Wow - all exports temporarily suspended - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #221

Trailer: 5.0TA 19 Aug 2016, 2012 Dodge RAM 1500, Andersen Hitch.
We were informed yesterday (7-28) by "our" gal that today and Monday are Canadian holidays and that we should call back Tuesday for an answer to our question. Maybe Tammy might be in the office grinding away on our US Dot & Customs people...just a thought. We are scheduled to get our 5.0TA on 8-19. You hear people tell of strange things like time-compression and that sort of thing in periods of "crisis". This may not be a "crisis" but form a Sep '15 order date and now we are within a couple of weeks, the time has gone from slow-motion to a pretty rarely rapid gallop!
ethanallen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #222

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmetz View Post
We picked up our 5.0 TA this morning. We are at a campground in Chilliwack, and we'll just stay here until the mess gets straightened out and we can export. Thank goodness we are retired and have all the time in the world. I feel sorry for those who have been affected by this and have a limited amount of time.
Great attitude Doug and Lucy! What a lovely part of the world to be "stuck" in. Enjoy your stay, explore a little, and really get to know your 5.0 TA. Life is good!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #223

Trailer: 1997 casita & 5.0 ta July,2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Doug & Lucy probably have the most current information since they picked up their 5.0TA yesterday and are waiting to cross the border.
Greg and Teresa have the most recent information. That's still where things were as of yesterday. We will be going to the office on Tuesday to see if any progress has been made to get over the last hurdle.
dmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #224

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
This is the update that I got from Tammy on Wednesday:

"
Hello Greg and Teresa,

As per my last email I was working with US Customs and based on conversations with US Customs at the Sumas Border Crossing in Sumas, WA we had hoped to resume exportation early this week. There was concern surrounding the definition of a US Agent as two of the key departments (NHSTA and US Customs) had different definitions for this term. The definition issue has now been resolved however, US Customs has negated on our conversation to provide us with a 30 day temporary pass and ultimately will not allow Escape Trailer Industries to import trailers into the US until we have a NHSTA letter of compliance in hand.

At this time we have received a partial acceptance and are waiting for the final process. I have been told this is a 24hr delay however, given the fact that nothing has gone as scheduled so far with what I have been told - I am still holding my breath. We have been told we are in que and are number 10 on the list. I have asked for a time reference as the number 10 doesn't mean anything to me. I am currently waiting for a response to me voicemail and email. - I will keep everyone updated as I am information becomes available.

I honestly believe we are on an day to day standby and hope to have good news for you shortly.

As soon as I have the okay the driver has agreed he can be here within 24 hours to pick up the trailers for delivery."
have not had the pleasure yet of meeting Tammy, but really like her grit and tenacity when dealing with govment workers. .....might even write her in as a third party candidate even if she ain't a citizen.....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #225

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanallen2 View Post
We were informed yesterday (7-28) by "our" gal that today and Monday are Canadian holidays...
Neither is a national holiday, but Monday (2016 Aug 01) is the civic holiday ("British Columbia Day" in B.C.). Today isn't a government-defined holiday, but a lot of people take the Friday before a Monday holiday as a day off to stretch the weekend, so it's a bad day to find people in offices. Similarly, it is popular to take vacation time after the Monday holiday, to use a statutory holiday instead of a day of vacation allotment.

The Escape Trailer Industries website says that their office is closed "July 29 – August 4, 2016". That's today through next Thursday.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #226

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Lovely

Quote:
The Escape Trailer Industries website says that their office is closed "July 29 – August 4, 2016". That's today through next Thursday.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #227
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Being closed and not working are two different things. I can imagine there's a certain amount of employees working at ETI trying to resolve this export issue. But, I wouldn't imagine they're available to just answer email or general phone call questions either if they've already stated they're closed.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #228

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I'm sure you are correct Donna, just letting my frustration show a little I guess. I don't in anyway blame ETI for this mess that our government has created, and I'm trying to be patient, but it's hard at times. I'm supposed to be on my up to Indiana right now to meet the delivery driver, but instead I'm here at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Being closed and not working are two different things. I can imagine there's a certain amount of employees working at ETI trying to resolve this export issue. But, I wouldn't imagine they're available to just answer email or general phone call questions either if they've already stated their closed.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:38 PM   #229
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
I'm sure you are correct Donna, just letting my frustration show a little I guess. I don't in anyway blame ETI for this mess that our government has created, and I'm trying to be patient, but it's hard at times. I'm supposed to be on my up to Indiana right now to meet the delivery driver, but instead I'm here at work
I DO understand your frustration. Just like with frig issues, we need to place blame where it should be.

Current camping will ALWAYS beat an orientation or delivery HANDS DOWN!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #230

The sign on the door at ETI said they'd be open again on Tuesday. Sarah mentioned that they would have 4 days off. Unless I misread and misunderstood...but, you never know about me.
Lucy
Old 07-29-2016, 10:51 PM   #231

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Hopefully out testing product.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:11 PM   #232

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The sign on the door at ETI said they'd be open again on Tuesday. Sarah mentioned that they would have 4 days off.
The website definitely says August 4th, which is Thursday; however, it could just be a typo on the website. I note that last year August 4th was the Tuesday after the long weekend... a copy-and-paste error?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #233

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
The sign on the door at ETI said they'd be open again on Tuesday. Sarah mentioned that they would have 4 days off. Unless I misread and misunderstood...but, you never know about me.
Lucy
As long as your propane detector is working properly, I trust your judgement and eyesight...... Don't hit the wine too hard, and be ready for showtime on Tuesday!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:42 PM   #234

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
We picked up our 5.0 TA this morning. We are at a campground in Chilliwack, and we'll just stay here until the mess gets straightened out and we can export. Thank goodness we are retired and have all the time in the world. I feel sorry for those who have been affected by this and have a limited amount of time.
What campground are you at? Do you recommend it? We arrive Tuesday in Chilliwack and looking for campsite.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:44 PM   #235

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Lucy
Sarah told us they are open Tues and we have an appointment with her Wed at 10 am

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:53 AM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
What campground are you at? Do you recommend it? We arrive Tuesday in Chilliwack and looking for campsite.
We are at Cottonwood Meadows RV Park. It's expensive, but it's a nice place and it's very close to ETI. It's about $50 per night, and that's with Good Sam. It's better than $120 for a room at the Best Western.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:59 AM   #237

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
Message from Tammy on Friday, July 29th.

Here is the latest update I received from Tammy. this came into my mailbox late Friday evening.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for all of your patience and understanding through all of this.

Today I was hoping for an update. – Mind you everyday this week I have hoped for an update… Since I received confirmation of the 565 and 566 I was anticipating the 551 would not be too far behind. I emailed US customs yesterday to see if they could confirm any changes within their system however, as of 3pm this evening they have not returned my email and been unavailable by phone.

On Wednesday, I emailed and called the department responsible for reviewing the 551 and did not receive a response and today at 11am PST I followed up with a second email and phone call however, both have gone un-responded to.

I am beginning to wonder if I have been blacklisted from NHSTA . Someone mentioned that if you poke too many times they will stop returning calls and move you to the bottom of the pile or ‘lose your paperwork’. Keeping this in mind I am trying to not push but remain pleasant and friendly in all of my communication.

As many of you know this is a long weekend for our staff however, Reace and I knowing this is only a BC holiday have remained available just in case something changes. We will both be available on Monday as well just in case of a change and hope to have everyone on their way within 24hrs of getting the go ahead.

I know many of you are trying to decide if you should continue with your scheduled Orientation or re-schedule. As of Tuesday, August 2 it will be two weeks. I am unsure as to how to advise any of you at this time as I can appreciate the dilemma with which you are facing.

Please feel free to forward any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Tammy Harmatuik, Business Manager
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:23 AM   #238

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I imagine there is a bit of lost sleep at the Harmatuik household. I know my mind would be going a million miles an hour if I was in their situation.

First all their dealings with their own municipal government trying to get permits for construction all through to enable building of the addition, now having to deal with the US federal government on this. I know with my out dealings with permits with the City, that government bodies, whether their intents are well meaning or not, usually have no concept of time, and the costs to public. All too often I have been given what they see as a simple request, but it still requires lots of planning, redoing lots of what I have done, then resumption only to wait once more for their review.

I think I will go camping now. Back Monday evening.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #239

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
In a previous life I dealt with shipments to the US military. There is no rhyme or reason to working with the US government!
Old 07-30-2016, 08:58 AM   #240

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
In dealing with a quasi-government entity (major telcom) for 20 years the concept of right hand/left hand disconnect is a big problem.

If it were me I would try to export a trailer everyday and see what happens. It would not surprise me to see the green light at the border ahead of any official communication stating the situation is resolved.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote