Wow - all exports temporarily suspended - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2016, 08:00 AM   #161

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had my trailer inspected passing into Canada or coming back into the US. And after this year's rally, upon entering at Sweet Grass, Montana, the border guard said "Welcome back to the U.S." Planning to go to NS, NB, and PEI next May. We will have to wait and see if our luck holds out.
Just to wander the thread a little... A scenic way to get from ME to NB is to take the ferry from Campobello to NB. Customs is a small building as you cross the little bridge from from Lubec ME to Campobello, at least it was last time we were there a few years back.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #162

Trailer: 17
Very true, if anyone knows Tammy, you know she Kicks but and gets work done

"In other words, there's a process, Escape Trailer Industries is following it, it takes up to 8 weeks (again as Sarah said), there's no conspiracy nor any need to change any rules, and Escape's people have the contacts they need to get assistance working through this process."
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #163

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Just to wander the thread a little... A scenic way to get from ME to NB is to take the ferry from Campobello to NB. Customs is a small building as you cross the little bridge from from Lubec ME to Campobello, at least it was last time we were there a few years back.
I'm sure it is scenic and different, but I personally don't do boats!
Old 07-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #164

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
I personally don't do boats!
I thought that was a prerequisite to live in Florida
Old 07-22-2016, 11:15 AM   #165

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
I'm sure it is scenic and different, but I personally don't do boats!
Hi: C&G in FL... I believe there is a bridge from Luber to Campobello Island http://www.fdr.net after you cross thru the border. I wanna go there too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:07 PM   #166

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I thought that was a prerequisite to live in Florida
No more than eating road killed possum is a prerequisite to live in (fill in the State of your choice!).
Old 07-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #167

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
No more than eating road killed possum is a prerequisite to live in (fill in the State of your choice!).
Or the fact that all Canadians live in igloos and eat whale fat.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #168

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
LOL, my guess would be Tennessee. We don't wear shoes either.

Actually I was born and raised in Florida and lived there for 46 years

And Canadians don't live in igloos? Man you learn something everyday.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #169

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Just received this E-mail from Tammy.
Let's all be patient like she asks and hopefully this won't take long.

Hello John,

Thank you for your email.

Please find below a copy of the email we sent out earlier this week. At this time this notice does NOT affect you and the I am asking for your patience as we continue to work with NHSTA, the DOT and US Customs to resolve everything in a timely fashion.

As I continue to work with customs it does appear as though we may be able to resume exportation as early as Monday. However, until I receive confirmation I am not posting any further information.

Effective July 18, 2016 US Customs is temporarily suspending all US exports from Escape Trailer Industries. There are new importation requirements required by the US Department of Transportation which are being enforced by US Customs.
We have always followed the processes for exportation, trying to keep appraised as to the importation requirements of the US DOT. We have just received notice that the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has implemented further requirements for all Foreign Vehicle Manufactures.
Unfortunately, it may take up to eight weeks to complete the registration process allowing ETI to comply with the new registration requirements for the Foreign Manufacturers Reporting Requirements and VIN Decoding Requirements. This is extremely frustrating for ETI as these new requirements have become effective immediately, there is no transition or grace period allowing uninterrupted exportation, and importation of trailers from Canada into the US.

At this time Escape Trailer Industries is temporarily unable to export any trailers into the US until they fall into compliance of these new regulations being implemented by NHTSA.
We appreciate your patience and understanding, we will contact you as soon as we know more.
Please feel free to forward any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Tammy Harmatuik, Business Manager

Escape Trailer Industries Ltd.
43851 Industrial Way, Bldg. B
Chilliwack, BC, V2R 4L2
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:26 PM   #170

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: C&G in FL... I believe there is a bridge from Luber to Campobello Island New Brunswick Vacation | Maine Vacation | Roosevelt Campobello Island International Park after you cross thru the border.
Yes, but once you are on Campobello Island (in New Brunswick), to get anywhere else you need to take at least one ferry - it looks like two, with a short transit of Deer Island between them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #171

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, but once you are on Campobello Island (in New Brunswick), to get anywhere else you need to take at least one ferry - it looks like two, with a short transit of Deer Island between them.
Used to be 3. Campobello is a pretty neat island, whales, salmon farms, lighthouse, FDR. For camping it has a nice provincial park, also a very nice ME state park just to the north.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:21 PM   #172
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Here's hoping Escape can resume exports earlier than first stated. Seems they're on top if it.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #173

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I got a later email stating that their application for a 30 day grace period was denied this afternoon. So no shipments on Monday. Now they are trying to prove hardship for both themselves and their customers. Seems like that would be simple to do, but of course, with our government, nothing is ever simple.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:09 PM   #174

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
shipments

I booked myself on a flt to Sea to go up to ETI to bring up my sunbrella fabric and to look and take measurements of the new 21 . They say they have a completed 21 to look at . So Monday or Tue. we will be taking a look at and visiting some old friends in Sea. WA. I hope to take a lot of pictures and get some good measurements. Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #175

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for all of your support with this current challenge we are enduring with NHSTA.

I have been working with US Customs, the DOT, and NHSTA to determine when this new program came into effect and why Escape Trailer Industries or their broker was not notified of the upcoming change.

Although, many of you have apologized on behalf of your government I believe we face miscommunication between departments whenever changes are made. Regardless if it is a large government organization or even in our own home organizing family activities. Fundamentally, I agree with the reasoning behind the Foreign Manufacturer's Registration requirements which is to stop uncertified vehicles entering the US. Many of which have been 'written off' in an accident and rebuilt but are not able to pass inspection.

When this program was enforced earlier this week I don't believe the US DOT was able to plan for all of the possibilities they would encounter. I believe all departments have been inundated with inquiries which is why they are currently targeting specific border crossings and not others. Yes, we could change the border crossing we use however, I would not want to risk the trailer being impounded by US Customs.

Everyone I have spoken with over the past week within each department has done their best to provide me with the required information however, as a new program many of the individuals I spoke with did not have the correct information I required.

All of the required documentation has been submitted as of Thursday and on Friday we were told we may be able to begin exporting trailers by Monday. However, due to different definitions with each department surrounding the definition of a US Agent. We were denied our request.

I am not a patient person especially given the circumstances and I have been speaking with the US Customs Officers at the Sumas, WA border crossing on a daily basis. Ultimately until we show up in their system or they receive written consent from NHSTA we cannot import trailers.

After some 'strong' discussions this morning

...I do not recommend anyone challenging their customs officer when he gives you his opinion (Lets just say I won't be crossing the border for a little while) ....

We have agreed to wait until Monday when the Chief of Importation is back in his office to continue our discussions.

The good news is that we are not the only company enduring this plight. Customs informed we are one of six companies they have refused entry to this week and by Friday two of those companies had been processed. Which would suggest that instead of a six week wait we are hoping for a one week wait.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Tammy
Escape Office is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:57 PM   #176

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Old 07-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #177

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Good to hear for all concerned ! Pat and Linda
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #178

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Thanks, Tammy. Let us know if you need help making bail before this is over.

Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #179

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Very positive news for all concerned. And I'm so relieved to read that it does not appear to be some big conspiracy.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:08 PM   #180

Trailer: none yet
Those damn Yankees
(Just kidding)
Poco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote