Amazon "Fire" phone - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2015, 07:09 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Amazon "Fire" phone

Amazon offered their new unlocked GSM 32G Fire phone for an introductory price with free this and that and it ended up costing me $50. I took it to AT&T and they transferred the sim card from my old iPhone 4S and activated it for free.
The phone is about 50% larger screen which was what I wanted due to my aging eyes. The APP's available are adequate and they will provide one specially made for you, free. For example my UConnect for my Dodge Ram will be available soon.
The picture and sounds are amazing with 3 D maps.
I highly recommend it if you can acquire it during one of Amazon daily specials.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-Ph...rds=fire+phone

Old 05-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Thankfully the monopoly is broken for having to kowtow to the cell phone cartel.

It started here, in Canada, about a year and half ago when Staples first started selling unlocked phones. I found it galling before that I could go to the Samsung store, buy a phone, which was already locked to Telus and then had to go and pay Telus to have it unlocked.

The rest of the world has cheap unlocked cell phones, it's about time that it's improving here. It is nice, no matter what country you're in, just to be able to buy a very low cost sim card, pop it in your phone, and have a local phone.

OK, rant over

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
This phone appears to use Fire OS, an operating system derived from Android. In effect, instead of the phone's operating system being tweaked to lock the user into a phone network, it is instead set up to lock the user to Amazon, similar to the way an iPhone is set up to work with Apple's store.

It will be interesting to see how well this works out, but at least Amazon (and thus support for the phone) is unlikely vanish at short notice.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
Site Team

Today I was able to activate my truck's internet connection for a flat fee for 30 days and now my truck is a mobile hotspot so that my IPad and Fire phone can access internet while driving to obtain live weather feeds. These feeds will use a lot of airtime so it was prudent to use the truck with unlimited versus each individual plan each of which have limits.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This phone appears to use Fire OS, an operating system derived from Android. In effect, instead of the phone's operating system being tweaked to lock the user into a phone network, it is instead set up to lock the user to Amazon, similar to the way an iPhone is set up to work with Apple's store.

It will be interesting to see how well this works out, but at least Amazon (and thus support for the phone) is unlikely vanish at short notice.
I'm not quite understanding the Amazon phone situation. Jim has an AT&T sim card now. I don't see how the phone is still locked to Amazon. But then I don't have an iPhone so I don't know how they are set up to work with Apple's store.

Ron
Old 05-17-2015, 07:44 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19
The Amazon Fire may work perfectly for you. But you might want to look at this article before recommending it to others. Amazon Fire Phone: Why It Failed to Take Off
Rutterslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
Site Team

The phone is unlocked and I can use any network, I chose AT&T since it was my old provider as well as being nearby. In another month I'll probably switch to Consumer Cellular which provides free sim card replacements, similar to AT&T and reduce my monthly bill further. As far as my decision, the upfront cost was minimal and the phone was bigger. I do not use a lot of APP's so the phone meets my needs. As Donna says, YMMV.....
Old 05-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #8

That's what I thought was the situation. What I don't understand is Brian's comment about the phone still being locked to Amazon.

I've has several sim cards in several countries in mine as well as a local pay as you go plan. Being able to have an unlocked phone really works for me.

Ron
Old 05-17-2015, 08:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
That's what I thought was the situation. What I don't understand is Brian's comment about the phone still being locked to Amazon.
I think that's a reference to the apps being Amazon-specific. If you want Candy Crush, you have to buy it from Amazon, etc.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

I've has several sim cards in several countries in mine as well as a local pay as you go plan. Being able to have an unlocked phone really works for me.

Ron
Not the cellular function Ron, but the App source. Just as an iPhone has the Apple App Store or iTunes as the sole source for content (unless you jailbreak it with Cydia or similar), the Fire Phone is also a "closed universe" -- deriving its Apps solely from Amazon. And, Amazon isn't the only one to adopt the closed system model like Apple: Microsoft did that with Windows Mobile. None of these has anything to do with the cellular carrier, but how the OS runs. Another way to look at is this: an iPhone is essentially an iPad with a cell phone (albeit smaller). A Fire Phone is essentially a Kindle Fire with a cell phone.