100W Solar Panel on Sale at Home Depot - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2018, 08:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
100W Solar Panel on Sale at Home Depot

Home Depot has the Grape Solar 100-Watt Polycrystalline Solar Panel for RV's, Boats and 12-Volt Systems on sale thru April 15th for $89 and free shipping. I don't own this brand so I can't give a personal recommendation, but it gets a 4.7 out of 5 rating by 281 reviewers.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-So...210757&cj=true

It does not include a controller or any sort of legs for setting up around camps, it is pretty much just the panel itself, but this is a pretty good price for what it is - about $30 less than anything comparable from Amazon.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #2

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Looks like they're still $89 if anyone is interested.
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
! have a Grape 160W, works just fine as far as I can tell. Personally I wouldn't use it far a portable but would work fine as a smaller 2nd panel.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #4

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
! have a Grape 160W, works just fine as far as I can tell. Personally I wouldn't use it far a portable bot would work fine as a smaller 2nd panel.
Yeah, I was thinking it's a bit large for a portable (non-folding) and I'd have to build up a frame.
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlNH View Post
Yeah, I was thinking it's a bit large for a portable (non-folding) and I'd have to build up a frame.
I made frames for a pair of 50w flexible panels, a heck of a lot lighter and smaller packing then a 100 glass panel. I little more work is all.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I went with the Lensun 100W panel. Mounted it to 1/2" plywood and hung it underneath the bed in the 19. The panel, once mounted to the plywood, weighs 22 pounds. In order to lift it to the back hanger, I mounted a small pulley - pull it up and slide it back. Then, just mount the board under the front of the panel and it's ready to travel and be waiting to be used.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Home Depot has the Grape Solar 100-Watt Polycrystalline Solar Panel for RV's, Boats and 12-Volt Systems on sale thru April 15th for $89 and free shipping. I don't own this brand so I can't give a personal recommendation, but it gets a 4.7 out of 5 rating by 281 reviewers.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-So...210757&cj=true

It does not include a controller or any sort of legs for setting up around camps, it is pretty much just the panel itself, but this is a pretty good price for what it is - about $30 less than anything comparable from Amazon.
Hi Eric
With the companion cooler/compressor you’re building in your garage how cold will you be able to get the beer ? We need about 37F.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
... I mounted a small pulley - pull it up and slide it back. Then, just mount the board under the front of the panel and it's ready to travel and be waiting to be used.

I have got to see a picture of that.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Eric
With the companion cooler/compressor you’re building in your garage how cold will you be able to get the beer ? We need about 37F.
Iowa Dave
That's too cold for a fine home-brew. Drives me crazy when I go to a restaurant, order a good beer and then they bring it to me in one of those iced glasses outta the freezer. Granted some beers need to be as cold as possible to mask the taste, or is it no-taste. We'll ask Paul about that.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Temps

Quote:
That's too cold for a fine home-brew. Drives me crazy when I go to a restaurant, order a good beer and then they bring it to me in one of those iced glasses outta the freezer. Granted some beers need to be as cold as possible to mask the taste, or is it no-taste. We'll ask Paul about that.
I’m also after the medicinal effects where a cold glass of beer on my forehead helps me organize my thoughts and not lose my place while telling a long, long lie, I mean story. Think I’ll have an Iron Spike Copper Ale brew from Railway City Brewery right now.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-06-2018, 07:22 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I’m also after the medicinal effects where a cold glass of beer on my forehead helps me organize my thoughts and not lose my place while telling a long, long lie, I mean story. Think I’ll have an Iron Spike Copper Ale brew from Railway City Brewery right now.
Iowa Dave
Dave, have an ice cold (sorry ya'll we like it cold) 6 pack of Revolver Blood and Honey Ale with your name on it. All you need is to go south.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I may be retired, but I don't have time to pour my beer into a glass.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Back when I was looking years ago, I thought Grape seemed like the best. It had very good reviews elsewhere also.

Quote:
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post

I have got to see a picture of that.
I screwed a board up furthest from the bed opening & added threaded rod closest to the opening. Once panel is in position, I add a couple wing nuts to hold the closest board in place. I also drop a screw through the panel into the board to keep the solar from moving around in travel and hitting the back of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1212.jpg   IMG_1213.jpg  
Old 05-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #15

Thanks, I must give this some thought. $89bucks.Home Depot for 100 watts of extra solar is very tempting. I don't want to bolt or glue it to my roof so portable storage is the big issue.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #16

To increase my solar to 200 watts I prefer a portable panel over one bolted, glued or taped to the roof. So big issue is where to store it. That 1.37 x 26.37 x 40.16" panel Home Depot is selling won't fit in the closet, and I sure don't want to be looking at it hanging on the dinette street bathroom side wall. I could keep it in the truck bed. Storage under the bed is better. My problem is, to add a shelf there like you did, Kevin, well... no way I crawl under there, and, no way I will wrestle with that mattress to drill bolting holes to hold the self in place. What to do?

I got on line today with Home Depot and ordered one each 100 watt solar panel, $95.68 with the sales tax. What's my storage solution? The fat lady ain't sung yet. Stay tuned.