Pics of the new interior - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #101

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Red wine or port is always your left.
Not so in visual navigation on US waterways..the rule there is: Red=right=returning

or on the Intercoastal Waterway around Fl the bouys are red on the right going into ports and going northwards up the coast.
AFAICT US boats have green running lites on the starboard bow and red running lites on the port bow, and a white lite aft up high, or atop a mast. FWIW which allow one to tell which way a boat is heading, at night.

https://www.boatus.org/study-guide/navigation/lights/
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:14 PM   #102
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
Not so in visual navigation on US waterways..the rule there is: Red=right=returning

or on the Intercoastal Waterway around Fl the bouys are red on the right going into ports and going northwards up the coast.
AFAICT US boats have green running lites on the starboard bow and red running lites on the port bow, and a white lite aft up high, or atop a mast. FWIW which allow one to tell which way a boat is heading, at night.

https://www.boatus.org/study-guide/navigation/lights/
Interesting...Thanks for the clarification! Now I'm convinced...I better to stick to dry ground, where red means stop and green means go! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #103

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and blue means oh-oh.....
Old 10-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #104

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
The buoys are red right returning because they are fixed in the waterway. The running lights are always starboard green, port red. Buoys are green right going out but that's not a good way to remember it!

In waterways that aren't dead end it will depend on which way you are going what color the buoys are.

But since this is a trailer forum let me say that the rule of sea that I wish were a land rule is that the vessel that is less maneuverable has the right of way! (I.e, a trailer under tow would have the right of way over a regular car or a motorhome.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:33 PM   #105

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've tried using port and starboard, but I always have to convert in my mind. Port is four letters and so is "left", port is left. Right has more letters than left and so does starboard.

It's worse than metric.
It's worse for sculling since the port oar is the one in your right hand. Or in a racing shell you row on your right side when you row port. (Since you face the stern.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:20 PM   #106

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
In that case port is still port. That's the beauty of it. It doesn't matter what direction you're facing, port is still port.

What is really different is operation under the Rhine Blue Board rules. When instead of passing port to port the next oncoming vessel can change it to starboard to starboard. A classic case of it being important that everyone's on the same page.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #107

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
But since this is a trailer forum let me say that the rule of sea that I wish were a land rule is that the vessel that is less maneuverable has the right of way! (I.e, a trailer under tow would have the right of way over a regular car or a motorhome.)

The unspoken rule of the sea is that the bigger you are the more you have right of way. My little 15' half cabin displacement hull with a 9'HP Briggs and Stratton ( hull speed 4.5 knots ) may have been manoeuvrable, but couldn't get out of it's own way, when facing a freighter or ferry.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:04 PM   #108

Talking Lol

I still prefer Drivers side and Passenger side for backing directions from the boss(Holly) ;-)
Old 10-14-2019, 11:21 PM   #109

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
I still prefer Drivers side and Passenger side for backing directions from the boss(Holly) ;-)

I don't want any verbal instructions. I want my spotter to point in the direction that the trailer needs to go and when it needs to stop. I want my spotter to look at me in my mirror, not at the clouds, the birds, or to engage in conversation with our neighbour.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #110

Red face walkie-talkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't want any verbal instructions. I want my spotter to point in the direction that the trailer needs to go and when it needs to stop. I want my spotter to look at me in my mirror, not at the clouds, the birds, or to engage in conversation with our neighbour.
Agreed, but sometimes my 'spotter' has to move: to look at an opposite trailer corner, obstacle, tree, puddle, etc, so we rely on constant verbal comms, awa the mirrors.