sure 2 fans that if need be you can control also to exhaust heat back there . Ask to make sure there is a baffle back there also . This is something many of us have found needs to be done . Hope this helps . There are many on this forum who can answer any of your questions about these frig 's . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:34 PM   #419

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Jenny . I would ask Escape to insulate the frig cavity all sides and top . I also would make sure you have at least 1 or more fans in back with your switch if you need to turn on for the 4.3 . For 6.7 the same with for sure 2 fans that if need be you can control also to exhaust heat back there . Ask to make sure there is a baffle back there also . This is something many of us have found needs to be done . Hope this helps . There are many on this forum who can answer any of your questions about these frig 's . Pat
Words to live by.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:02 AM   #420

Trailer: No RV for now.
We have a 5.0TA with the 6.7 fridge and have been quite impressed with its performance so far. It works better than any RV fridge we have had in the past; cools quickly and maintains a steady temp when camping. No complaints.