Price increase without notice - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2016, 02:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 F150 3.5 EB
Price increase without notice

I was excited about ordering a new 21 foot trailer and called ETI last week to get pricing and other info, including name of local owner so that I could see the trailer before ordering. I saw the trailer on Sunday and called today to order. To my great surprise I was informed that the base price of the trailer is now $33000 CDN instead of the $31800 price I was quoted. I was given no notice last week that a price increase was imminent and no willingness by ETI to honor quoted price - not much concern for customer shown here. I'm concerned about no-notice price increases on options if I order, so I've passed on ordering. Others beware.
mscharpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscharpf View Post
I was excited about ordering a new 21 foot trailer and called ETI last week to get pricing and other info, including name of local owner so that I could see the trailer before ordering. I saw the trailer on Sunday and called today to order. To my great surprise I was informed that the base price of the trailer is now $33000 CDN instead of the $31800 price I was quoted. I was given no notice last week that a price increase was imminent and no willingness by ETI to honor quoted price - not much concern for customer shown here. I'm concerned about no-notice price increases on options if I order, so I've passed on ordering. Others beware.
$1,200 additional (it will be less due to the exchange rate) is not a lot considering that Escape is one of the few companies that will customize a trailer for the customer. Having owned several trailers I can honestly say Escape makes a quality product. And I beg to differ with you, but Escape is much more customer oriented than almost any company I have dealt with in my 67+ years. You might try calling Tammy and discuss your disappointment/concerns with her.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Did you talk to the same person both times? Of course, they can raise prices anytime. I would talk to the first person who gave you that quote again if you did not, and if it is not Tammy, I would talk to Tammy. They can do what they want but your case sounds as if they might give you the quoted price. They have such a backlog of orders and a new building going up so it all keeps changing.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
My understanding from Tammy is that if you have a trailer on order the pricing for the options on the build sheet won't change.

As far as their concern for the customer, they sure do a lot of customization and that brings satisfaction. The demand for their product even with the increased capacity says a lot.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
A 4 % price increase may be minor to some and a major obstacle to others.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
With the exchange rate thats 904.00 USD. Not a huge increase. And the price on options can increase until your build sheet is signed off. If the suppliers increase their prices than Escape has to also. Like any other company. And I think that Escape gets alot of supply's from the U.S.. I say go for it while you can. After January 20th who knows. You think this price increase is bad, you ain't seen nothing yet brother! And remember no company is tied to its price until the deposit is put down. Give Tammy a call, from my experience they will work with you.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
A 4 % price increase may be minor to some and a major obstacle to others.
And, what is ETI supposed to do about the poor?
Old 12-14-2016, 03:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The website does show the $33000 CA price now on the 21. Can't remember what they were before on the other models, but I don't think the others changed. Someone else may know. Bummer if they won't honor a price quote a week ago to an active buyer, but I guess they can do so if desired.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
I feel your pain. When we ordered our trailer last year, we went through price increases for the options due to the drop of the Canadian dollar. (We are on the north side of the border)
ETI had no other choice then to raise the price on options. Understandable, as they have to survive too.
ETI only raises prices when needed. But when you are in the "pickle" of this, yes, you get upset. We did too.
But looking back, I am very glad we ordered the trailer with the options we wanted.
My suggestion: Think twice today!!! And if you decide to take the jump, phone Tammy today!!! You might be in for a surprise, and find out not all business are the same!
Old 12-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #10

Few years ago they lowered prices when they got a break from a supplier.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Costs money to go racing. I have contemplated purchasing any number of things at an advertised price only to find that when I went to order the item had gone up. You just have to make a decision if the item is worth the new price to you. It feels good when one goes to purchase something and learns their item is on sale. I've never said, I'll pay the price it was last week, I don't need the sale price. Things go up and the sellers have no way of knowing how serious callers are. We used to bid a lot of equipment. The spec always asked how long the price was firm or the seller stated it with the bid. Gotta ask sometimes.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
This should come as no surprise to anyone that has followed this site. With their increase in costs and currency fluctuations this has been an almost annual occurrence. It keeps them healthy which is good for all of us.
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
With the exchange rate hovering around .75 to the $1, I was wondering how long Escape could keep the current prices. Much of what they buy to outfit comes from the U.S. As I look at it, ALL buyers after 2013 have gotten a great deal from ETI! In 2013 the exchange rate was $1.10 to the $1 Canadian. In other words, U.S. buyers (like me) back then paid 35% more to get a quality trailer. I've never regretted it. While Escapes are not cheap, I have always felt they hold their value, even better than other fiberglass trailers. I agree, a $903 increase for a U.S. buyer is an increase, but still a great buy. Wait, and it will only go up more. As to the options, I found that Escape only increase options when they had to and those increases have never been extreme, only minor. One more reason, get your order in AND pay what you can at the current exchange rates!! It's still a GREAT buy! (This endorsement has in no way been promoted or have I received any compensation for my comments - dang!)
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #14

Could the rising price of crude oil result in increased cost of fiberglass?
Old 12-14-2016, 04:41 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I had a price increase of $1000 between the first build sheet and the second, because my trailer would not start construction until after January 1 of 2015. So, it was considered a 2015 trailer instead of a 2014. It made no difference that I'd been working based on figures that had not changed in 8 months. That's because I had not yet signed the final build sheet and paid for the trailer. Until then, you are subject to such increases. That's just how it works. I was upset a bit yes. But, I'm very glad we went through with it anyway, and understand that Escape may not always be able to warn prospective buyers of an imminent increase in either base price or options price.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:54 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
You could think of it as a change in the exchange rate, if you're of the thought to play mind games with yourself. Because in the end, it wouldn't matter how the rate went up whether ETI or exchange rate. I paid 86 cents to $1 CN, which is ten cents more than the current rate. My point is you can't control either one. The only thing you can control is the options. Maybe wait to buy those shiny wheels until you need to buy new tires in 5 years or so...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:07 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: mscharpf... If I order a 21'er now my base price is $33,000.(CDN) Yours OTOH would be about $25,000(US). I don't think you have anything to "Grump" about.
I'm sure that Reace& Tammy were at the dealers show in Niagara Falls last month. They now know what the components cost for the next round of ordered trailers. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:07 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I think Escape usually warns people publicly when they are about to raise prices. Is that usually true? It would bother me if I spoke with someone about a price and then a week later the price was higher and there'd been no indication when we originally spoke. It's not the best way to start the close kind of buyer/seller relationships that we all have with Escape.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:11 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I can't remember a year that there wasn't a price increase (at the beginning of the next year). It's usually posted on the home page of their website. Sometimes it's really nominal. But I also remember when you could save $1,000 if you ordered a trailer in the fall, because they wanted to keep their employees working through the winter...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 19
I understand your feelings and shock at price change. I felt the same, as I ordered mine in Oct 2014, but at build time it had gone up in price. Then before delivery, delivery cost doubled for me. However, my choice was to continue with the purchase and delivery. I have not regretted my decision.

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote