The new 5.0 Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #1

Trailer: No RV for now.
The new 5.0 Escape

We just got back from the Oregon gathering and noticed some comments on the 21' thread about the upcoming 5.0 Escape. We did talk with Reace about some of his plans for that model and he shared a few thoughts with us. While I had heard about the extended length, he said that it would probably be only about 8" longer than the current 5.0 (not the 18" to 24" extension that I had heard about). It will also be a bit wider (I know that he said it would be wider than the current 19' trailer and I believe that it would be the same width as the 21'), a bit taller, the entry door will be more forward than the current model and it will be double axle. He also plans on moving the stove and sink to the passenger side and the fridge will be on the opposite side; I told him that if we were to order one, I would like the fridge next to the bathroom (which will be opposite of the entry door) and he said that would be possible, but I am not sure if all models would be like that. I thought that would make the dining area a bit more open rather than having a fridge/and floor to ceiling cabinet, right next to one side of the dinette. I noticed that in the 21' this was the case (fridge next to the dinette on the driver side). A closet will be to the right of the bathroom and a small cabinet to the right of the entry door. While these are things he mentioned, nothing is yet on paper, so he is still coming up with the final plan.
He has also mentioned that since the mold to the current 5.0 model is wearing out and he needs to come up with a new one anyway, he felt it was time for some changes. Due to the shrinking mid-size truck market, he felt that he needed to make this next version be suitable for larger, full-size pick-up trucks.
That's about all I know, but all of the above is not absolute; still in the planning stages. We are looking forward to seeing the prototype when it is ready!

It was great to see the interest in the 21' as well as other Escapes that were at the Oregon gathering. Escape Trailers is a very rare company; it is built on integrity, a quality product, ability to customize, and incredible customer service! Having purchased three Escapes from Reace and Tammy (and beginning to think about possibly a fourth!), we continue to marvel at the incredible business they have built.
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
...........Having purchased three Escapes from Reace and Tammy (and beginning to think about possibly a fourth!), we continue to marvel at the incredible business they have built.
Looks like Jim (cpaharley2008 8) has some competition.....

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
This is the first that I have heard anything that suggests that the new model will replace the existing 5.0, rather than being an addition to the model lineup. I wonder if this can be confirmed?

I understand the logic, but it would be unfortunate if the change leaves smaller truck owners without a reasonably towable 5th wheel, if (as seems likely) it sticks everyone with an unnecessary extra axle, or if the height required to clear the ridiculous boxes on current full-sized trucks makes the trailer much too tall with an excessive climb to the bed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I see no reason to not use a midsized truck to tow the new 5.1. From what I understood talking to Reace, is that it will now be towable by a standard 1/2 ton is all.

It sounds like another winner to me. I would never bother to trade up to the 21, but we'll see once the 5.1 comes out, and has been around for a year or two.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This is the first that I have heard anything that suggests that the new model will replace the existing 5.0, rather than being an addition to the model lineup. I wonder if this can be confirmed?
Glad our new 5.0 is in the process of being built then! It's a perfect size as is - more counter space means more stuff to move when packing up to travel and more storage means more stuff packed And who needs to worry about 4 tires when 2 will do?

But then, I've never been a big fan of two-footitis ......... my non-towing vehicle being a Smart car and all
Christine
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 17
I thought I read half ton towable is the best selling rv size in north America. Makes sense to me. Wearing molds out is wonderful problem to have during these years of economic downturn. High five.1 Escape.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
How does one wear out a mold?
Old 07-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #8

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I see no reason to not use a midsized truck to tow the new 5.1. From what I understood talking to Reace, is that it will now be towable by a standard 1/2 ton is all.

It sounds like another winner to me. I would never bother to trade up to the 21, but we'll see once the 5.1 comes out, and has been around for a year or two.
Probably couldn't tow the wider one with a short bed like ours....Frontier Crew Cab with 5 foot bed...
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 17
You didn't read the first post Jim?
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Glad our new 5.0 is in the process of being built then! It's a perfect size as is - more counter space means more stuff to move when packing up to travel and more storage means more stuff packed And who needs to worry about 4 tires when 2 will do?

But then, I've never been a big fan of two-footitis ......... my non-towing vehicle being a Smart car and all
Christine
I agree! And our non-towing car is a Prius.....
Old 07-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Probably couldn't tow the wider one with a short bed like ours....Frontier Crew Cab with 5 foot bed...
I am only familiar with 5th wheels towing with a tractor/trailer, not an RV with a pickup, so am not real familiar with some of the limitations with this combo. Would it be that the corners would hit the cab on a short box on turns?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
How does one wear out a mold?
Hi: cpaharley2008... There's probably been enough running production changes like relocating the awning brackets, the over the bed "Moon" roof, the roof vent for the larger refer, and new windows etc...etc, that a new mold is warranted.
Reace could do as Scamp has, and just keep plugging along with the old... but that's not his style!!!
As long as the new 5th. can be towed by a Frontier sized pickup even I could be tempted. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Minnie...I am with you. I feel lucky to own a first generation 5.0. I tow ours with a Dodge 2500/Cummins. The truck is lowered to accommodate the Escape 5.0. The current height, width, and length is perfect in my opinion. Get to big and you face a host of issues that make small trailers so delightful to own.

And our non-towing vehicle is a Hybrid Toyota Camry to help reduce my carbon footprint.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: cpaharley2008... There's probably been enough running production changes like relocating the awning brackets, the over the bed "Moon" roof, the roof vent for the larger refer, and new windows etc...etc, that a new mold is warranted.
Reace could do as Scamp has, and just keep plugging along with the old... but that's not his style!!!
As long as the new 5th. can be towed by a Frontier sized pickup even I could be tempted. Alf
I see, it is not literally worn out, but function wise becoming useless.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #15

Quote:
I see, it is not literally worn out, but function wise becoming useless.
Hi: cpaharley2008.... LoL... You describe a lot more than trailers!!! Alf
Old 07-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #16

You are right, it is tough getting old. How many days to your retirement?
Old 07-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #17

Quote:
You are right, it is tough getting old. How many days to your retirement?
Hi: cpaharley2008... I can't calculate that cause my batteries are running low. Officially Jan. 31 '14 but then there's holidays etc. to take. I probably won't work past Christmas Alf
Old 07-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #18

Quote:
I am only familiar with 5th wheels towing with a tractor/trailer, not an RV with a pickup, so am not real familiar with some of the limitations with this combo. Would it be that the corners would hit the cab on a short box on turns?
Yes, that is the primary consideration. In order to have clearance for a complete 90 degree turn, the distance from the center of the hitch (the pivot point) to the back of the cab needs to be at least 1/2 of the width of the trailer nose. You can do less extreme turns and probably everything you really need, with a less than 90 degree turn and therefore less distance between the cab and the pivot point. Reace suggests at least 29" distance. BUT the hitch should also be mounted directly over the rear axle of the pickup. With the short beds that have crew cabs, the rear axle is quite close to the back of the cab. So ours is mounted about 9" behind the axle in order to get 29". Seems to work fine but it is probably at the limit.
See our hitch setup and the location related to the axle below:
Attached Thumbnails
hitch in bed.jpg   hitch from side.jpg   Frontier hitched closeup.jpg   Hitched up.jpg  
Old 07-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #19

Thanks for the explanation. Is your box shorter than normal though? It sure looks short to me, with the rear wheels right near the cab.

It could be that I am used to my F250 crew cab, with an 8' box. They don't make 'em much longer.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. Is your box shorter than normal though? It sure looks short to me, with the rear wheels right near the cab.

It could be that I am used to my F250 crew cab, with an 8' box. They don't make 'em much longer.
Hi: Jim Bennett... Nissan Frontiers come in 2 box sizes. 5 Ft. and 6ft. 1 in. Our hitch is slightly behind the axle an inch or so... and we have about 32" clearance and I still managed to rub the cab with the belly band I forgot the truck was pointed up hill at the time... reducing the space!!! Alf
Attached Thumbnails
It'll buff out.jpg