News from ETI for changes in 2019 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
We are driving home now, after picking up our 21'. Another couple was picking up their 21' at the same time so we 'compared' with each other. Seems one other change is the door. Ours is the current style which allows you to open the door to just about any angle. The new door has a pneumatic (or torsion) bar at the bottom which limits you to a 90°degree open door. We hadn't heard of this door change but, obviously, it's either going to be standard or be a new option. The other owner asked about changing to the current style door but was told it couldn't be done after the fact. Plus, it seems, the only way to open the new door all the way is to remove the pneumatic bar at the bottom.
I sure hope this isn't a design change! Having the door stick out 90° from the trailer while camping is less than desirable..
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
I don't know why they're not offered any longer and I didn't give it much thought when they told me the remote fan wasn't available as I thought they were just talking out the smoke-colored cover and the remote (which we never used) ... I didn't realize I'd be giving up the ten speeds. Now that we've dealt with the fan in trying to air the trailer out, I realize how much I miss my old fan.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Seems one other change is the door. Ours is the current style which allows you to open the door to just about any angle. The new door has a pneumatic (or torsion) bar at the bottom which limits you to a 90°degree open door.
Interesting. It looks like you're describing a gas strut (so pneumatic, no torsion), like those used for hatchbacks on cars. We have a strut like this on an RV, but at the top of the door. I does restrict the opening angle, but in our case that's deliberate (to avoid hitting a slide-out). It's very convenient, but does wear out eventually so it needs replacement.

Quote:
Plus, it seems, the only way to open the new door all the way is to remove the pneumatic bar at the bottom.
If someone with a common gas strut on the door needs to occasionally open the door further (such as for more clearance to move a large object in or out), the ends of the strut pop off of the pivot ball easily (although often by prying a spring clip with something like a flat screwdriver tip).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perhaps the door stop only applies with the manual awning vs the power awning? However I know I had to obtain a longer door lock on my 19 to prevent the door from hitting an open awning window while securing it open to the trailer, maybe this is the solution?
Old 09-13-2018, 04:13 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Interesting. It looks like you're describing a gas strut (so pneumatic, no torsion), like those used for hatchbacks on cars. We have a strut like this on an RV, but at the top of the door. I does restrict the opening angle, but in our case that's deliberate (to avoid hitting a slide-out). It's very convenient, but does wear out eventually so it needs replacement.

If someone with a common gas strut on the door needs to occasionally open the door further (such as for more clearance to move a large object in or out), the ends of the strut pop off of the pivot ball easily (although often by prying a spring clip with something like a flat screwdriver tip).
Does this mean that, for instance with rain, your awning has to be fully out (up) or in in order to get in or out the trailer? With only 90 degrees the door will be into the fabric of the awning?
Old 09-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #26

Yes, the manual arms, if lowered completely will need to have the door shut, but once deployed and the awning arms raised, the door has clearance, even with it lowered one end, just not too low.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Perhaps the door stop only applies with the manual awning vs the power awning? However I know I had to obtain a longer door lock on my 19 to prevent the door from hitting an open awning window while securing it open to the trailer, maybe this is the solution?
This seems like the most logical answer. The only other reason I could think of would be to prevent the door from hitting the manual awning arms. If you are right, moving from a friction hinge to a gas strut and restricting the door's movement by ~50% seems to be overkill when a door stop could have solved the issue!
Old 09-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #28

Door stop maybe the wrong description, it is a door lock in open mechanism, but if not opened and utilized, the door will swing open. There is no door stop similar to what you may find in your home that has a rubber stop to prevent damage.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I'm not sure I heard about this. Do you know what necessitated the change? I love the 10 speed MaxxFan. They are still available so a retrofit would be on my list.

Best of luck with your new trailer.
I was told there were a higher number of warranty claims against the upgraded MaxxFan so they stopped offering it.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Door stop maybe the wrong description, it is a door lock in open mechanism, but if not opened and utilized, the door will swing open. There is no door stop similar to what you may find in your home that has a rubber stop to prevent damage.
Sorry Jim, I wasn't referring to the lock mechanism that holds the door open. Just suggesting that the door could be opened past 90 degrees if there was something (like a stop) to prevent it from hitting the windows.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
My only disappointment is the loss of the variable speed Maxx fan. Loved having the low speed fan for nighttime. This fan is just on or off.

Are you sure about that? My ten-year-old Maxxfan has no remote, but has multiple speeds.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #32

The Escape website still states MaxxFan and when you go to MaxxFan products, there are 4 speed and 10 speed models.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
We just picked up our new 19 two weeks ago, and the MaxxFan has multiple speeds, I haven't counted them but it seems like there are 10, definitely more than 4. The fan direction can also be changed from exhaust to blowing in outside air. Also, our door swings well past 90 degrees, not sure if that's associated with the electric awning??
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #34

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Would not like the fact that the door wouldn't open more then 90 degrees.
We have "stuff" parked all over the passenger side of the trailer when camping. With a door open "halfway", your space outside will feel smaller.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #35

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I was told there were a higher number of warranty claims against the upgraded MaxxFan so they stopped offering it.
The upgrade gave you a remote and auto opening 7000K (white) or 7500K (smoke) models. I’m talking about just having the basic 10 speed fan with manual opening which is model 5100K (white) or 6200K (smoke).
Attached Thumbnails
3AD4F02E-C15D-4377-A392-59B90FAB234F.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
We just picked up our new 19 two weeks ago, and the MaxxFan has multiple speeds, I haven't counted them but it seems like there are 10, definitely more than 4. The fan direction can also be changed from exhaust to blowing in outside air. Also, our door swings well past 90 degrees, not sure if that's associated with the electric awning??
Well there you go, nothing to worry about!

Two weeks ago when we finalized our build sheet, the 5100 Maxxfan was standard (I asked and confirmed).
Old 09-13-2018, 09:25 PM   #37
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
We opted for the manual awning, and it has the friction door that opens all the way. The top of the door does very very slightly rub on the top of the awning if we open the door all the way, but it really isn't a problem... we are just mindful not to open the door too wide when the awning is open and because it is a friction door, it doesn't open wider unless we push it open. We can easily get in and out of the trailer without having it touch the awning. If the door does accidentally get opened all the way, it's not a big deal. Figured I'd share this for those that are given both options or are just ordering their trailer.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:34 AM   #38

UPDATE: Your comments sent us back to the instruction manual and we found we CAN adjust the speed. (Have no idea why we were told we couldn't.). Our fan is the 5100K Model vs. the 7500K on our original build sheet. Hooray!!!

Also, both 21'ers that were picked up had manual awnings ... we have the friction door and the other trailer had the pneumatic/gas strut door. At the orientation, the comment was made that the other couple had opted for the new style door (we weren't given an option). Again, a heads up for those working on their build sheet. And just an FYI, the bathroom window (awning style) doesn't open if the manual awning isn't deployed.

Now if we could only figure out why the shower is leaking ....

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 09-14-2018, 01:26 AM   #39

Forgot to mention, the new control monitor has a new, very nice feature. When starting the hot water heater using propane, the indicator light now stays lit the whole time the heater is on.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 09-14-2018, 01:39 AM   #40

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Forgot to mention, the new control monitor has a new, very nice feature. When starting the hot water heater using propane, the indicator light now stays lit the whole time the heater is on.

Ours does too, we also added another feature to it. Can you tell what it is?
Wonder if the problem with the fan was the remotes buttons acting up. I had to disassemble ours twice to get all the buttons working. The second time I coated the pad surfaces with a conductive coating and it has not acted up since.
Attached Thumbnails
control (1).jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote