Umbra Mini Hooks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
Here's a pic of the 2 long Umbra hooks we mounted on the bath door and adjoining wall. We mounted them with VHB tape, no screws. The tape runs the full length and width of the the rail. They have successfully held up in both our 19' and 17', never tearing the wood-grain paper despite heavy coats, wet towels, bags, etc.

Altogether, we mounted 5 Umbra hook rails in the 19' [sold last September] and will do the same in our new 19' anticipated on 3/23/18.
I did the same in my 17, back before Escape mounted them for you, if fact, I may be the discoverer of the steel wire used as the hinge (well, my power miter box saw discovered it to the cost of a new blade). I did also use screws, but when a couple of them were obviously into just 1/8" plywood, I added the tape. They were still there 6 years later when I sold the trailer.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA SOLD
Umbra in a 5.0

We did not have Escape install anything at orientation, so it's up to me to put them in. Now I have to ask, what is VHB tape and where do you get it?
padamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
... if fact, I may be the discoverer of the steel wire used as the hinge (well, my power miter box saw discovered it to the cost of a new blade).
I know your post was what saved my radial arm saw's blade! Thanks again Jon!

And the original poster to turn us all on to the Umbra hooks was medora from Michigan. - thanks E

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padamas View Post
We did not have Escape install anything at orientation, so it's up to me to put them in. Now I have to ask, what is VHB tape and where do you get it?
This is VHB tape by 3m. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3242417&rt=rud
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padamas View Post
VHB stands for very high bond. This link may be easier to order shorter lengths. You get one shot with this stuff. Make sure you know exactly where you want it before you give it any type of pressure.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HLY78QW/ref=biss_dp_t_asn
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
... Make sure you know exactly where you want it before you give it any type of pressure.
And that you never plan on removing it.

For the Umbra I put on our 17B, I was able to trim it so that I hit studs. Rather than the VHB, I would try one of the expanding plastic drywall anchors to use at least the strength of the plywood itself. The VHB is still going to rely on the strength of attachment of the vinyl covering to the plywood. Something like this has proved very strong for me on drywall applications.
Attached Thumbnails
61bGcLJx4OL._SL1397_.jpg  

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I can vouch that the panels inside are very thin and should not be used for any heavy hanging, the paper covering can come off, and finding the support studs is critical for a sturdy attachment.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #28

I just received an email from ETI saying they'd install up to 3 Umbra hooks for $25 at our orientation. Whew, that's great since we already signed off our 21's build sheet. Now I need to tell them where we want them to be sure there's sufficient backing for them.

Where do the 21-footer people like their Umbra hooks? How big ?
Old 02-08-2018, 05:20 PM   #29

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i did not reinforce my walls for any of my Umbra hooks i don't think you need to they are very secure. Unless your putting very heavy things on them?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Besides, if ETI is installing it's their problem to put it where you want.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #31

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
I just received an email from ETI saying they'd install up to 3 Umbra hooks for $25 at our orientation. Whew, that's great since we already signed off our 21's build sheet. Now I need to tell them where we want them to be sure there's sufficient backing for them.

Where do the 21-footer people like their Umbra hooks? How big ?
ETI knows where all the framing is and will only put the Umbra hooks where they know they will stay. Mine are on the upper cabinet wall as you enter the trailer, the upper cabinet wall passenger side by the dinette and the wall between the bathroom and the bed. This wall is fully reinforced. They also installed a 3 hook key chain storage bin from Umbra on the lower drawer stack by the bed. At the moment I don't remember the counts for the hooks but I did mention it on another post in this thread or maybe another. Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
ETI knows where all the framing is and will only put the Umbra hooks where they know they will stay. Mine are on the upper cabinet wall as you enter the trailer, the upper cabinet wall passenger side by the dinette and the wall between the bathroom and the bed. This wall is fully reinforced. They also installed a 3 hook key chain storage bin from Umbra on the lower drawer stack by the bed. At the moment I don't remember the counts for the hooks but I did mention it on another post in this thread or maybe another. Hope this helps.

Awesome! Thanks. They were interested in where I wanted them, so I think they want to be sure there is something behind the wall to attach them to, like they might add it if needed. At least that's my feeling. I did send them exactly what and where. They're very nice.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #33

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes ETI installed mine
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #34

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
At the moment I don't remember the counts for the hooks but I did mention it on another post in this thread or maybe another.
Post #2
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post230416
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #35

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Escape wouldn't install the 5 hook Umbra unit on the refrigerator wall, but did put it on the bathroom wall. They cut the remaining 5 hook Umbra into 3 & 2, the 2 on the door end of the kitchen & the 3 on the refrigerator wall.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't do it; I switched the 3 & 5 hook units with no problem.
Hi Jon, I want to ask ETI to put the 5 hook units on the bathroom wall the same way you later switched over yourself. My question to you is did the smoke alarm get in the way when you did the switch and you had to relocate it to make room for the hooks or it wasn't in the way? Thanks.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
Hi Jon, I want to ask ETI to put the 5 hook units on the bathroom wall the same way you later switched over yourself. My question to you is did the smoke alarm get in the way when you did the switch and you had to relocate it to make room for the hooks or it wasn't in the way? Thanks.
Escape mounted the 5 hook Umbra forward & below the smoke detector. When I made the switch, I put the 3 hook version in about the same place. Since I have a bathroom wall folding shelf, I only hang short things on the 3 hook Umbra - hats, etc.Anything long would land on the shelf.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #37

Quote:
Escape mounted the 5 hook Umbra forward & below the smoke detector. When I made the switch, I put the 3 hook version in about the same place. Since I have a bathroom wall folding shelf, I only hang short things on the 3 hook Umbra - hats, etc.Anything long would land on the shelf.
Sorry, I didn't know how I managed to read your original post wrong but I got it the other way round. Anyway it's good to know that the 5 hook unit can be mounted on the bathroom wall and ETI will do it.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:43 AM   #38

Trailer: ?
The framing of the common bath/bed wall in a 21'. ETI provided it so I could hang hooks should I decide to do so. The angle to the top is the rear wall. They just took the photo from the wrong side.

Stand your laptop on end and the picture looks correct.

ED
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0897.jpg  
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #39

Hi Ed, you mean the frame should look like this looking from the bedroom side toward the bathroom side and the red circled piece is the spot to hang hooks, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Inked21 bathroom_bedroom wall frame 2.jpg  
Old 02-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #40

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
Hi Ed, you mean the frame should look like this looking from the bedroom side toward the bathroom side and the red circled piece is the spot to hang hooks, right?

Thank you.
Now I no longer have to view it backwards and reversed.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote