Price increase without notice - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2016, 12:05 PM   #101

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
....professional marketing people know a marketing campaign prior to the actual price increase can be a sales opportunity...for some products and not all but in this case yes.
But ETI can already sell more trailers than they can make....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #102

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
this ain't personal and it ain't a Texas thing...not a local food, clothing, or whatever daily product...as trends illuminate that to the buyer.
was referring to this from a business marketing perspective....professional marketing people know a marketing campaign prior to the actual price increase can be a sales opportunity...for some products and not all, but in this case yes.
Like what for instance? We all assume cars will go up when a new model comes out, is that what you mean? I'm not a professional marketing person so I rarely if ever get the heads up on price increases until I'm at the cash counter, and that's what I was mentioning in my original post.

Edit. Wait a minute, I do recall getting a heads up from a penny stock promoter. Something about a carbon paper stock that was was going to out price Xerox.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #103

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Sales will ultimately dictate price and with the exchange rate the sales should stay ok, because for now they aren't on a level playing field with the other manufacturers. What will be interesting to watch will be when the exchange rate goes to par which is not an if, but a when. Probably the lions share of buyers the last two years bought because the price was mid-20's or less US and on par with most other manufacturers products. Will the sales remain at these levels if the price is mid 30's US and a $10k + premium over the other products? As a long time marketer it will be interesting to watch. We can all make guesses as to what the sales response will be but it is something no one can know the answer to until we get there.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:58 PM   #104
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I'm astonished that there is any level of concern whatsoever over ETI raising their prices without consulting its customers beforehand. Seriously? I can just imagine Reace and Tammy drinking their coffee first thing in the morning, reading this Forum just wondering what else it is they have to do to keep us all happy.
Rich, I've no concern whatsoever if Escape raises their price without notice. In my case however, the trailer base price was raised after I ordered it and had placed a deposit. Options are one thing, base price is another. Each case is different, and we can't cover it with a blanket statement. I do agree in principle however that Escape is more than fair to the vast majority of their customers, and we are quite happy with the entire transaction, except for the base price change we experienced.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #105

Trailer: pondering.....
in the example of the potential buyer who started this thread...The vendor considering a price increase may not know who or how many buyers on are the edge with regard to a purchase decision based on the current price. If the vendor looks at the price increase as a sales marketing opportunity then communicating the impending price increase and in this case for a few weeks both on their website and with any potential buyers they had communicated with recently..the vendor can make those buyers visible to the vendor and perhaps influence that purchase decision resulting in a sale. Without marketing prior to just posting the price increase, the vendor will have lost the sales marketing opportunity and may or may not have lost some potential buyers, but the vendor will never know to what extent. Fortunately for the vendor and the buyer who started this thread, a few replys on the thread suggested the potential buyer contact the vendor and the sale was saved... which in this case probably made both the vendor and the buyer happy. Better communication and perhaps better sales marketing and this thread probably would not have existed.

This thread however did do this camper a favor in bringing attention to a base price increase which was posted on the website, and after sending an email to ETI for clarification (prior to ETI thread post) was assured the base price increase did not affect those with a deposit on a trailer....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #106

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Rich, I've no concern whatsoever if Escape raises their price without notice. In my case however, the trailer base price was raised after I ordered it and had placed a deposit. Options are one thing, base price is another. Each case is different, and we can't cover it with a blanket statement. I do agree in principle however that Escape is more than fair to the vast majority of their customers, and we are quite happy with the entire transaction, except for the base price change we experienced.

Robert, thanks for commenting, but I am still unclear on when your base price increase occurred.

Was it at the time you switched your order to a 19 (e.g. first 19 build sheet had the higher price), or did the base price change on a later version of your build sheet (while changing 19 options)? If the latter, that does not seem in line with the ETI policy that Tammy described.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #107
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
Robert, thanks for commenting, but I am still unclear on when your base price increase occurred.

Was it at the time you switched your order to a 19 (e.g. first 19 build sheet had the higher price), or did the base price change on a later version of your build sheet (while changing 19 options)? If the latter, that does not seem in line with the ETI policy that Tammy described.
When we switched to a 19, the base price of the new build sheet showed as $24,500 CAD. Later, before the build began, we received an updated build sheet showing a base price of $25,500 CAD. Again, when we inquired about the change, we were told it was because the trailer was a 2015 model now, and that the base price had increased for the new model year. There was no mention of the reason being we had switched models.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #108

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So your concern was you were charged for a 2015 model price but ordered a 2014 model? A $800 uncharge in US for a newer year seems minimal. I had a choice for my current, wait 3 months and pay the higher 2017 price or pay the lower 2016 price and get my unit 3 months earlier, I chose the latter but my unit is now a year old model after 3 months.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:41 PM   #109

Quote:
in the example of the potential buyer who started this thread...The vendor considering a price increase may not know who or how many buyers on are the edge with regard to a purchase decision based on the current price. If the vendor looks at the price increase as a sales marketing opportunity then communicating the impending price increase and in this case for a few weeks both on their website and with any potential buyers they had communicated with recently..the vendor can make those buyers visible to the vendor and perhaps influence that purchase decision resulting in a sale. Without marketing prior to just posting the price increase, the vendor will have lost the sales marketing opportunity and may or may not have lost some potential buyers, but the vendor will never know to what extent. Fortunately for the vendor and the buyer who started this thread, a few replys on the thread suggested the potential buyer contact the vendor and the sale was saved... which in this case probably made both the vendor and the buyer happy. Better communication and perhaps better sales marketing and this thread probably would not have existed.

This thread however did do this camper a favor in bringing attention to a base price increase which was posted on the website, and after sending an email to ETI for clarification (prior to ETI thread post) was assured the base price increase did not affect those with a deposit on a trailer....
Thank you for your response however my comments, regarding not getting a heads up on price increases, was based on consumer goods. Your comment, "see it all the time ..marketing 101" is likely because we shop differently. Consumer goods, in my experience, go on sale only for a given period of time, and seldom seem to announce a future price increase. It's just assumed, by me, that the price will eventually go up.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:01 PM   #110

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Fried please.

Yes please with a side of bacon and sausage with 2 sunny side up eggs. And if there's a little fat left in the pan a slice of fried bread. Yummy.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #111
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So your concern was you were charged for a 2015 model price but ordered a 2014 model? A $800 uncharge in US for a newer year seems minimal. I had a choice for my current, wait 3 months and pay the higher 2017 price or pay the lower 2016 price and get my unit 3 months earlier, I chose the latter but my unit is now a year old model after 3 months.
No, that was not my concern at the time. The 17 we originally ordered would have also been a 2015 model, since our build would not start in either case until at least January of 2015. It made no difference that we were allowed to switch to a 19 a couple months later. My concern at the time was simply the base price increase, because I had originally thought that once a trailer was ordered, the base price did not increase.

To be honest, except for the day or two after we received the updated build sheet with the price increase, I didn't really give it much thought. I forgot about it and decided to move on. I was only reminded about it because of this thread.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #112

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
anyone up for some poutine??
I hear there is an upcoming price decrease in poutine futures in some areas....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #113

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Old 12-17-2016, 03:31 PM   #114

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Hypothetical question ?
If one order a trailer , completes the build sheet , put down a deposit and is waiting for delivery . The delivery date takes you into the next model year and ETI raises the price for the new model by
20% or $5000 , what are your options ? If you can no longer afford the trailer at the increased price can you cancel and if you cancel do you forfeit your deposit ?
I am NOT criticizing ETI for raising their prices !!
My only concern is that could one end up being caught in a Catch 22
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #115

Trailer: 1997 casita & 5.0 ta July,2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Hypothetical question ?
If one order a trailer , completes the build sheet , put down a deposit and is waiting for delivery . The delivery date takes you into the next model year and ETI raises the price for the new model by
20% or $5000 , what are your options ? If you can no longer afford the trailer at the increased price can you cancel and if you cancel do you forfeit your deposit ?
I am NOT criticizing ETI for raising their prices !!
My only concern is that could one end up being caught in a Catch 22
My understanding is that if you have put down a deposit and signed off on the build sheet, your price won't go up. I could be wrong.
dmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:47 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
Yes please with a side of bacon and sausage with 2 sunny side up eggs. And if there's a little fat left in the pan a slice of fried bread. Yummy.
Put 911 on speed dial!
Old 12-17-2016, 03:47 PM   #117

That is my understanding and also what Escape posted earlier and having bought three I can say there were several price changes in all of them but Escape never made me feel I was not getting my money's worth.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #118

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
That is my understanding and also what Escape posted earlier and having bought three I can say there were several price changes in all of them but Escape never made me feel I was not getting my money's worth.
Jim , I an NOT guestioning the value ,quality. honesty or integrity of ETI or the products they sell or build . Several posts ( rbryan for example) on this thread seem to say that they were subjected to price increases after ordering due to changing model years . Since many of us do not have unlimited financial resources a major increase in price may cause the trailer they want / ordered to now be beyond their financial reach. Since the purchaser has little or no control over the time frame from ordering to delivery , I think I pose a valid question..Everyone has a price that they are willing to or can afford to pay for any given product no matter how great the product may be.
All I am looking for is a definitive answer and the best way to get that answer may be to call ETI.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:22 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
... the best way to get that answer may be to call ETI.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #120

Would have saved a lot of time and effort....