Wow - all exports temporarily suspended - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2016, 07:24 PM   #41

Trailer: Eureka Equinox 6 person tent. (with a broken zipper) 5.0 TA on order July 2017 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
doubt this has anything to do with a small company such as Escape or any other conspiracy theories...just more bureaucratic red tape..looks like they are trying to corral any mfg that doesn't have a traceable VIN to the government std...it will probably cost ETI some more for a lawyer or someone to act as an legal agent in US (if they don't have one) to comply and put up with the paperwork....yes this may impact buyers for the immediate future, but it will get resolved. It may force the production schedule to be pushed out and may result in inventory and cash flow headaches for ETI for the short term. Perhaps they can compress the production schedule for Canadian buyers to keep the doors open until the issues exporting to the US are resolved.
reminiscent of the 80's and 90's when ISO9xxx was somewhat forced on all US mfgs...lots of paperwork and for those mfgs that didn't have good process documentation , it forced them to do a better job and both the mfg and the consumer ended up with a better product in the long run...
this is just about a VIN process it appears, and with no disrespect... one can only imagine what it would take for some small trailer mfg's to pass a ISO9xxx process if they can't even provide a simple wiring diagram....
In the nineties we used to joke that under ISO 9000 you could make styrofoam boat anchors, steel life jackets and concrete parachutes as long as you correctly documented your procedures. ie... you didn't have to make a good product which could compete in a dynamic industry. Back then I worked for a surgical instrument manufacturer and we used to pay for the British Standards Institute (BSI) people to come to Colorado to audit our procedures for the ISO Certification. No offense to the Brits among you (here goes) but we used to joke that the only reason they didn't have a high tech silicon valley type industry was because they couldn't figure out how to get those components to leak oil all over the floor. I loved the BSA Triumph 650 cc motorcycle though.

SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:38 PM   #42

Trailer: Looking for a Quality Built Trailer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
In the nineties we used to joke that under ISO 9000 you could make styrofoam boat anchors, steel life jackets and concrete parachutes as long as you correctly documented your procedures. ie...
LOL..very true..but it did force some mfg's to improve their process and in the process improve their products...
now the early attempts to metric conversion was another matter!

freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:38 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
US buyers used to import the trailer themselves, which meant they had to pay Canadian sales taxes etc. and then apply to be reimbursed. It also caused headaches for ETI.
Not sure, but importing the trailer yourself might be a fallback.
I agree you pay an excise tax but do not owe any sales tax, which is the same amount.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #44

Trailer: 21 hatched JAN 2017, waiting for pickup in May
Hi all, just my 2 cents worth, which due to current inflation cost 10 cents. In my line of traffic crash reconstruction the VIN was important in keeping track of the vehicle And was most important in doing downloads for crash data retrieval, in allowing the computer to know exactly what kind of vehicle we have.

I know that we are talking about recreational travel trailers here, but as retired LEO it is important to have a standard VIN for NCIC and LEADS data entry. Escape trailers have been stolen before, and I hope they won't be stolen again, but VIN standards are important. The need for a registered agent only helps the Feds serve process in the states along with any other lawyer out there who wants to chase an ambulance.

Oh and as for export in the regulations, I believe that they mean export from the US not into it. In this one I'll steal Jim Bennett's quote, Never in doubt, often wrong.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #45

Trailer: Looking for a Quality Built Trailer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
I know that we are talking about recreational travel trailers here, but as retired LEO it is important to have a standard VIN for NCIC and LEADS data entry. Escape trailers have been stolen before, and I hope they won't be stolen again, but VIN standards are important.
good info...perhaps a really big decal with the vin or license plate # pasted on the roof of a trailer is a good idea so it can be videoed at tollways and traffic enforcement helo's...perhaps on top of the AC unit if the trailer has one.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:55 PM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
In this one I'll steal Jim Bennett's quote, Never in doubt, often wrong.
Got that wrong.
It's actually Jim Norman's sig line.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:57 PM   #47
J&G

Trailer: Escape 19
Yesterday we got an email saying ETI is ready to start building our trailer. Yay! Today we got the email about the possible delay. Sigh. Our reservations are already made for the trip in August to BC to pick up our Escape and for a month of camping in our new trailer while we are out west. Also several friends from the east coast have made their plans to camp with us. We are thinking that ETI would not have sent us the email if they weren't expecting a delay.
J&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:57 PM   #48

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Would the exchange rate have something to do with this ? Pat
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:02 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Got that wrong.
It's actually Jim Norman's sig line.
That's for sure, 'cause I'm never wrong.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Hopefully Reace will post here to shed some light on why this has happened and what is required for them to export again.

Regarding the VIN- our placard has a corner that has lifted-could peel it off if I wanted. Is the VIN recorded anywhere else on the trailer?

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote