Wow - all exports temporarily suspended - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2016, 02:33 AM   #261

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Sorry, should've specified that most of my travel has been in Alberta - other provinces will likely differ.
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #262

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
What I'm saying is do it with customer at home. This is just to test whether clearance to export has happened prior to official notification. If the first one worked I would do a few more to be sure. If it didn't work I would wait a week and try again.
An easy way might be. If you can't get ahold of ETI you could try the Office number. With all the ETI trailers passing through Sumas (or not .. at the moment) a person could call and ask the status. Might help? Good luck. I've called this number to check on specific questions before:

Sumas U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (360) 988-2971
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #263

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think we should leave it to ETI to resolve the issue.
They know what they need to do and who to deal with.
I don't think it helps to run interference.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:00 PM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I was thinking of the folks driving around waiting for their chance to cross. They can get the info 'straight from the horse's mouth'!

In the past I worked with the Border Patrol a lot and they were great to work with, given the chance.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #265

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I agree with you fully! Leave it to ETI! If you don't know what your doing with those government agencies it can do more harm than good. We trusted Tammy and Resse to build our $ 30,000 dollar trailers, lets trust them to straighten this out.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
I agree with you fully! Leave it to ETI! If you don't know what your doing with those government agencies it can do more harm than good. We trusted Tammy and Resse to build our $ 30,000 dollar trailers, lets trust them to straighten this out.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation. My comment was directed to the people who are planning on taking their new trailer across the border ASAP. I am thinking that once they pick up the trailer and are driving around Canada they don't use ETI to 'cross the border'?

From my experience the Border Patrol would have the most current information regarding the end of the suspension. It should be noted electronically and 'instantly' as it's updated in their database. ETI would have to wait until they received the notice however it would come to them, which would always be 'after' the Border Agents would know.

Do they have to return their trailer to ETI and have them take it across the border, and meet up at the restaurant as we did?
Old 08-02-2016, 09:51 PM   #267
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The issue is that a US buyer can't export it. Escape does that, through an export broker, and therefore the trailer is sold for "export only" to US buyers. Otherwise, it would be subject to Canadian taxes.

This means a US buyer can't pick up the trailer and take it across themselves. They can however immediately re-enter Canada, because the trailer has already been legally exported -the minute the export paperwork has been completed and it crosses the border.

There are several other rules for a legal export as well, such as, the trailer cannot contain any of the new owners possessions when it crosses. That's why Escape doesn't allow you to put personal gear or cargo in the trailer before it crosses at Sumas.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:14 AM   #268

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If anyone is interested in current status information, without bothering Escape staff and without bringing the issue to the attention of U.S. border officials, why not just check the VIN Decoder, or in NHTSA's online Manufacturer's Information Database (MID), do a search in WMI (World Manufacturer Identifier) information in the SAE database for "Name contains 'Escape Trailer Industries' AND Country contains 'Canada'"?

The status hasn't changed yet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #269

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If anyone is interested in current status information, without bothering Escape staff and without bringing the issue to the attention of U.S. border officials, why not just check the VIN Decoder, or in NHTSA's online Manufacturer's Information Database (MID), do a search in WMI (World Manufacturer Identifier) information in the SAE database for "Name contains 'Escape Trailer Industries' AND Country contains 'Canada'"?

Excellent information Brian.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:41 AM   #270

Trailer: 2017 19' 5/02/17
Great info
bsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #271

Trailer: 17
LOL we all can post a link, but who can get that goofy colored exclamation mark to go away on that website for Tammy
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
LOL we all can post a link, but who can get that goofy colored exclamation mark to go away on that website for Tammy
Tammy can herself, and she's working on it. We can't; all we can do is stay out of the way.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:56 PM   #273

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The trailer remains empty when brought into the U.S. because it is a vehicle that would have to be inspected for contraband if the owners had already taken possession. The buyers usually take possession on the U.S. side, and not having taken possession yet when crossing the border, the agents do not have to search it. That is what I think anyway. You are not allowed to have anything personal in there. They figured at Escape that our WDH was not a problem in the box.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:47 PM   #274

Quote:

That is so helpful, thank you!

Looks like the process has been in place since 2012.

WMI Application
For Non-US Based Manufacturers:
Beginning January 1, 2012, SAE will begin charging a one-time only fee of $525 USD for companies needing a World Manufacturers Identifier (WMI) code from areas outside of the United States where there is no governing body established to assign a WMI Code.
The code provided will be for on-road vehicles only.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:16 PM   #275

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
That is so helpful, thank you!

Looks like the process has been in place since 2012.

WMI Application
For Non-US Based Manufacturers:
Beginning January 1, 2012, SAE will begin charging a one-time only fee of $525 USD for companies needing a World Manufacturers Identifier (WMI) code from areas outside of the United States where there is no governing body established to assign a WMI Code.
The code provided will be for on-road vehicles only.
Hi Klem so correct if I am wrong is the one time fee for the WMI a one time fee , the manufacturer pays ? Hopefully it is not for each trailer ? Is this something we need to be concerned about for our trailer back in Nov . 2013 ? What if we cross into Canada and then when we come back to the United Stares ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Klem so correct if I am wrong is the one time fee for the WMI a one time fee , the manufacturer pays ? Hopefully it is not for each trailer ? Is this something we need to be concerned about for our trailer back in Nov . 2013 ? What if we cross into Canada and then when we come back to the United Stares ? Pat
Hi Pat, looks like a one time fee the manufacturer pays. Irma asked the same question about our next trip to Canada, probably in September. Now that we are licensed in WA common sense would be it should be fine for us. But who knows.... .?
Old 08-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #277

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When in doubt, panic.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:42 PM   #278

Quote:
Hi Klem so correct if I am wrong is the one time fee for the WMI a one time fee , the manufacturer pays ? Hopefully it is not for each trailer ?
This is certainly for the manufacturer, and not for individual trailers.

Quote:
Is this something we need to be concerned about for our trailer back in Nov . 2013 ? What if we cross into Canada and then when we come back to the United Stares ? Pat
I'm sure that it is not a concern for any trailer which has already been imported into the United States. When a U.S. residents visits Canada with a trailer, that's not exporting and re-importing the trailer - the trailer is just one of your possessions that you're taking with you - so there's no issue.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #279

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

I'm sure that it is not a concern for any trailer which has already been imported into the United States. When a U.S. residents visits Canada with a trailer, that's not exporting and re-importing the trailer - the trailer is just one of your possessions that you're taking with you - so there's no issue.
Thanks . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #280

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:

Yes, we took possession at Sumas and stayed on the U.S. side for a couple of days, or three. We were without hook-ups checking the boondocking/inverter situation, and then went back into Canada for a big trip of several weeks through the Rockies. No problem getting back in. No import/export situation to deal with. Escape already took care of that when crossing to Sumas to give us the trailer.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote