Photo mock-up and floorplan for new 5.0 - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #141

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
I'm certain he has thought of some form of damping for the new axles, and will use whatever his supplier suggests is appropriate!
Probably true - I'm just asking what that is, and explaining why that might be the (perhaps optional) inclusion of shocks.

I agree - nothing needs to be reinvented.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #142

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
My single axle hybrid has leaf springs, no dampening other then the links that connect the leafs to the frame move fore and aft as the leafs flex. I had to replace the links last winter as the bolt holes had elongated in time. I was told this may have caused early tire wear issues I had. Too soon to know if they were really the cause.

I'd prefer the shocks but no shocks would not prevent me from buying the unit. It's hard to tell if weight has much to do with the selection process, the 5er is pretty light.
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burloak View Post
In my professional opinion the damping requirements of a particular suspension system design has everything to do with its design characteristics and expected loading and very little to do with whatever "premium" means in trailer marketing.
I agree. The characteristics I want are well-controlled suspension action and smooth ride. With a leaf-spring axle, that requires the additional damping of shocks.

Quote:
Fifth wheels have lower sprung weight vs a conventional trailer of the same mass. That in turn lowers the spring rates required to carry the remaining towed mass.
No, I don't think the sprung-to -unsprung ratio is a big deal, but even if it were unusually low spring rates would call for damping for control. I note that the springs (and therefore the spring rates) used in the commodity suspensions under fifth-wheels are exactly those used in the same suspensions under other trailers. The axle capacity determines the springs, regardless of the rest of the trailer... just as the current Escape 5.0 uses a normal Torflex the same as the 17' with the same axle capacity.

Quote:
Close coupled axles don't react simultaneously but rather in sequence and symbiotically to road input. We don't anything about the designers assumptions regarding input amplitude and frequency. I've said before that if you only travel smooth roads you don't even need the springs.
Real tandem suspensions on real roads need springs and damping for acceptance behavior. If damping by interleaf friction is insufficient (as it typically is in packs of only four or five leaves) shocks are the solution. I thought we weren't designing a suspension here?

Quote:
I'm sure if the chassis engineer determines the suspension system needs shocks it will get them, if it doesn't it won't be changing my mind regarding the quality of the escape product.
Reace is the chassis designer; I just asked if anyone knew his choice, and explained why I expected it might include shocks. I am not challenging Escape quality - I wouldn't be interested in the new trailer's equipment if I didn't respect Escape Trailer Industries and its product.

I now regret asking, as I would accept any answer - I would just add shocks if not factory-supplied. My question was also intended to benefit others who might soon be in a position to finalize option choices and might not be willing to add shocks themselves, but all the red herrings about tightly coupled suspension systems and unsprung weight probably killed any hope of clear understanding.

Is that why all the concern: is a simple question about components seen as a criticism of the design? It's not, it's just a question... like people asking what size of tires are supplied.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
My single axle hybrid has leaf springs, no dampening other then the links that connect the leafs to the frame move fore and aft as the leafs flex.
Same with my Boler. Adding shocks smoothed the ride and improved control.
That link (the shackle) is needed but doesn't add useful dampening, which means absorbing energy.

Quote:
I'd prefer the shocks but no shocks would not prevent me from buying the unit.
Same here.

Quote:
It's hard to tell if weight has much to do with the selection process, the 5er is pretty light.
No, the weight's a red herring: a small car and a huge bus both use shocks, for the same reason.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #145

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

Reace is the chassis designer; I just asked if anyone knew his choice.
This may be a bit simplistic, so forgive me, but why don't you email Reace and then post his response here for anyone else who would like to know?

Just a thought.
Christine
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
This may be a bit simplistic, so forgive me, but why don't you email Reace and then post his response here for anyone else who would like to know?
Yes, that's sensible, and that's what Jim Bennett suggested many posts ago. I was just asking here if anyone already knew (and of course if Reace wanted to reply here he could)... before the "you shouldn't even ask about shocks" reaction occurred. Maybe we're over that and sanity can reign again.

I have asked Reace by e-mail; it is not urgent and so I did not press for a reply, but I'll share it when I get one.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #147

Reace has not had a chance to respond to my query yet, and today while waiting I checked the Bigfoot detailed features and options list. I note that while shocks are not available for the single-axle 17.5' model, shocks are standard equipment for the Bigfoot 21' and 25' models. All Bigfoot trailers use leaf springs, and those 21' and 25' models have tandem axles. As Escape is moving into larger trailer sizes, Bigfoot (the other major Canadian moulded fiberglass travel trailer brand, also located in British Columbia) becomes an increasingly direct competitor.

Whether or not the shocks are required, or even desirable, it seems reasonable to me to ask if they will be available or included.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #148

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I remember a member on FGRV selling a 21' Bigfoot in 2012 that had a custom air suspension installed. Boy was that a sweet setup.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I remember a member on FGRV selling a 21' Bigfoot in 2012 that had a custom air suspension installed. Boy was that a sweet setup.
Cool ... do I hear another Escape customization request brewing?

I'll have to look that one up, although of course I have no intention of buying a Bigfoot!
Old 11-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #150
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
At this time, I don't intend to install a suspension dampening kit. I have very little experience towing RV trailers equipped with spring axles. Once the first 5.0 TA is out, I will play around with it and should know quite quickly if it is necessary.

Tammy is pushing hard to take number 1 or 2 down to the Texas Bluebonnet rally in April. If all works, this will be a good test for it!

Today I just received progress pictures from the fiberglass company building the plug. Very cool...I will have them up soon!

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #151

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
The cat is out of the bag!!!!! Tammy and Reace, with a 5 TA at Bluebonnet...keep your fingers crossed gang!!!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #152
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I can only imagine how excited the folks from the Texas area might be to meet Reace and Tammy. Especially those that had a trailer shipped and the owners never made it to the factory... and second owners of trailers too!

The Bluebonnet is on my bucket list!

Patiently waiting on pictures of the plug....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #153

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
At this time, I don't intend to install a suspension dampening kit. I have very little experience towing RV trailers equipped with spring axles. Once the first 5.0 TA is out, I will play around with it and should know quite quickly if it is necessary.

Tammy is pushing hard to take number 1 or 2 down to the Texas Bluebonnet rally in April. If all works, this will be a good test for it!

Today I just received progress pictures from the fiberglass company building the plug. Very cool...I will have them up soon!

Reace
Hi: reace... I'm waiting to view the pic's too!!!
I've heard that Texas is nice in April. Sounds a good test run destination to me!!!
I've started my count down to retirement at week 5. Can't wait for the time to travel. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #154

Thanks for the info, Reace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
I have very little experience towing RV trailers equipped with spring axles. Once the first 5.0 TA is out, I will play around with it and should know quite quickly if it is necessary.
A suggestion:
The most economical and practical shock installation would likely be Dexter's kit (their part no. K71-175-01; two of them for the tandem axles). The top mounts weld onto the frame, and the bottom mounts replace the standard tie plates, so they're trivial to install as the frame is being built, and much more difficult later. If you install the brackets on that first trailer, then you can easily pop the shocks on and off (even just one axle if desired) if you want to try them out... even at a roadside stop.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #155

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki A. View Post
The cat is out of the bag!!!!! Tammy and Reace, with a 5 TA at Bluebonnet...keep your fingers crossed gang!!!
May have to put this one on my calendar, 25 hours is a lot closer than Osoyoos to meet Tammy and Reace.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #156
Site Team

For those interested in the Bluebonnet. Last year reservations opened on Dec. 15. By Dec. 19 there were 126 trailers registered... there's only 130 sites! There was a long wait list and 40+ trailer owners never got to go to the 2013 Bluebonnet. Plan ahead!
Old 11-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #157

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19ft, birthing date September 3, 2014
I will be going! Still trailer less but going, if I could talk hubby into a truck instead if an SUV I would have order the new 5. Darn him! He needs the SUV to carry his RC Heli's around. I guess I could get a truck for me but I love the mileage my Versa gets for everyday driving. After I see it I might change my mind and it would not be to late to change my order.

Xterra
Escape 19 (09/03/14)
Nilotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #158

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I think I said rallies are popular in Texas. This is a great place for Escape Industries to show their new 5.0 and convert some more Casitians. I can just see the continuous long line of lookers now. However because this rally gets bigger every year with just 180 sites available, it's going to be very hard for all Escape owners who would like to attend to get reservations. I was thinking it would be cool to have an rendezvous nearby the weekend before or after Bluebonnet for an Escape "welcome" gathering and a chance to see the newest 5.0. This is just an idea at this point and would depend on Tammy & Reace and their travel schedule. Those lucky enough to get in Bluebonnet could still attend both.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #159

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Where can I find out more about the Bluebonnet?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #160
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Where can I find out more about the Bluebonnet?
There will be two places for info: 2014 Bluebonnet Rally - Casita Travel Trailer Forum and Bluebonnet Casita Rally - Home although the Casita Forum will always be the most current!