Wow - all exports temporarily suspended - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #201

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I did delete it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #202

Trailer: 2014 19'
Time to move on and bash a different group or person?

So many things that are happening at a border crossing are occurring for a reason. For years there has been video and audio surveillance and the Supervisors actually are seeing/hearing all that is going on during YOUR crossing.

IF the person greets you with a smile so you will feel comfortable .... they will not see 'you' get nervous, fidgety, etc. which tips them off to send you to secondary.

Back in the day they could profile you and let ma and pa pass through. But now they must stop ma and pa to 'prove' they are not profiling.

And guess what, smugglers watch who got through easily and find folks matching that profile, or dress up and act that way, so now YOU look like THEM ....

Be thankful that some people will take these jobs and take your crap while trying to save your butt from some real bad actors. And the next time you feel offended by them ... Thank them, be kind and understanding, so maybe there day won't be quite as bad as it is .....

Oh, keep this in mind, when they are considering purchasing a trailer from ETI, or already own one, how do they feel reading these 21 pages and CANNOT (if they are currently employed by the Government) reply and help you understand what it's like to be in their shoes .... many of the reasons for what they are trained to do is confidential and supposed to 'surprise' bad actors to catch them before they cause mayhem.

Time to stop your whining and complaining and be thankful YOUR country is trying to protect YOU. There will always be a few 'bad apples' and if you are honest with yourselves ... you will admit that YOU don't always treat other folks 'perfectly' at work, at home, and on this Forum....
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #203

Don't believe everything you hear about the Border

PS. You have the right to appeal ANY action that happens to you at the border. The are plenty of Attorneys that will take you case and it won't cost you a cent IF you are right. NO 1 Federal Employee can take an action that would keep you from crossing the border, just ask to talk to the Shift Supervisor to confirm.

Any person that tells you they had to sell their house because they can't get to it is not telling you the whole story. They did do something that resulted in loss of their 'privilege' to cross and they did not appeal it, and win, through the official process.

Tip - don't trust them, it could be something as common as a US DUI which results in not be able to cross into Canada to loop back into the US for a period of time.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #204

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
PS.

Any person that tells you they had to sell their house because they can't get to it is not telling you the whole story. They did do something that resulted in loss of their 'privilege' to cross and they did not appeal it, and win, through the official process.
This particular situation was well documented and covered by the media. Basically it was a personality clash, no substantive reason for the person to be treated the way he was. Appeal process through Seattle didn't seem all that fruitful.

But let's just leave it at; border crossings as Forest Gump would have said are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

Most tense exchange I've seen was an Arab ahead of me going through customs in Israel. Customs lady wasn't happy with his answer. He said your English use was incorrect, use the correct word and you'll get the correct answer. She said, "I use English as a courtesy to you because you don't speak Hebrew". He answered in Hebrew. It was all I could do not break out laughing which would probably have slowed down my crossing.

Yep, treat everyone with respect and hope that it's a two way street.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #205

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I did delete it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #206

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
So many things that are happening at a border crossing are occurring for a reason. For years there has been video and audio surveillance and the Supervisors actually are seeing/hearing all that is going on during YOUR crossing.

IF the person greets you with a smile so you will feel comfortable .... they will not see 'you' get nervous, fidgety, etc. which tips them off to send you to secondary.

Back in the day they could profile you and let ma and pa pass through. But now they must stop ma and pa to 'prove' they are not profiling.

And guess what, smugglers watch who got through easily and find folks matching that profile, or dress up and act that way, so now YOU look like THEM ....

Be thankful that some people will take these jobs and take your crap while trying to save your butt from some real bad actors. And the next time you feel offended by them ... Thank them, be kind and understanding, so maybe there day won't be quite as bad as it is .....

Oh, keep this in mind, when they are considering purchasing a trailer from ETI, or already own one, how do they feel reading these 21 pages and CANNOT (if they are currently employed by the Government) reply and help you understand what it's like to be in their shoes .... many of the reasons for what they are trained to do is confidential and supposed to 'surprise' bad actors to catch them before they cause mayhem.

Time to stop your whining and complaining and be thankful YOUR country is trying to protect YOU. There will always be a few 'bad apples' and if you are honest with yourselves ... you will admit that YOU don't always treat other folks 'perfectly' at work, at home, and on this Forum....
I try to smile and be very cooperative . There are doing a thankless and sometimes especially today ,a dangerous job . I tried to instill in my children to be respectful of authorities as I was taught . Sometimes they can be out of line but you will get a lot farther be nice yourself . Truth be told I wouldn't want their job . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Ron
Looks to me like the Border crossings have become 'guard shacks' in a war zone. Most of us are just merrily driving through but a few are engaged in a deadly spy vs spy vs spy (like MAD mag). I just try to stay out of the cross fire ....

Seems like there are times things happen that we can't explain! The citizen doesn't tell the truth ... and/or the government doesn't either. Odd ducks occur.

Generally speaking the government has extensive appeal routes but it's extremely difficult to find them on your own. We need to patiently call the help line, 2 or 3 times, frustrated by the robot answering .. then the human that doesn't really know the answer but will 'give er my best shot'.

And then hire an attorney, they are cleared to see stuff we can't access. Two years is a good time frame to expect it to resolve in your favor IF you are right by them.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #208

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:30 PM   #209

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Don't worry Tammy. If they won't let you across and you have a craving for something, Wine,Cheese, Beer, etc. we'll get to you. Iowa Dave knows how to skin a Muskrat with an Air Compresser. We can tie it inside and float it across. How bout it Dave you in
I'm up for about anything when it comes to beer. I hauled a 12ver of Tammys favorite 3400 miles in May. Study up on how the Japanese tried to start forest fires in Canada and the western US during WWII with incendiary devices hooked to weather balloons. They understood the jet stream way back then. Enough said.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #210

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
border patrol

We went through border coming back into US and Agent asked to see our enhanced license somewhere in my friends car his sons enhansed license was lost ? We didn't know what he was talking about . Apparently the EL shows up on his computer screen Wel
finally sorted it out never did find his Son licence

BTW we basically almost finished our build sheet the only 2 things left which windows to get tthe sliders or the pushout
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #211
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We went through border coming back into US and Agent asked to see our enhanced license somewhere in my friends car his sons enhansed license was lost ? We didn't know what he was talking about . Apparently the EL shows up on his computer screen Wel
finally sorted it out never did find his Son licence

BTW we basically almost finished our build sheet the only 2 things left which windows to get tthe sliders or the pushout
"Enhanced Drivers License (EDL) in U.S. English, Enhanced Driver's Licence in Canadian English, or Enhanced ID in other common usage, is a card which functions both as driving licence and ID card with limited passport features issued in some states in the United States and some provinces in Canada to people who are both ..."

Hmm. I learned something.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #212

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
"Enhanced Drivers License (EDL) in U.S. English, Enhanced Driver's Licence in Canadian English, or Enhanced ID in other common usage, is a card which functions both as driving licence and ID card with limited passport features issued in some states in the United States and some provinces in Canada to people who are both ..."

Hmm. I learned something.
AND… they are RF sensitive. The ones in Washington State must be carried in an RF sleeve and removed upon approaching the border. It actually shows up on their screens as you approach (is my understanding). If loose in the car without the sleeve, no wonder they were asking for it.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:52 PM   #213

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
AND… they are RF sensitive. The ones in Washington State must be carried in an RF sleeve and removed upon approaching the border. It actually shows up on their screens as you approach (is my understanding). If loose in the car without the sleeve, no wonder they were asking for it.
That makes sense, matches what U.S. Homeland Security says, and probably applies to all Enhanced Driver's Licenses:
Enhanced Drivers Licenses: What Are They?

If you get one of these, you should probably be careful with it. Border protection people (on either side) would be justifiably concerned if one of these is crossing the border without the authorized holder, and once you give them reason to suspect that you are abusing the quicker clearance privileges of an EDL (or Nexus card, etc), it could be difficult to convince them that you really are trustworthy.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:37 PM   #214

Trailer: 1997 casita & 5.0 ta July,2016
We picked up our 5.0 TA this morning. We are at a campground in Chilliwack, and we'll just stay here until the mess gets straightened out and we can export. Thank goodness we are retired and have all the time in the world. I feel sorry for those who have been affected by this and have a limited amount of time.
dmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:42 PM   #215

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Being surrounded by Chilliwack 'Vision' corn that's ready for the pot will help pass the time.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:08 PM   #216

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Glad it all works out for you, though it doesn't. Hope, despite all the hassle, you enjoy your Escape, your camping, and your stay in Canada!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:20 AM   #217

Trailer: 1997 casita & 5.0 ta July,2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Glad it all works out for you, though it doesn't. Hope, despite all the hassle, you enjoy your Escape, your camping, and your stay in Canada!
Thanks, Marry. We are trying to make the best of it. So far, so good! We love our trailer!
dmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #218

Trailer: 17
It's friday, hear any updates from Tammy anyone?
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #219
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
It's friday, hear any updates from Tammy anyone?
Doug & Lucy probably have the most current information since they picked up their 5.0TA yesterday and are waiting to cross the border.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #220

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
This is the update that I got from Tammy on Wednesday:

"
Hello Greg and Teresa,

As per my last email I was working with US Customs and based on conversations with US Customs at the Sumas Border Crossing in Sumas, WA we had hoped to resume exportation early this week. There was concern surrounding the definition of a US Agent as two of the key departments (NHSTA and US Customs) had different definitions for this term. The definition issue has now been resolved however, US Customs has negated on our conversation to provide us with a 30 day temporary pass and ultimately will not allow Escape Trailer Industries to import trailers into the US until we have a NHSTA letter of compliance in hand.

At this time we have received a partial acceptance and are waiting for the final process. I have been told this is a 24hr delay however, given the fact that nothing has gone as scheduled so far with what I have been told - I am still holding my breath. We have been told we are in que and are number 10 on the list. I have asked for a time reference as the number 10 doesn't mean anything to me. I am currently waiting for a response to me voicemail and email. - I will keep everyone updated as I am information becomes available.

I honestly believe we are on an day to day standby and hope to have good news for you shortly.

As soon as I have the okay the driver has agreed he can be here within 24 hours to pick up the trailers for delivery."
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote