Wow - all exports temporarily suspended - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2016, 11:36 PM   #81

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You can blame that muckraker rbryan4 in post #53 Pat. He started it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ban 'im!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:38 PM   #82

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
And of course that doesn't work in reverse. We were agents for a national wireless carrier and lost some sales to Costco's in store agent Wireless Advocates because they charges sales tax on a made up figure rather than adhere to CA Board of Equalization rules. Despite our protests that practice continues today.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:40 PM   #83

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I know Brian but I think the exchange is in the mix and why not make it harder on them succeeding . Making life miserable . Big business does not have a conscience . I know this is all conspiracy theories .
If all Canadian RV manufacturers gave away their product free to anyone wanting one in the U.S., and ran at their maximum capacity to meet the demand, and all Canadians stopped buying any RVs built in the U.S. (which would nearly mean no new RVs in Canada), the total effect at Thor wouldn't be much more than a blip in sales. Just not much motivation there...

No business - large or small - has a conscience. People do, and they make business decisions. If you make your business decisions based on what makes others miserable, rather than what makes your company succeed, I think you can expect to fail.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:42 PM   #84

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

It would surprise me if anyone at Thor even noticed that there are travel trailers made in Canada, let alone care about them enough as competition to lobby for obstructive legislation which would probably backfire on them anyway. The entire output of travel trailers of all Canadian manufacturers is nothing compared to Thor's own output, and even more insignificant compared to the total of U.S. manufacturers.

Agree. Escape is certainly not competition for them.

Don't know that even Casita or Scamp worry too much about Escape because they cannot seem to keep up with their own orders from what we hear. If they had plans for expansion though, Escape could be a problem.

Oliver makes so few units and apparently wants it that way. Escape could be competition for them but Oliver is what it is, which seems so different in the fiberglass world that they are set apart, due to weight and expense.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:44 PM   #85

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I don't agree on the conscience piece Brian. That is an absolute and am a little surprised to see it.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:48 PM   #86

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Let's talk softwood.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:54 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Unfortunately, corporations have learned that it's best to stifle the small business before it becomes a large business with a significant following. And, if you can't buy them out, get the Government to regulate them to death.
Aside from the fact that Escape is not of significance to any large RV manufacturer, there's the problem that Escape isn't being asked to do anything special - they just need to follow the same rules and processes as everyone else. In fact, small vehicle manufacturers such as Escape get some favourable treatment, although probably nothing of significance for trailers.

Quote:
The Government's edict may be a legitimate one, but it took someone to point out to them that Escape, for one, should be scrutinized.
Really? With modern systems, processing an import means looking the product up in a database, and if the database isn't there then the problem is apparent. In this case, the VIN of each imported trailer should be checked, and for an Escape that check fails (as described in post #14). No snitch needed!

Let's say you decided to make cars, in your backyard, completely "under the table". Your neighbors might hate your factory, the conspiracy theorists might think that General Motors will spot you with their spy satellites and bribe a Senator to create a law against you, but in fact it would all come crashing down as soon as you went to the motor vehicles registration office and tried to register a vehicle without a VIN. No conspiracy, just a working administrative process.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:11 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I don't agree on the conscience piece Brian. That is an absolute and am a little surprised to see it.
What's surprising? A corporation can't think, or feel, or do anything else like that. It can have rules which encode a set of values or priorities, the people operating it can follow them or not, and together they create a social environment (currently called a "corporate culture") which encourages certain behaviours (such as following the rules or not), and some might call that a corporate conscience... but in fact it all boils down to the actions of individuals. A company can't feel guilty about doing something it knows is bad, because it can't feel or know; the people can feel guilty (or not) because they know (or don't know) that what they're doing is wrong.

Certainly some companies have policies, people, and a culture which leads to responsible behaviour (think: Escape), and others have policies, people, and a culture which reward cheating on every rule and finding ways to make money at any cost (think: Uber). That's a difference, but I wouldn't call it a difference in conscience. Maybe we're just tripping over terminology?

This is a challenge of trying to understand why something bad happens - if you think that companies are people and look for the boogeyman among them, you can miss the more mundane reality of administrative processes.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:30 AM   #89

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If that's the case, how do you explain stuff that happened ( whatever that was ) when the Canadian dollar was worth $1.12 US?
I don't think Americans spent a lot in Canada like now . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:33 AM   #90

Quote:
Unfortunately, corporations have learned that it's best to stifle the small business before it becomes a large business with a significant following. And, if you can't buy them out, get the Government to regulate them to death. The Government's edict may be a legitimate one, but it took someone to point out to them that Escape, for one, should be scrutinized.

Let's hope the issue is quickly resolved and the matter becomes a thing of the past.
We kind of think alike . Pat
Old 07-20-2016, 01:23 AM   #91

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I really can't get my head wrapped around this and don't know that I want to.
All I can think about is how many people have waited a year, booked time off work and out of their lives a long way out to make the exciting trip to go to Chilliwack and pick up their new Escape in the next two months or were expecting delivery. Now they are being told they can't come and get their trailer they've been waiting for almost a year and deliveries are on hold. I am so very sorry that this has happened to the folks waiting for their trailers pickup/delivery and just feel so sad for everyone that will be affected. What an absolute bummer.....
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:49 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I really can't get my head wrapped around this and don't know that I want to.
All I can think about is how many people have waited a year, booked time off work and out of their lives a long way out to make the exciting trip to go to Chilliwack and pick up their new Escape in the next two months or were expecting delivery. Now they are being told they can't come and get their trailer they've been waiting for almost a year and deliveries are on hold. I am so very sorry that this has happened to the folks waiting for their trailers pickup/delivery and just feel so sad for everyone that will be affected. What an absolute bummer.....
Gregg even if we aren't saying it and discussing government and stuff, because we don't know what to really say , You are so right it is a bummer . Hopefully this gets resolved quickly .Thankyou for speaking for I am sure , all of us . Pat
Old 07-20-2016, 05:46 AM   #93
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Nobody at the NHTSA has probably ever heard of Escape Trailers. It wasn't a rule targeted at them or any specific small manufacturer. It was targeted at all of them. But, it seems again, it's a solution in search of a problem, and it hurts the little guy to the benefit of the big one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2016, 06:23 AM   #94

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
About the only good thing I can think of that will come out of this debacle is ETI will become part of a huge data base here in the lower 48 and when customers go to register their trailers it may make things smoother and easier, with ETI now on the inside so to speak.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:24 AM   #95

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
Looking the good and bad of this situation.

Today would have been our orientation for our new 2017 model 21. It was completed on Monday, July 18th. Fortunately, because of busy schedules, we decided to have it delivered to New York.

Of course, it is a real disappointment that we will not be receiving our trailer when we expected. If it truly does take eight weeks to start shipments again, our attendance at the Niagara Wine Escape may be in jeopardy. That would be disheartening.

On the positive side, if We had decided to pick the trailer up, we could be in Chilliwack, BC today. We would have traveled 2,700 miles, one way, and had no way to bring the trailer home. It would have been a trip for nothing. We would be making plans to return home empty handed and repeating the entire trip eight weeks later.

Peter & Nancy Styer
Frewsburg, NY
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:40 AM   #96

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Wonder if we were supposed to be on the same truck?

Peter and Nancy, was your delivery supposed to be next week? The reason I ask is that there were supposed to be two other trailers on our delivery truck with deliveries to Ohio, Goshen (ours) and then NY. And yes, it is a real disappointment after waiting for a year, but I think I feel more sorry for ETI. So much of their business now is to US customers, they have to be really scrambling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyer View Post
Today would have been our orientation for our new 2017 model 21. It was completed on Monday, July 18th. Fortunately, because of busy schedules, we decided to have it delivered to New York.

Of course, it is a real disappointment that we will not be receiving our trailer when we expected. If it truly does take eight weeks to start shipments again, our attendance at the Niagara Wine Escape may be in jeopardy. That would be disheartening.

On the positive side, if We had decided to pick the trailer up, we could be in Chilliwack, BC today. We would have traveled 2,700 miles, one way, and had no way to bring the trailer home. It would have been a trip for nothing. We would be making plans to return home empty handed and repeating the entire trip eight weeks later.

Peter & Nancy Styer
Frewsburg, NY
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:57 AM   #97

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
It sounds like we were the same truck. Tammy said our truck had stops in Tennessee and Ohio.
I agree with your statement about ETI being the affected most. This will need to be their top priority until they can resume shipments again.
It will also affect their delivery company. They are also effectively shut down. When shipments do resume, there will be a backlog that will need to be cleared.
Peter
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:38 AM   #98

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyer View Post

Peter & Nancy Styer
Frewsburg, NY
Hi: pstyer... I certainly understand your predicament. Never would have thought this "Road block" could have been thrown up so quickly to stymie your trailer delivery. As a matter of fact I have never seen a thread go from 0 to 100 as fast this one has. I only hope the "Smoke and mirrors" clears up quickly for all involved!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #99

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
So sorry for all you potential Escape owners waiting for your campers and ETI for this delay. Hopefully, this will be resolved soon.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:39 AM   #100

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
We are keeping our reservations for Defeated Creek

Titanizer, we are hoping it gets resolved much quicker than 8 weeks.

And we are keeping our site at Defeated Creek for the weekend of Sept 23rd, so still planning on hanging out with you and the other Egg Campers that weekend.

Just don't let my wife hang out in your 21 too much, she really loved the 21 the one and only time we spent in one, and if we had a bigger tow vehicle...well, you know the rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanizer View Post
So sorry for all you potential Escape owners waiting for your campers and ETI for this delay. Hopefully, this will be resolved soon.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote