UPDATE - 19' with 3" frame (April 3 2018) - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
No doubt about that, but that is water under the bridge, and finding the best way to move forward is what is needed. No doubt this has been a very expensive lesson for Escape, but I am sure they have learned from it, and it is nice to see they are not backing down from correcting it on trailers some of which are now over 9 years old.
Agreed. Hopefully the 3" frame will continue to support the axles and storage tanks after the the recall in implemented.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:55 PM   #42

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Who is doing your frame modification?

We just received the frame reinforcements and instructions. The modification is much more complex than the previous modification, and we're concerned about having the job done properly here in Omaha.

Has anyone had the modification done, and done well, anywhere near Nebraska? Did your technician have to put your unit on a lift to make the modification? We are considering a trip to ETI to make sure the job is done right.

Thanks.

Jay & Liz
Old 06-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvomaha View Post
We just received the frame reinforcements and instructions. The modification is much more complex than the previous modification, and we're concerned about having the job done properly here in Omaha.

Has anyone had the modification done, and done well, anywhere near Nebraska? Did your technician have to put your unit on a lift to make the modification? We are considering a trip to ETI to make sure the job is done right.

Thanks.

Jay & Liz
We used the Elkhart Hitch Shop in Elkhart, IN. (574)266-0475. They do good work and have an employee that is a certified welder (required by eti). They completed the frame reinforcement modification within the two hour time frame allowed by eti and accepted the $200 payment limit. They replaced the cheap chinese knockoff Atwood style coupler with a Bulldog coupler for us last year. We are satisfied with their service and they were very obliging. For us eti is $2K and 2K miles for yet another recall/modification. When will it end? I think eti should replace the undersized,inadequate,poorly engineered frame.
Contact us if you need more information.
Jubal
Old 06-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #44

Thank you, Jubal, for this very helpful response.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
We used the Elkhart Hitch Shop in Elkhart, IN. (574)266-0475. They do good work and have an employee that is a certified welder (required by eti). They completed the frame reinforcement modification within the two hour time frame allowed by eti and accepted the $200 payment limit. They replaced the cheap chinese knockoff Atwood style coupler with a Bulldog coupler for us last year. We are satisfied with their service and they were very obliging. For us eti is $2K and 2K miles for yet another recall/modification. When will it end? I think eti should replace the undersized,inadequate,poorly engineered frame.
Contact us if you need more information.
Jubal

Do you know if they put your Escape up on a lift for the job? We have a trusted welder here in Omaha, but we don't think he has a lift.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #46

I do not believe they used a lift. Raised the front as far as possible (the front jack was fully extended when we picked it up). Used jack stands for saftey and a creeper for mobility on the floor. Be aware of wiring and inverter when drilling through the right angle bracket and floor on the drivers side to install the bolt. I would be wary of using a lift to completely raise the trailer by the frame. It appears that eti uses a drive on ramp.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #47

Quote:
I do not believe they used a lift. Raised the front as far as possible (the front jack was fully extended when we picked it up). Used jack stands for saftey and a creeper for mobility on the floor. Be aware of wiring and inverter when drilling through the right angle bracket and floor on the drivers side to install the bolt. I would be wary of using a lift to completely raise the trailer by the frame. It appears that eti uses a drive on ramp.

Thanks, again, Jubal. Very helpful!
Old 06-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #48

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Since we have the true scissor jacks I think the fix gets a little more complicated. The jacks will hang down too low after the repair. Sent Reace several pictures. We recently received two BAL c-jacks as replacements but no instructions or additional parts. I’m sure there will be separate shipments of the other required parts. Has anyone else had this same experience?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:50 PM   #49

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I would be wary of using a lift to completely raise the trailer by the frame. It appears that eti uses a drive on ramp.
I don't know what ETI would use for this work, but for work on the underside during manufacturing (plumbing, wiring, spray-on insulation, etc) they use a 4-post lift - yes, the trailer rolls onto this like a ramp, and is lifted by the wheels and tongue jack. It is the style of lift typically used by tire & alignment and body shops.

I don't see any issue with a common automotive two-post lift with four arms that are swung under the vehicle (trailer in this case) and lift the frame at four points (the typical style of lift for mechanical work), except that
  • the rear points would likely need spacers to pick up a higher part of the frame than the front points, and
  • the front points would need to be far enough back to leave the work area clear.
Reace might have a suggestion about lifting the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:33 PM   #50

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I received the kit from Escape a while ago, but had trouble finding a local welder that wanted to do the job. I contacted a couple mobile welders and was told $400 to $600. I tried a horse trailer place but they were not interested. I eventually dropped it off to a welder with the understanding that he could do it when he had time as we don’t plan to use the trailer before October.

He kept it a week, and charged $350. He also welded square tubing to the frame to support the stabilization jacks. I am happy I was able to find someone to take care of the issue, and don’t mind the out of pocket cost.

Although the jacks hang down further than before they are a couple inches higher than the black tank pipe, so I don’t see the harm.
Attached Thumbnails
37C4B544-24AD-4880-8B13-38EF08345093.jpg   8CC7EC83-8D42-4DAD-9642-4F24BEABB0FA.jpg  
Old 08-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #51

Trailer: 1980 Apollo
Quote:
Sure to help the resale value.
I'm looking at a 2013 Escape 19' trailer tomorrow and I am definitely going to look to be sure this repair has been done.

I'd pay MORE to an owner who does all of the required repairs quickly.
Shawnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:14 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnna View Post
I'm looking at a 2013 Escape 19' trailer tomorrow and I am definitely going to look to be sure this repair has been done.

I'd pay MORE to an owner who does all of the required repairs quickly.
Even if the 19' you look at does not have the frame repairs completed, you could always take the trailer to ETI and they will do the repairs for free.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:12 PM   #53

Trailer: EXCAPE 2014
Info on recalls

Thanks to all of you who responded to our query concerning the recalls on our recently bought 2014 19 ft. Escape. We have decided, since we live in California, that we will seek out a local business to help us with the repairs. It was a good start for us in this forum and we hope that as time goes on and we learn more about our Escape, we can help others get off to a good start the way that you have helped us.

The Howell Family
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:12 PM   #54

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
My experience; I am a second owner of a trailer that is 8 yrs old. We have travelled a fair amount- east coast, west coast, nothern Alberta and southern US three times. Our frame was fine. We were contacted by ETI in April and advised of the recall and given options. We opted to do the work locally. The frame supports arrived in July with very clear instructions and pictures to support instructions.
This week I contacted a neighbour, a young man who is an agricultural millwright and a certified welder. He looked at the brackets and the instructions and said " this is pretty straight forward" . We set a time , I took the trailer to his residence- where he has a shop- but its not a business. He proceeded to remove the stabilizers, prepare, clamp and weld the frame supports, the additional frame tab, and re-install the stabilizers, complete with a spacer to keep them level , in 50 minutes. He reluctantly accepted $100. I painterd the welds with rust paint, and drilled and bolted the new tabs to the body - which wasn't a big task. I am more than happy that I received the brackets and instructions from ETI- and I have no intention of seeking any further compensation.
I had an older mustang convertible- and the frame actually cracked. I am aware of at least one friend who had the same happen. I know I didn't hear anything from the manufacturer.

Jim
Leisure Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:54 AM   #55

Trailer: not yet
Recalls an issue for non-local Escape owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Thanks to all of you who responded to our query concerning the recalls on our recently bought 2014 19 ft. Escape. We have decided, since we live in California, that we will seek out a local business to help us with the repairs. It was a good start for us in this forum and we hope that as time goes on and we learn more about our Escape, we can help others get off to a good start the way that you have helped us.

The Howell Family
We wish you (and other Escape owners not from lower mainland, BC.) the best luck in addressing this second recall. I see that others, like myself have had trouble finding someone locally who is 1. willing to take on the job and 2. willing to do the work within the $limit (our cost was $442). Note: a crack was found on the bracket behind the elbow, and had to be replaced as well. (We use our Escape gently - not rough roads.)

We would have appreciated having Escape Trailers communicate directly with the welding company (as we requested, but was not done), rather than us as lay people being responsible for all coordination.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #56

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Frank
Hope you’ve had success selling the Parkliner. Best of luck on the retirement and hope to see you at Niagara Falls again one of these days.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #57

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Frank
Hope you’ve had success selling the Parkliner. Best of luck on the retirement and hope to see you at Niagara Falls again one of these days.
Iowa Dave
Hi Dave,

We have a down payment on the Parkliner from some folks in western NC. They expect to be up here on the 27th to check it out and maybe bring it home with them.

We have some plans for that cash that do not include buying an Escape just yet. We want it for a down payment for a smaller home closer to out kids and grandchildren. We hope to have enough cash from selling this residence to buy a 5.0TA and pay off the retirement house. Probably two years out.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #58

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
An update:
I was contacted last week by Dave Warren, the Parts and Service Manager at ETI. He wondered if I had completed the repairs- since they had sent me the parts earlier in the summer and they had not received a request for repair costs.
I advised that I had received the parts, that I had worked with a neighbour, an agricultural millwright and welder and we had completed the task and I was completely satified with ETI's handling of the matter and would be seeking nothing further. He asked If I would send pictures to confirm the quality of work for their records to address the issue of liability. I was more than happy to do that.
He responded after receiving the pictures, indicating the work looked good- and he said he was sending me compensation, even though I wasn't seeking it! It's hard not to be impressed with this company.

Jim
Leisure Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:29 PM   #59

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
That is a great story of how a company should be run. Follow up and compensation...shows they are trying in this competitive world. Reading this may just sell a few more trailers.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #60

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure Lee View Post
An update:
I was contacted last week by Dave Warren, the Parts and Service Manager at ETI. He wondered if I had completed the repairs- since they had sent me the parts earlier in the summer and they had not received a request for repair costs.
I advised that I had received the parts, that I had worked with a neighbour, an agricultural millwright and welder and we had completed the task and I was completely satified with ETI's handling of the matter and would be seeking nothing further. He asked If I would send pictures to confirm the quality of work for their records to address the issue of liability. I was more than happy to do that.
He responded after receiving the pictures, indicating the work looked good- and he said he was sending me compensation, even though I wasn't seeking it! It's hard not to be impressed with this company.

Jim
Great Story, Jim! Thanks for sharing!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote