UPDATE - 19' with 3" frame (April 3 2018) - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2018, 12:20 AM   #21

Brian
You are correct in saying a sleeve, would not be practical on a recall.
But would work when first constructing the new frames.
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:38 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
60,000 mile frame 19'

Our 19' ft 2010 Escape Glacier Eggspress has nearly 60,000 miles on her frame and that includes some dirt roads...she has been our winter home 4 months at a time for 8 years...frame inspection looks fine...replaced a water pump and changed her bearings that were still serviceable...everything still working...great product!
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I just received a recall notice from ETI for the 19' frame issue

Just wanted to let everyone know that I just received a recall notice from ETI. The recall applies to those who have 19’ Escape Travel Trailers manufactured between 2009 and 2013. This recall pertains to all 19’ travel trailers manufactured with a 1.5” x 3” chassis.

They offer two choices:
  • Bring the trailer to ETI and they will repair at no cost
  • They will ship the parts to a licened welding shop and reimburse the owner.

There are specific instructions for each option that I won't detail here.

My main reason for posting this is if you own one of the affected trailers and have not received a recall notice, ETI may not have your current email or know that you bought the trailer used. Please contact ETI right away to update your information with them.

Email: partsandservice@escapetrailer.com
Tel: 1 800 703 1650 OR 604 703 1650
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape
Did you recieve the recall notice via e-mail ?
Old 05-02-2018, 02:55 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I received the same notice today by email.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
This is the email that was sent out by ETI...
--------------------------------------------------------------

To Whom it May Concern,

You have received this letter because according to our records you are the current owner of a 19’ Escape Travel Trailer affected by the recall information below.
If you no longer own this unit please contact the office at info@escapetrailer.com or 1 855 703 1650 so we can update our files.
Escape Trailer Industries (ETI) is announcing a second recall on the 19’ Escape Travel Trailers manufactured between 2009 and 2013. This recall pertains to all 19’ travel trailers manufactured with a 1.5” x 3” chassis.
CONCERN
The frames affected by this recall were manufactured with thinner steel aft of the A-frame joint. Prolonged flexing where the front two body bolts run through the frame, combined with the thinner steel have identified a weak area in the frame. The combination of these two variables can cause the frame to break.
PLEASE REMEMBER TO INSPECT YOUR FRAME BEFORE TRAVEL. Specifically the area of the frame near the front stabilizer jacks and body bolts..
SOLUTION
To reinforce the forward frame section by adding a frame support bar. ETI will be providing a custom sized frame support bar, specifically designed to distribute the stress from the hitch evenly throughout the area.
An additional ‘L’ bracket will be included to further reduce the flexing of the trailer body on the frame.
There are two options to have this issue corrected:
1). Contact Escape Trailer Industries in Chilliwack at partsandservice@escapetrailer.com to set up an appointment. Repairs will be available by appointment only.
Or
2). Escape Trailer Industries will ship all required hardware and instructions to the address provided by the customer. Escape Trailer Industries will reimburse the customer as per the Compensation Guidelines below.

COMPENSATION
If Escape Trailer Industries performs the work, there is no charge to the customer. This appointment will take approximately 1 hour to complete. Repairs will be available by appointment only.
If a third party welding shop is used, ETI will pay up to, two hours of shop time to have this repair fixed based off of the average shop time rate of $100/hr.
DUE TO THE LIABILITIES ASSOCIATED WITH THIS RECALL, THIS REPAIR MUST BE COMPLETED BY A CERTIFIED WELDER.
INSTRUCTIONS for WARRANTY REPAIR AND COMPENSATION
1). Please respond to this email/letter providing Escape Trailer Industries with your current mailing address.
2). State your intention as to whether Escape Trailer Industries will be completing the repair or if you will be having the repair completed locally.
3). If you would like the repair completed locally we will ship the required hardware with instructions directly to you; Once your contact information has been confirmed.
4). Once you have received the hardware you will make the necessary arrangements to have the support bars installed as per the provided instructions.
5). Once the work has been completed, please have the repair company contact Escape Trailer Industries and we will provide them with a credit card to process payment.
Or
Provide Escape Trailer Industries with a copy of the invoice and we will reimburse you up to two hours labour at an average shop rate $100/hr. Please note Escape Trailer Industries is not responsible for bank fees.
Please note we will be contacting all customers by email and by post. We apologize for any inconvienence this may cause. Please feel free to forward any other questions you may have.
Sincerely,

Escape Trailer Industries Ltd
43851 Industrial Way
Chilliwack, BC, V2R 4L2

Email: partsandservice@escapetrailer.com
Tel: 1 800 703 1650 OR 604 703 1650
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Yes, via email.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 05-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #28

Trailer: 2011 19'
3 inch frame reinforcement

Here are a couple of pictures of the recall. Note the extra L bracket and the original replacement plate at the juncture where the A frame meets the body frame. This looks like it should last a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer frame Brace 2  013.jpg   Trailer frame Brace 1  012.jpg  

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19' (and used to have a 17b)
While I appreciate Escape responding to the problem, I am unhappy with the optics of the fix. In fix #1, the additional plate and L bracket were not noticeable. In fix #2, by the look of the picture, the additional tubing welded underneath is noticeable, looks rather out of place, and draws attention to the fact there was a problem with the frame.
prairieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieboy View Post
In fix #2, by the look of the picture, the additional tubing welded underneath is noticeable, looks rather out of place, and draws attention to the fact there was a problem with the frame.
Use semi-gloss paint. Not gloss and not flat.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yes, it looks new and is visible now but given that frames get grubby pretty fast it won't be long until it just looks like part of the frame.

I like it and I think that it'll prove to be all that's ever needed to keep the frame trouble free.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:01 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Paint it Black, The Rolling Stones, from my wasted
youth. As long as she holds together most folks are
happy. Form follows function.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieboy View Post
While I appreciate Escape responding to the problem, I am unhappy with the optics of the fix. In fix #1, the additional plate and L bracket were not noticeable. In fix #2, by the look of the picture, the additional tubing welded underneath is noticeable, looks rather out of place, and draws attention to the fact there was a problem with the frame.
I agree that the "look" of the repair is poor (downright ugly!), and kind of looks like something my 5yr old brother would have scabbed together when we were kids. It is unfortunate that this repair is required. The only good thing is that once it is completed, the repair is not readily visible unless you make an effort to look for it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I agree that the "look" of the repair is poor (downright ugly!), and kind of looks like something my 5yr old brother would have scabbed together when we were kids. It is unfortunate that this repair is required. The only good thing is that once it is completed, the repair is not readily visible unless you make an effort to look for it.
Sure to help the resale value.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Sure to help the resale value.
It is either deal with resale at some time, or the insurance company for a claim.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It is either deal with resale at some time, or the insurance company for a claim.
I’ve sold a few used things in my 70 years. Best success comes with representing a good product, pointing out positive features, obvious due diligence and completion to maintenance needs, outstanding faults needing to be addressed and over all general honesty concerning condition. This would include but not be limited to repairs made. If this approach does not impress the potential buyer and he or she keys on a minor cosmetic issue, it’s my experience that you might not be dealing with a serious buyer. A piece of plate steel, competently welded on the underside of a trailer and painted so it won’t rust would not impress me one way or the other, and when I learned the history of the repair and the sincerity of the manufacturer, I’d reach for my deposit envelope, but that’s just me. Bob, what do you want for your repaired trailer, there’s lots of folks looking and maybe I could make a little lunch money?
Iowa Dave
Old 05-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
"I'm getting misty-eyed" -movie Payback.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:54 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I’ve sold a few used things in my 70 years. Best success comes with representing a good product, pointing out positive features, obvious due diligence and completion to maintenance needs, outstanding faults needing to be addressed and over all general honesty concerning condition. This would include but not be limited to repairs made. If this approach does not impress the potential buyer and he or she keys on a minor cosmetic issue, it’s my experience that you might not be dealing with a serious buyer. A piece of plate steel, competently welded on the underside of a trailer and painted so it won’t rust would not impress me one way or the other, and when I learned the history of the repair and the sincerity of the manufacturer, I’d reach for my deposit envelope, but that’s just me. Bob, what do you want for your repaired trailer, there’s lots of folks looking and maybe I could make a little lunch money?
Iowa Dave
I bought my 2013 19’ from a very honest fellow on this forum who not only disclosed the first recall and factory repair, but issues with the fridge that had been addressed as well. I was grateful for the knowledge and the obvious care of both the owner and manufacturer. I have not had a problem with either issue in over 6,000 miles of travel.

Tomorrow I pick up my trailer from ETI with the frame reinforced a second time, and my trust in ETI also reinforced. Every time I see the repair, I will be looking at integrity, and care for the customer. To my eyes, there is not one bit of ugliness in that extra steel bar on the bottom!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 05-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Sigh, if only it had been done right the first time. Carrying over the 3" frame from the 17 escape was a bad decision. And no elephants cannot fly.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:57 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Sigh, if only it had been done right the first time. Carrying over the 3" frame from the 17 escape was a bad decision. And no elephants cannot fly.
No doubt about that, but that is water under the bridge, and finding the best way to move forward is what is needed. No doubt this has been a very expensive lesson for Escape, but I am sure they have learned from it, and it is nice to see they are not backing down from correcting it on trailers some of which are now over 9 years old.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote