$5/MO Sirius XM - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2019, 07:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
$5/MO Sirius XM

Called today to really cancel on wife's car- she doesn't use it. After 4 attempts of save they did it. Interesting was their last save offer of $4.99/mo or $6.06/mo with fees. Best I've heard in the last year or so was for 5 month promos which meant I had to remember to call in. Did take that "promo" for the tug....their rack(ripoff) rate is over $20/mo.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
When they offer Sirius for free then I will think about it
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When they offer Sirius for free then I will think about it

Well they've added adverts on some channels, so I don't see why it shouldn't be free.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:42 PM   #4

I got a year of free Sirius with the last two vehicles I bought
Never used it once so for me I got my money’s worth .
Old 03-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
It costs them nothing more to get a bit of money out of additional customers. I had a similar experience with our home phone with Telus. We decided to dump it and just use our cell phones, as my mom was about the only one to phone us on it. They really wanted to keep me hooked and offered me a year with no bells for free. I though why not, then after 6 months of nothing but spam calls, I phoned them to permanently pull the pin. They still tried to convince me to stay to no avail.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
My wife marks her calendar, every five months, she dukes it out with Sirrius, to get a reasonable price. Its a PITA for sure, and I only listen to a couple of channels anyway.

You basically have to call to "cancel" your service, and then and only then will they offer a reduced price.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
My wife marks her calendar, every five months, she dukes it out with Sirrius, to get a reasonable price. Its a PITA for sure, and I only listen to a couple of channels anyway.

You basically have to call to "cancel" your service, and then and only then will they offer a reduced price.
Out in east New Mexico/West Texas where we have been campground hosting it is a virtual radio desert, so Sirrius does have some appeal. But like NCBill, if they don't agree to $5/month I "cancel" and in a month or two a post card shows up offering a "one time special" of $5/mo. Been doing that for 3 years or so.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Well they've added adverts on some channels, so I don't see why it shouldn't be free.
Most of the channels on any satellite (or cable, or IP) TV service are broadcast channels with commercials... but all of those services cost money to operate and not supplied free of charge to customers. If you want free radio stations, they're still there on AM and FM bands; if you want someone to operate a set of satellites to deliver audio entertainment, I think you're going to need to pay for it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
I got sick of having to negotiate a reasonable rate with Sirius every 6 months. Had to wait too long on hold. Dumped all my services a few years ago.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Sorry, meant to say this promo is good for a year vs. the $25/5 month offer twice previously. I too was tired of the game and would have probably just dumped it as well otherwise.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:28 AM   #11

If I'm paying a subscription, I expect no ads. That apparently didn't work for Sirius ( or PBS ). So, when they start running ads, I drop my subscription. It's that easy.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:38 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Sirius has a number of issues to me, regardless of the cost. First, same few songs on a particular channel, in heavy rotation. What, you can't find a way to not repeat the same darn song every two hours? And second, their compression algorithm results in really muddy and garbled sound quality. The difference between an HD radio station and a Sirius station on my truck's stereo is shocking. Like a lot of folks, I kept it for the initial "free subscription" that came with the vehicle, then just never renewed.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If I'm paying a subscription, I expect no ads. That apparently didn't work for Sirius ( or PBS ). So, when they start running ads, I drop my subscription. It's that easy.
So, you don't have satellite or cable TV? That makes sense, if you live in an area with sufficient free over-the-air broadcast channels, or can get all of the video content that you want on commercial-free streaming services (even if you have to pay for them).

I think mobile audio is similar: if you are always in an area with lots of free over-the-air stations (especially in "HD", which we don't have here), or have piles of free internet bandwidth for streaming and continuous service, or are carrying your own music (my choice), then it would not make sense to pay for satellite audio.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:19 AM   #14

I do have cable which is costing me more and more. I could get free OTA signals from Seymour Mountain transmitters, but they don't transmit HBO etc.
So, you have me there.

On the other hand, I'm not willing to put up with ads and paying for a subscription to Sirius.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:34 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post

My calendar entry for April 11 ---->>>Cancel SiriusXM

Not much hassle for me any longer. I offer them $4.00 per month and we quickly settle on an amount that is agreeable for both of us.

I started out buying a Skyfi device from Circuit City in 2004 and they installed it on my Honda Goldwing for $50.00. They removed lots of plastic as I watched, installed the antenna on the trunk, located a power source, and snaked the antenna wire to the handlebars. That sure did beat searching for stations every 50 - 100 miles.
Nova Kool RFU6800
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:02 AM   #16

We don’t have cable TV or Satellite TV or Sirius Radio or a computer or a printer or etc , etc , etc . We have antenna TV and the number of channels changes daily with the weather
If we get 3 or 4 that’s fine with me . We connect to the internet on our phones when we get a signal which is about 1/2 the time . I refuse to pay to listen to / watch commercials .
In fact most of the time I don’t turn the radio on in my truck unless there is something on NPR I want to listen to .
Old 03-30-2019, 09:34 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've been paying around $5.00 per month for XM Radio for a number of years. You do have to remember to call them just before the 6 months runs out and go through the "I want to quit" so they will renew it.

As to ads, the stations I listen to don't have any. As to the audio quality, yes, it is pretty bad, but most of what I listen to is talk (NPR & BBC most of the time) rather than music, so it generally isn't a problem (although it does muddy up the Grateful Dead channel).

My reason for putting up with it is there are still a few places that have no internet coverage, no FM radio, etc. Traveling solo, it is nice to hear from the outside world once in a while.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too am not keen on the stations seeming limited playlists and the repetition. There is not the variety I like.

This past trip I downloaded a lot of Spotify playlists and found some I really liked. We downloaded more along the way when we had WiFi as well. I have added my favourites from them to a couple other playlists and now have a ton of good music to listen to. Not HD quality, but a lot better than most from over the airwaves.

Sometimes with Spotify I get lost in music. I find a new song or artist I like, click on their radio station, get more similar music, click on something new there, and on, and on....

I do pay $10 CAD a month for this service, but have been WAY happier with it than when I was subscribed to Sirius.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:31 PM   #19

Spotify (or any one of the many other streaming audio services) may seem like a better deal than Sirius, but Spotify is only providing content - you separately pay for some form of internet connection to get the content to you. Sirius is providing both content and an entire satellite system to get it to you. If you don't need that connection (because you have something else or use your own stored content), then it doesn't make sense to pay Sirius for it.

Spotify is an interesting example, because it offers the choice of free content with ads, or paid content without ads.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:27 AM   #20
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Does Sirius allow 2 cars under same account? We drive so rarely and only 1 car at a time...
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote