Price increase without notice - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Donna View Post
I agree with Robert, it is certainly a great time to buy an Escape. Exchange rates are highly unpredictable, kind of like guessing where the stock market is heading. You may come out better if you wait a year and you may end up kicking yourself because you waited and now the exchange rate is closer to even. If the price of oil keeps going up then you can expect the CAD to strenghten vs the dollar. At least that's the word from the so called "experts".
Other experts are pointing to the Fed raising interest rates over the next year ( which they have indicated will happen as the US economy continues to strengthen ). Canada is not likely to follow as our economy is still struggling. The result of the difference in interest rates is that CAD will fall further.
Once you buy your trailer, these factors will no longer apply.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysd View Post
I had asked Sarah about the price increase on the 21 and this is her reply:

"The price increase to the base price will only effect customers who have not placed an order yet. The only pricing subject to change which may affect you would be option pricing until your Build Sheet is signed off."

Seems reasonable, and I'm glad to hear that you were able to get the previous price, mscharpf.

For those of you who have yet to submit your Build Sheet in the near future, make sure that Escape signs off on it.
Once you sign off on your build sheet here:

Please note you should only sign in the designated area below once you are 100% satisfied with your Options List.

Customer Name X______________________________ Date X______________________

Make sure Escape acknowledges receipt by signing here:

Options Confirmed: 9NOV16 JP
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Then your options prices will be locked in. Of course if decide to change something after signing off on your options sheet you can expect a $200 charge.
Mike & Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:18 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
The Canadian dollar is affected by oil prices though, so I expect it will stay pretty flat even with the strengthening US dollar. It really has hardly moved since we placed our order in April. 77 cents on April 1st and 75 cents now. I think the prediction at that time was for a much bigger drop. Never happened. Lots of forces like central bank policies tend to stabilize things unless one economy goes into recession or something really crazy happens.

If I was looking to order a trailer I wouldn't wait and would make a 50% downpayment to hedge my bet.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:07 AM   #44

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
... It really has hardly moved since we placed our order in April. 77 cents on April 1st and 75 cents now. ....
But even a 2% change on the base price of a $30,000 trailer is $600. Then it's 2% on all the options, too. Every one percent shift adds up....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:12 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
But even a 2% change on the base price of a $30,000 trailer is $600. Then it's 2% on all the options, too. Every one percent shift adds up....
But what I think he was saying is that why gamble when the rate is as good as it is. This 1-2% shift could be in the other direction as well, resulting in an increased cost. 'tis a gamble nobody can accurately predict.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #46

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
But what I think he was saying is that why gamble when the rate is as good as it is. This 1-2% shift could be in the other direction as well, resulting in an increased cost. 'tis a gamble nobody can accurately predict.
I totally agree, and I think that's the take-home message to the OP. If you can afford it now, order it now, and pay for it as quickly as possible. But as Donna D always reminds us, "YMMV"....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Exchange rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
For sure. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You are able to get a great trailer now at a very good price. In short it's a great value with the exchange rate where it is now. No need to wait. Sit on the sidelines too long and you just might get left behind.
Mike & Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:46 AM   #48

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Guess they didn't like the Peel & Stick I put in the kitchen, as I had attached a photo of that.
Laura/Dirk, Sorry to diverge on the thread here but can you provide some pictures of what you did in the galley and what you used. I'm experimenting with a high grade peel and stick product called SmartTiles in my parents trailer.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #49

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Laura/Dirk, Sorry to diverge on the thread here but can you provide some pictures of what you did in the galley and what you used. I'm experimenting with a high grade peel and stick product called SmartTiles in my parents trailer.
See post #144 on this thread that I started when I bought The Trailer home:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...e-9098-15.html

The one sample sheet I saw of SmartTiles had a slightly sticky finish on the top, but the Peel & Stick didn't.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #50

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
What just kills me on some of these replies is that it sounds like the poster has a whole bunch of money that they can easily spend. "buy now" "order now" "it's not that much of a difference" - you get the idea.

However, not everyone is in that situation and they have to save for a long time to afford a trailer. And then to get hit with some unexpected price increases, it can really hurt the budget. And make you question if you're still going to get that trailer.

Yes, I know some have said "if you can afford to", but my impression is that too many on this forum don't remember that.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #51

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Yes, I know some have said "if you can afford to", but my impression is that too many on this forum don't remember that.
And, I still say, what is ETI supposed to do about your personal financial situation? It's not a charity. It's a business.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscharpf View Post
I was excited about ordering a new 21 foot trailer and called ETI last week to get pricing and other info, including name of local owner so that I could see the trailer before ordering. I saw the trailer on Sunday and called today to order. To my great surprise I was informed that the base price of the trailer is now $33000 CDN instead of the $31800 price I was quoted. I was given no notice last week that a price increase was imminent and no willingness by ETI to honor quoted price - not much concern for customer shown here. I'm concerned about no-notice price increases on options if I order, so I've passed on ordering. Others beware.
I understand your frustration. You will not find much sympathy on this forum.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And, I still say, what is ETI supposed to do about your personal financial situation? It's not a charity. It's a business.
Oh, I don't doubt that. They have my money, I have my trailer, it's a business for them. They can ignore or comment on my complaints and compliments as they so desire. I'm just saying that some folks on this FORUM need to remember it's not easy for everyone to just toss their money at ETI that easily. And that attitude comes through all too often. It annoyed me when we were waiting for our trailer. I can well imagine how it's annoying to others waiting or thinking of purchasing.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
They can ignore or comment on my complaints and compliments as they so desire.
I don't think that implying that ETI should change the way they handle price increases is a complaint that they have to listen to or respond to. It's a basic fact of life that prices change, especially when dealing with the variables of exchange rates and supplier increases. Plus their prices seem to change for the new year, they're almost predicable.

Kicking yourself that you should have got off the pot and ordered sooner; no problem with airing that complaint. Complaining that ETI increasing prices shouldn't be a complaint; it should be a "I should have..."

Right now we should be in Panama on a cruise. Wife bailed because of a change in the number of shore excursions. Am I going to publicly complain that the cruise company should have given me the old price? Well, no, I don't think that I'd get a lot of sympathy.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #55

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I understand your frustration. You will not find much sympathy on this forum.
Jubal. Welcome back! Always great to have a ray of sunshine on a cold winter's day.

Actually, he had lots of sympathy, along with lots of opinions on what happened and speculations on why. I am extremely pleased he talked to Tammy and worked things out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:45 PM   #56

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
I have a sign that gave me a laugh every so often in my previous life as a company owner.
Cheers
Doug
Old 12-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #57

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your support.

In the past Escape Trailer Industries has always tried to ensure Customers are aware 'Prices are Subject to Change'. As a company operating with a lengthy wait list price increases incurred by ETI are felt immediately. However, price increases issued by ETI not recouped until ten to twelve months later, which can make it difficult to balance operating costs. For the above reasons ‘Prices are Subject to Change Without Notice’ as listed on the website.

Once a customer has placed an order and processed their deposit the Base Price is 'Locked In' or exempt from any price increases. However, if a customer chooses a different model or completion date then they are subject to the new pricing applicable to that specific trailer or date.

Option pricing often changes throughout the year as suppliers are always implementing price increases, fuel charges, exchange rate fees etc. We record the date of the price increase in the office, however, if a customer has already selected the option prior to the price increase they are exempt from the increased cost.

Option pricing becomes 'Locked In' once a customer has selected that option. Which is indicated by the date and staff initials found on the left side of the customer's build sheet beside the option.

As we here in the office are human and sometimes miss things. We review each build sheet once it has been signed off by the customer. This allows us to catch errors and work with the customer to ensure information has been recorded accurately. We complete this process once the order has been finalized to as the build sheet moves between ETI and the customer several times prior to the assigned Confirmation Date. – As much as ETI does their best to ensure all of the desired options have been selected there is also an onus on the customer to ensure their build sheet is accurate prior to ‘Signing Off’. (If it is not on the final Build Sheet – ETI does not know to add it!)

Escape Office is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:55 PM   #58

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Thank you Tammy for taking time to clarify this for everyone here!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #59

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I agree with you that ETI has the right to set their prices at any level they desire and without concern about anyone's individuals financial situation . I do believe that members of this forum should respect and understand that everyone's financial situation or comfort level is not identical . You have the right to believe that ETI sells their product at a fair price, they treat their customers fairly and their price increases are justified , but others have the right to disagree.
I understand and respect your position and I expect the same understanding and respect from you. Not all members of this forum have had the same experience with ETI as you or others and their experience / viewpoint are as valid as any.

These discussions should not be a forum for personnal attacks
We are not all singing from the same hymnal.

Happy Holidays
Steve D
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:09 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
And why be annoyed if you have to wait for your trailer to be built? The production dates are plainly stated when you order. If anyone doesn't want to wait for a particular type of trailer, there are thousands of stick built's sitting on dealers lots.

I've always waited for what I've wanted and it's kind of like quality is long remembered after price is forgotten. But I'm the type of person who can be choking and gagging over the food in a resturant and if the server asks how every thing is, I will answer just fine. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote