Wow - all exports temporarily suspended - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #141

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Well then, let us know when you're in the area! (Most people don't know where Felton is ... ).

And congratulations on your 21'. (We've been going back and forth as to whether to "upgrade" or not.) You made a great choice and I know you're going to love it.
Jan,
We just might take you up on it since my sis lives in Santa Clara and we will swing through during the holidays to visit. We can't wait to get our 21, this temporary issue will get resolved.
" It's not an adventure till something goes wrong", Yvon Chouinard
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #142

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
If Progressive found the Escape VIN in that system then maybe they are making progress. The VIN on our 2008 5.0 did NOT decode so perhaps they are prioritizing the newly built trailers.
I don't think so. The error, shown below, is for the manufacturer (identified by the WMI and manufacturer number of 2E9 068), and the problem is at that level, not specific to the trailer. The same problem is reported as when this discussion started, even if you put in a partial VIN omitting the last three digits (so generically describing any trailer of a given year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
NHTSA offers a VIN Decoder; I was not previously aware of this. I tried my car's VIN and it worked well, but for a sample Escape VIN it reports
Quote:
Error Code: 7 - Manufacturer is not registered with NHTSA for sale or importation in the U.S. for use on U.S roads; Please contact the manufacturer directly for more information.
... which is, as Sarah explained, the problem.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #143
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Rob, nothing to do with the topic, but I agree. We're treated better entering Canada than returning to our own country. It's shameful.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #144

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Rob, nothing to do with the topic, but I agree. We're treated better entering Canada than returning to our own country. It's shameful.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I concur...It make one wonder seeing all the barricades and security in place. To me it was intimidating, unwelcoming and not the America I thought. It reminded me of a visit to a prison. No welcoming smiles; and being viewed as a potential criminal...
Old 07-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #145

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Seems to me the US gets a lot more terrorist threats then Canada. I don't mind customs at the border or the security lines at the airport.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #146

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I think it is in the training. US border guards act like they are under orders not to smile. Even when being a bit light hearted, they are as straight faced as ever. Whenever I try to elicit a smile out of them, I just get a solemn stare.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #147

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Seems to me the US gets a lot more terrorist threats then Canada. I don't mind customs at the border or the security lines at the airport.
My experience was in 2009.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:12 PM   #148

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I think it is in the training. US border guards act like they are under orders not to smile. Even when being a bit light hearted, they are as straight faced as ever. Whenever I try to elicit a smile out of them, I just get a solemn stare.
We reentered the US at South of Osoyoos after the rally. They had me pull into the parking area. The officer only wanted to check our refrigerator. When I opened it he could see I did not have any fruits and vegetables. His only comment "Ooooh, Tillamook cheese". With that he said you're good to go. I shook his hand and told him that his outfit was doing a hell of a good job. He smiled. I thought I was Buddy Hackett. Then, two days later I missed the last exit at Sweetgrass Montana. After getting a light chewing for pulling too far ahead the Canadian guard told me how I could turn back around about 500 feet into Canada and return to the US. The American officer watched the whole thing and was professional as I pulled up to the window I explained my actions. He asked me if I had made any purchases during my short Canadian stay. His attempt at being Hackett. Maybe my day is coming but so far Ive had good luck.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #149

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Only once have I ever had trouble crossing into the US. I must just run into the guys that are not the cheerful type.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:25 PM   #150
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Maybe my day is coming but so far Ive had good luck.
Dave
You've lucked out Dave. Crossing back from Osoyoos we were told by a misinformed lady at the crossing that since we were towing a trailer we had to have a secondary inspection. Took about 20 minutes. There's no such requirement, but I wasn't about to argue.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:02 PM   #151

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't think so. The error, shown below, is for the manufacturer (identified by the WMI and manufacturer number of 2E9 068), and the problem is at that level, not specific to the trailer. ....
If that was triggered by a missing Manufacturer's Identification Form (49 CFR Part 566?), that seems a pretty quick fix. That form simply asks: 1) owner of the company, 2) city of incorporation, 3) product(s) manufactured (in simple, brief layman's terms), and 4) GVWR(s) of the product(s). Again, with just four basic trailer models, that seems a pretty quick fix.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:13 PM   #152

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
You've lucked out Dave. Crossing back from Osoyoos we were told by a misinformed lady at the crossing that since we were towing a trailer we had to have a secondary inspection. Took about 20 minutes. There's no such requirement, but I wasn't about to argue.
Maybe the same person we had there a couple of years ago. She was out of her booth, standing on the pavement not looking towards traffic. I pulled up and stopped about 4' from her, she turned around and was surprised to see me. Then she started yelling that I had tried to run her down. You just never know how things are going to go. The fun of traveling.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:23 PM   #153

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
If that was triggered by a missing Manufacturer's Identification Form (49 CFR Part 566?), that seems a pretty quick fix. That form simply asks: 1) owner of the company, 2) city of incorporation, 3) product(s) manufactured (in simple, brief layman's terms), and 4) GVWR(s) of the product(s). Again, with just four basic trailer models, that seems a pretty quick fix.
Close... in case anyone is interested, it is Part 565, rather than Part 566
In NHTSA's online Manufacturer's Information Database (MID), a search in WMI (World Manufacturer Identifier) information in the SAE database for "Name contains 'Escape Trailer Industries' AND Country contains 'Canada'" finds Escape (with the expected values of 2E9 for the WMI and 068 for the small manufacturer ID), but the result is flagged with an exclamation mark...
Quote:
The ! indicates that this WMI may not currently be registered with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration through 49 CFR 565 (proper VIN code accepted and posted) as on-road vehicles.
... which is essentially what Sarah said in her note, and matches the result from a test in the VIN Decoder.

The "!" note goes on to say
Quote:
Submittals provided to NHTSA are available via the search engine by searching Parts 565 / 566 in the previous screen to determine if there is a current approved submittal on file. For recently approved submittals allow for 4-8 business weeks for processing of 565 submittal. If after this period you believe the ! is still in error please contact NHTSA at manufacturerinfo@dot.gov for corrective steps.
In other words, there's a process, Escape Trailer Industries is following it, it takes up to 8 weeks (again as Sarah said), there's no conspiracy nor any need to change any rules, and Escape's people have the contacts they need to get assistance working through this process. The fix is straightforward, but unfortunately not quick to complete.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #154

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
We went through same checkpoint about a week earlier and a nice lady explained they were doing secondary in as many RVs as they could as they are looking for the forbidden fruit. When coming through same place after 2014 Rally another officer was somewhat put out at secondary when he saw some citrus. "You are from California- you should know better". He was right.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #155

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Did he find any kumquats? bureaucrats?
Old 07-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #156

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
As I've commented before, we had a very unhappy customs inspector when we re-entered Canada after assuming ownership of the Escape in Sumas -- she was looking for trouble and clearly didn't want to understand our explanation about picking up the trailer. We figured she either had a fight with her husband that morning or was told she needed to meet a quota. Her superior recognized the absurdity of it right away, but the whole thing was a nuisance on a day when we were very tired and still had a lot to do before we could set up camp. Re-entering the U.S. three weeks later was a snap, but I was annoyed because in anticipation of Customs I threw out all our produce and didn't stock up on meat and fish for Glacier since I didn't want to deal with customs going through our food. I don't feel one bit safer knowing that we all have to go through these hoops to get from one country to another. The people that want to cause trouble will figure out a way to do it while we're burning gas on the Customs Lines.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:19 PM   #157

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I know ETI has a lot on it's plate right now, and I trust they have contacted affected delivery customers directly, but it's interesting that the delivery schedule currently posted on their web site does not reflect the 6-8 week shut down they anticipate for border crossing. They are still showing room on the truck for July and August deliveries to the U.S. Maybe they are hoping to clear this all up in short order. Or maybe addressing this on their web site is a relatively low priority at this time. And I don't blame them. I just trust that this will be a non-issue and distant memory by the time our July 2017 completion date rolls around, and when we do receive our new Escape, the registration process will be a breeze.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:28 PM   #158

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Border Inspectors. GS-5 $27k/yr. You're not dealing with the FBI here!
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2016, 01:32 AM   #159

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Border Inspectors. GS-5 $27k/yr. You're not dealing with the FBI here!
Valuable lesson in perspective.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:05 AM   #160

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had my trailer inspected passing into Canada or coming back into the US. And after this year's rally, upon entering at Sweet Grass, Montana, the border guard said "Welcome back to the U.S." Planning to go to NS, NB, and PEI next May. We will have to wait and see if our luck holds out.