What new standard/options would you like to have? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2016, 08:07 PM   #41

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Two or three more inches of headroom would be the only thing that would make me consider a new trailer.
Boy I hope not. If the 19 was 2 inches taller it would require major renovations to fit it in my garage. On the other hand it would settle my 17 or 19 dilemma...
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #42

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B21FB
In my experience, oak hasn't been considered a high end choice since the 70's, due to its prominent and open grain. Realizing that cost and availability are factors, I would opt for a more closed grained, naturally light colored wood like maple or alder, perhaps with a light and a mid-toned stain option. I would also like to see updated standard fabrics as well as a corian option for countertops.
shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
As far a fabric goes, you can upgrade to whatever you like, making it way more personal for your own use. The same with laminate, as long as you stick with Formica. Selecting your own vinyl flooring is a bonus too. Of course, these things do come at a cost.

I have very much contemplated using Corian in my trailer, and have looked into it. Their are a few drawbacks for me, that would also be a factor for Escape. I would have to tool up and learn how to install it, though Corian is very fussy about selling their product to only qualified people. The other option is to have someone do the install for me, but this takes away my flexibility to do make minor additions is the future. Lastly, it is quite a bit heavier than the equivalent laminate on wood option. I see in most RV's that use it they use 1/2" material, and even 1/4" is available. I have not ruled it out though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Is there any chance they would install other than laminate at ETI? I would like Corian or solid surface also.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Is there any chance they would install other than laminate at ETI? I would like Corian or solid surface also.
Nope, you would have to do that later. As mentioned, I looked into Corian myself, but it will add a bunch of weight.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
What new standard/options would you like to have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Nope, you would have to do that later. As mentioned, I looked into Corian myself, but it will add a bunch of weight.

There are alternatives of course. I've seen many a motor coach with what appeared to be granite countertops, but were actually lightweight engineered countertops with a thin granite veneer. I've also been seeing online the faux granite films which can be applied directly on top of the Formica. Interesting product, and they say it does give the stone appearance, but I haven't seen it in person.

https://ezfauxdecor.com/
Old 04-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #47

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
To put his latest stunning interior in his 5.0TA, Chris R ordered the trailer from Escape with only the framework of the kitchen cabinet. You can see details of the counter in his Escaping blog. This worked well for him, but is a serious commitment to custom work... and Chris is obviously both highly skilled and hardworking. Otherwise, I agree that you are modifying the stock arrangement after you get the trailer.

We have Corian countertop in our motorhome. Removable sections of the same 12 mm (1/2") thick material form nicely flush covers over the sink and stove... but the material is very heavy (and this isn't even the thickest Corian, which is 19 mm or 3/4") so the removable parts are awkward, Damon did a lousy job of sink mounting in this configuration, the sink covers are sagging with time so they are not really flat any more, and the stove cover has been slightly distorted by residual heat from being put back in place after cooking. Overall, I would not recommend a plastic solid-surfacing material like this except in the thinnest available (6 mm or 1/4") layer with a well-designed support panel under it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #48

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
In my experience, oak hasn't been considered a high end choice since the 70's, due to its prominent and open grain. Realizing that cost and availability are factors, I would opt for a more closed grained, naturally light colored wood like maple or alder, perhaps with a light and a mid-toned stain option. I would also like to see updated standard fabrics as well as a corian option for countertops.
Shotgun, I agree with your assessment on the wood. Looks like you would have to implement those changes after purchase. The fabric you have total control when you order a trailer, as well as the flooring. The counter top you will need to do yourself as well. These are not show stoppers. I love the overall design of the Escape trailers and can't imagine anything else.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:22 PM   #49

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
In my experience, oak hasn't been considered a high end choice since the 70's, due to its prominent and open grain. Realizing that cost and availability are factors, I would opt for a more closed grained, naturally light colored wood like maple or alder, perhaps with a light and a mid-toned stain option.
We have a mid-toned maple interior in our motorhome (the stock material) and I like it. Raised-panel cabinet doors are real solid maple, and cabinet frames are covered in a film which matches very well - the same approach as taken by Escape, but in oak. On the other hand, the appearance is ruined by the use of wildly mismatched phoney wood finishes on some components (notably the casings around the slideouts) and the use of some cheap bits in the imitation-maple areas.

I think the quality of the finishing work and materials, and the coordination of elements throughout the interior, are more important than the specific tree species used (and imitated). I like the maple better, but I'm fine with oak.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #50

Very interesting!
Old 04-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think the quality of the finishing work and materials, and the coordination of elements throughout the interior, are more important than the specific tree species used (and imitated). I like the maple better, but I'm fine with oak.
My thoughts too. I have suggested to Reace the use of maple, but others have wanted darker woods like we do in many homes. For inside a trailer, I much prefer something lighter. Though, oak is not that bad either.

I hear what you are saying regarding more of the quality of workmanship, and attention to detail in lots of RVs. I went to the RV show here this year for the first time, and was astounding at the shoddy workmanship. It was like they hired some rookie to use inferior materials to do the finish work. Around slide-outs and built-ins joinery was just terrible. This was just the majority of units, there were some in the $100k and up range that had nice work done in them though.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #52

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My thoughts too. I have suggested to Reace the use of maple, but others have wanted darker woods like we do in many homes. For inside a trailer, I much prefer something lighter. Though, oak is not that bad either.

I hear what you are saying regarding more of the quality of workmanship, and attention to detail in lots of RVs. I went to the RV show here this year for the first time, and was astounding at the shoddy workmanship. It was like they hired some rookie to use inferior materials to do the finish work. Around slide-outs and built-ins joinery was just terrible. This was just the majority of units, there were some in the $100k and up range that had nice work done in them though.
I have seen that as well Jim, shoddy workmanship on most RVs. When Kim and I visited Chilliwack last September and inspected the Escape top to bottom, we were impressed. We know our stuff as we are re-constructing a house as we speak, a husband and wife team you might say. Overlooking personal preference issues, like wood species and color, we concluded the rig is well made and solid. Placed an order on the spot. Yes a light shaded wood would help a small space look bigger and livelier.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #53

A bathroom sink cabinet like the new Casita 17' deluxe. Very nice looking and I ca store many rolls of tp, toilet tablets, hair dryer, and much more.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Do you have a picture of this ideal sink?
Old 04-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #55

Yes I do. i will try to add it.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:25 PM   #56

I need help in adding a photo to the reply. I can send it in emails.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #57

I sent them.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:41 PM   #58

ok, here they are
Attached Thumbnails
20160427_174225.jpg   20160427_174241.jpg   20160427_174251.jpg  
Old 04-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #59

I will send more pictures with the doors open....after I eat dinner.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #60

Without seeing the new medicine cabinet in the Escape, it will be hard to compare. These pictures look similar to Oliver's set up.