Wow - all exports temporarily suspended - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2016, 08:23 PM   #51

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
About 30 years ago they used to say about Harley Davidson Motorcycles,'if it wasn't leaking oil, it was out. I didn't want to seem cruel stranding bureaucrats without food or
water. Let's hope cooler heads prevail in the import export quandary and everybody gets to just go camping.
Tomorrow is another day, I came up with this myself, really.
Dave

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 21
Things like this really weren't supposed to happen with NAFTA. It doesn't matter what the rules are, the bureaucracy wins.

Think BIG from the start, its the same effort!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:35 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Wow - all exports temporarily suspended

The US regulatory burden and bureaucracy has grown exponentially in the last several years. That's not a political statement, it's a fact. US citizens are caught up every day (in one way or another) in the mess caused by unelected and unaccountable bureaucrats. This is just another example. Not all regulation is burdensome, and much of it is necessary. This new requirement by the NHTSA however is a solution in search of a problem. You can bet that when that happens, someone or a number of someones have actively lobbied for it, to benefit themselves and hurt others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2016, 08:36 PM   #54

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hopefully Reace will post here to shed some light on why this has happened and what is required for them to export again.

Regarding the VIN- our placard has a corner that has lifted-could peel it off if I wanted. Is the VIN recorded anywhere else on the trailer?
Rossue isn't your vin number in your closet on the paper with your stats ? Also outside on the sticker . I was thinking of putting on roof , maybe get a metal tag attached to frame . Someone posted the importance of vin to help with recovery maybe if trailer is stolen . That makes sence to me . Needing to be in a data base too. I am sure this will eventually get cleared up . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #55

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hopefully Reace will post here to shed some light on why this has happened and what is required for them to export again.

Regarding the VIN- our placard has a corner that has lifted-could peel it off if I wanted. Is the VIN recorded anywhere else on the trailer?
There is an indelible secret VIN somewhere else on the trailer. The exact location is known only to certified vehicle theft investigators. Common law enforcement officers and other uncertified officials do not have access to the exact location.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #56

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
A good friend was a theft investigator for our State Patrol. He never showed me any secrets but he was really proud of his tool kit. It had more fancy little mirrors than a dentist's office. He really liked his job which was one that took about 25 years seniority to even seriously bid on. Whenever I take possession of anything that has a serial or VIN I make copies of the title and or take pictures of the item and serial number and store them in a safe place.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #57

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
According to the regulations mentioned, Section 30112 (B)(3) excludes from the provision any manufacturer who makes a product specifically and marked "For Export only" ...
Keep in mind who is in what country. When a U.S. regulation refers to products made "for export only", surely they mean made in the U.S. for export from the U.S. This has nothing to do with Escape, which neither manufactures in the U.S. nor exports from the U.S.

Quote:
If Escape marks their US trailers for Export and their domestic trailers are not subject to these rules, I think this is much to ado about nothing.
Quote:
Yes, I'm aware of at least 2 members here that left last week to pick up their trailer later this week, vacation time and $$$ are all in limbo. But as I read the reg's, other than some bookkeeping, "Export" only units are not involved and of course those sold to Canadians are not subject to US regs.
This certainly is a non-issue for Escape trailers sold in Canada (because, as others have mentioned, no U.S. regulation applies to them), but it is completely - albeit temporarily - stopping exports from Canada (which are imports to the U.S.) by Escape, which is clearly an issue for several buyers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:44 PM   #58

Quote:
I agree you pay an excise tax but do not owe any sales tax, which is the same amount.
I believe that was baglo's point: in this self-import scheme, a U.S. resident would buy an Escape trailer in British Columbia, where they would pay all of B.C.'s taxes, including the federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) of 5% and a provincial sales tax (PST) of 7%. When they take the trailer out of B.C. and out of Canada, they might be able to claim a rebate of that sales tax from B.C., but that would be a hassle - and substantial expense if they can't get it back. Presumably neither the U.S. federal government nor the U.S. resident's home state would care what tax was paid to the B.C. government, and will charge whatever of their taxes apply.

Currently, it appears that this hypothetical U.S. resident buyer of an Escape could be exempted from paying the PST at all, but there are consequences...
Quote:
Vehicles Purchased for Use Outside BC
If you purchase a vehicle in BC for use outside BC, you are exempt from PST provided all the following criteria are met:
 the vehicle is a type that is eligible for registration (i.e. it is not a vehicle that cannot be registered),
 the vehicle is purchased for use primarily outside BC,
 the vehicle will not be used in BC for a business purpose,
 the vehicle will not be registered in BC, and
 if you are purchasing the vehicle as an individual, you are not a resident of BC.
You are also exempt from PST on the purchase of a vehicle if the vehicle is shipped by the seller for delivery to an address outside of BC. To be eligible for the exemption, no use must be made of the vehicle by the purchaser while the vehicle is in BC.
Yep, no checking out B.C. or camping close to the Chilliwack mother ship... ever.

Escape exporting the trailer to the U.S. is a significant service for buyers who are U.S. residents. I don't know what nightmare would face someone importing a trailer to the U.S. which has never been registered anywhere and fails in any respect to conform to U.S. vehicle regulations.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #59

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21 currently pulled by a 2014 Chevy Traverse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That's for sure, 'cause I'm never wrong.
What did I say, often wrong.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:48 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonbill View Post
Things like this really weren't supposed to happen with NAFTA.
NAFTA is generally supposed to mean that companies can compete across national boundaries within North America as if they are locals. "Free Trade" means no barriers, not no rules to follow. In this case, the only requirement of foreign (to the U.S.) manufacturers is to have a U.S. resident agent. Once that administrative setup is done, it's a level playing field in the NHTSA regulations, so I don't see a problem here.