12v Tire Inflator (compressor) - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
My question would something like the MotoMaster Eliminator work to blow the water out of our 17b lines for winterizing?
Like Mike, I would wonder if any of the small pumps intended for tires could move enough volume to effectively blow out water lines. One solution might be to use them to pump up a portable air tank, which would product short blasts of hgh volume.

Quote:
It seems like the 12-volt inflators may lack the power to work effectively on trailer tires.
My trailer tires are the size and run at the pressure of car tires, so the 12-volt air pumps work for them just as well as they do for car tires. I have used the air pump in my battery pack for the higher-pressure tires on a rented (U-Haul) trailer and it worked fine; it's not a bad little pump. My heavier-duty 12-volt pump (mentioned earlier) handles minor air additions to my motorhome tires (90 psi or more, much larger than any Escape tire) without problems (although it can take a while), so trailer tires would not be a problem.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Like Mike, I would wonder if any of the small pumps intended for tires could move enough volume to effectively blow out water lines. One solution might be to use them to pump up a portable air tank, which would product short blasts of hgh volume.

My trailer tires are the size and run at the pressure of car tires, so the 12-volt air pumps work for them just as well as they do for car tires. I have used the air pump in my battery pack for the higher-pressure tires on a rented (U-Haul) trailer and it worked fine; it's not a bad little pump. My heavier-duty 12-volt pump (mentioned earlier) handles minor air additions to my motorhome tires (90 psi or more, much larger than any Escape tire) without problems (although it can take a while), so trailer tires would not be a problem.
Mike and Brian,
Just remember, all of us have a portable air tank with about 50 psi bolted to the backs of our trailers. Some creative person might be able come up with some way to access that pressurized air to blow out lines or some other chore.
Thought of this because my old VW beetles used the front-located spare's air pressure to operate the early windshield washer.
You could then re-inflate the spare with one of the little 12-volt compressors.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:08 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Love this from Costco: about $70. It has a lead-acid battery and is portable. Also will jump start a dead car battery. The consumer version of the AAA roadside assistance tool.

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:26 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Keep in mind that it's yet another thing to maintain.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Love this from Costco: about $70. It has a lead-acid battery and is portable. Also will jump start a dead car battery. The consumer version of the AAA roadside assistance tool...
That's functionally equivalent to the power pack I have and mentioned above.

These things all have AGM-type lead-acid batteries, so they don't need to stay upright and can handle the high current needed to start a car, at least briefly and occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Keep in mind that it's yet another thing to maintain.
Yes, good point, but we have one for the car and one for the van anyway, regardless of any RV use.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:47 AM   #26

I've got heavy duty jumper cables ( requires no maintenance ) and two 12V compressors ( and 12V extension cables so I can reach the trailer tires ). I have an extra compressor because somebody left it in my vehicle after daughter and friends went camping.
I've also got BCAA roadside assistance that covers vehicle and RV ( not that I can count on cell coverage ).
When it comes right down to it, I have the trailer I'm towing, with a bed, bath, kitchen and probably steaks and beer.
No problem, be happy...
Old 05-18-2015, 01:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've got heavy duty jumper cables...
When it comes right down to it, I have the trailer I'm towing...
In a pinch, the trailer battery can be pulled out and used to boost the tug (and similarly our motorhome coach batteries can be used to boost the motorhome with the push of a button). Since we have the power packs anyway, it only makes sense to take one along with any RV; if we didn't use one otherwise, the leanest approach to equipment wouldn't include a power pack.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:43 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
In a pinch, the trailer battery can be pulled out and used to boost the tug (and similarly our motorhome coach batteries can be used to boost the motorhome with the push of a button). Since we have the power packs anyway, it only makes sense to take one along with any RV; if we didn't use one otherwise, the leanest approach to equipment wouldn't include a power pack.
Might be a bit difficult with 6V batteries...
Old 05-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Love this from Costco: about $70. It has a lead-acid battery and is portable. Also will jump start a dead car battery. The consumer version of the AAA roadside assistance tool.

Got one too! Last summer had trouble getting truck close enough to top off trailer tires after sitting for two months at a site with a building beside trailer. This winter when leaving our site in TX was easy with this unit, just carry it to where it's needed

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Anyone have the Bolt power pack compressor? It gets 5 stars on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Bolt Power G06C Portable 600 AMP Peak With Air Compressor Car Battery Jump Starter Power Pack Charger 12V With 16500mAh - Emergency Auto Heavy Duty Jump Starter For Light-Medium Truck, Van, SUV and More: Automotive
Attached Thumbnails
71UTfXakwfL._SL1500_.jpg  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #31

Quote:
In a pinch, the trailer battery can be pulled out and used to boost the tug...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Might be a bit difficult with 6V batteries...
Yep, would work even better than one 12-volt, but would be even more of a pain!
Old 05-18-2015, 11:17 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
A day or so ago Brian wrote this...

"Although the tug and trailer (and motorhome, in that case) have 12V DC and (in some cases) 120V AC power, the most useful compressor I have is actually the one built into a portable power pack (almost identical to the MotoMaster Eliminator 1000 Booster Pack). It can be a pain stringing the power cable - and extension dependin on the tire - from a socket to the compressor, and it's much easier to just take the pack to the tire."

Since then I've spent some time trying to find a tool that would serve to do two things: blow water out of the lines for winterizing, serve as a way to top up our vehicle tires and the Escape tires.

I am leaning towards the Eliminator that Brian mentioned which will do three things: top up vehicle/trailer tires at home and on the road, be a jump starter for vehicles at home and for us when on the road, serve as an inverter. Liz figured out it would power a hair dryer. (So when "upper management" aka Liz gets on board things are easier).

It seems my mechanic son-in-law will be able to get me an air compressor to blow out water lines each fall

I agree with what Glenn wrote about simplicity. And, yes, this is another area of complexity: The battery booster requires keeping proper and regular charging to keep its longevity. But it's good to learn new things and Liz gets her hair dryer.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:45 PM   #33

Yup. I bought a Porter/Cable 6gal. compressor to blow out the lines. It has its own maintenance schedule ( you have to drain it after each use ). I have to get out the manual each fall.
So now, I just use a hand pump and RV antifreeze, and stumble over the compressor in my side shed.
Used it once with the brad nailer to put up molding in the kitchen, but how much molding can you put up in a house?
Old 05-19-2015, 12:20 AM   #34

Quote:
I am leaning towards the Eliminator that Brian mentioned which will do three things: top up vehicle/trailer tires at home and on the road, be a jump starter for vehicles at home and for us when on the road, serve as an inverter. Liz figured out it would power a hair dryer...
One could power an inverter with my power pack, and some power packs (including one I bought but got broken) do include an inverter, but my current power packs don't have inverters in them... they are a source only of 12V DC power, 5V DC power from a USB port (in one case), and compressed air (in one case).

Hmm... it looks like at Canadian Tire, "power pack" means it has an inverter built in, so my current units are "booster packs" in their terminology.

A hair dryer takes a lot of power - a relatively wimpy 600 watt hair dryer would take 50 amps (at 12V DC, to an inverter) from the portable power pack, which it certainly can do... but only for a few minutes. The biggest Eliminator unit has a 33 Ah battery, which means ideally 50 amps for 40 minutes (and much less in reality).
Old 05-19-2015, 12:23 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Psssst Brian. Don't tell Liz
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:40 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
My hairdryer used 13 amps on the high settings and 5 amps on the low ones.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:46 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
My hairdryer used 13 amps on the high settings and 5 amps on the low ones.
Those are amps at 120V AC, right? 13 amps at 120 volts would be 1560 watts on high, and 5 amps at 120 volts would be 600 watts on low. My "wimpy" example matches Cathy's hair dryer on low.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:50 AM   #38

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Yes, mine are at 120.
Hoping it will not be so cool even in August that I will need it at Banff and Jasper but will probably have hookups most of the time.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote