Andersen camping leveler - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #61

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
On another post, I saw a reference to Dexter Axle's Service Manual. It says that when you store your trailer for an extended time or over a winter, you should jack up the trailer and place jack stands under the trailer frame so that the weight will be off the tires. Since I have had two trailers over the years (and will soon have an Escape 19) and both had a tire failure within the first 2 years, I have heeded this advice. Where would be the recommended place to put the jack stands on an Escape 19 and how would you jack it up?
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
On another post, I saw a reference to Dexter Axle's Service Manual. It says that when you store your trailer for an extended time or over a winter, you should jack up the trailer and place jack stands under the trailer frame so that the weight will be off the tires. Since I have had two trailers over the years (and will soon have an Escape 19) and both had a tire failure within the first 2 years, I have heeded this advice. Where would be the recommended place to put the jack stands on an Escape 19 and how would you jack it up?
If you want to jack it up, I'd only do so on the frame -- never the suspension components.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #63

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
Where would be the recommended place to put the jack stands on an Escape 19 and how would you jack it up?
Jack stands should go under the main longitudinal frame, as close behind the rear axle(s) as you can get.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #64

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We take delivery of a new Escape 21 in about 3 weeks and I was thinking of getting the Andersen Levellers. (I expect we would have to get them cut to fit the trailer.) Now that they have been in use a bit longer, I was wondering if I could get an update from people who have experience with them:

1. How do they perform on pavement, as in lifting up one side to let you change a tire?

2. Have you found that they slip away from the tire under specific circumstances, like if a campsite pad's gravel is dirty.

3. Have any of you discovered any other problems?

4. Any regrets buying them over other solutions (plastic stacking levellers; wood)

Thanks,
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
We take delivery of a new Escape 21 in about 3 weeks and I was thinking of getting the Andersen Levellers. (I expect we would have to get them cut to fit the trailer.) Now that they have been in use a bit longer, I was wondering if I could get an update from people who have experience with them:

1. How do they perform on pavement, as in lifting up one side to let you change a tire?

2. Have you found that they slip away from the tire under specific circumstances, like if a campsite pad's gravel is dirty.

4. Any regrets buying them over other solutions (plastic stacking levellers; wood)

Thanks,
Bob K
We have a pair of Anderson Levelers that we use with our 21. We had to cut them down about an inch or so, but it doesn't seem to have affected the operation. We have used them on pavement to level a trailer, but not change a tire. We haven't had any problem with them slipping. Overall, I am pleased with them.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #66
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:

Thanks,
Bob K
This is a lot simpler and safer:

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/tr...aid/SLT310123/

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:53 PM   #67

I can see that the Trailer Aid looks very stable, but it isn't a solution for levelling the trailer at a campsite. I liked the idea that two of the Andersen levellers could serve both purposes.

Bob K
Old 04-25-2015, 12:09 AM   #68

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:

Thanks,
Bob K
we use them alot with our 21,no issues.

you will need to trim them for use with the 21, so many people have asked anderson about this that they created a howto guide,
http://www.andersenhitches.com/uploa...%20details.pdf

on smoother surfaces i have had to put down a non-slip mat at first, the bottoms are well rough up not so that isn't an issue now
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:03 AM   #69

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:

Thanks,
Bob K
Quote:
I can see that the Trailer Aid looks very stable, but it isn't a solution for levelling the trailer at a campsite. I liked the idea that two of the Andersen levellers could serve both purposes.

Bob K
First, Charlie is correct. The Trailer Aid is far safer. When the one wheel is in the cradle on the top it exerts downward pressure on the Trailer Aid. When a single wheel is on an Anderson leveler, there are lateral forces at play and the leveler could slip and "shoot" out of place. They have been known to do so. Additionally, on uneven ground the leveler may not provide enough rise to get the tire off of the ground. For that matter, neither may the Trailer Aid. While it may be a desirable thing to have one item serve both purposes, I can tell you from experience that I was once very glad (remote area, no cell coverage) that I had a hydraulic bottle jack and stacking blocks to raise the bottle jack to the proper height in my TV. I do have a Trailer Aid and would use it if I were on solid, even ground but trust me, there are occasions when ONLY a real jack will work.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:24 AM   #70

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too am in the camp of not really trusting the leveller to allow me to work on the other tire. However, I looked into the Anderson levellers, as they sell them in town, but considered them way to bulky and awkward to carry, but have not actually used them. I do have the Trailer-Aid for use when removing wheels to work on the trailer, but it never comes along with me. I have no issues using a jack if needed, though have had no need in 6 years.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:12 AM   #71
Site Team

Ditto what others have said. I would not use the Andersen leveler to change a tire. We have a jiffy jack for the purpose.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:28 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Ditto what others have said. I would not use the Andersen leveler to change a tire. We have a jiffy jack for the purpose.
Do you take that with you, Robert? Or just for home use?

Like I mentioned, I leave mine at home, and am willing to suffer the couple extra minutes to get the jack out, or just use my levelling blocks. Not as handy, but not too much of an issue for the rare occasion I might need to change a tire on the road.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #73

Many thanks for the responses on this. The dual purpose of the Andersen levellers and their ease of use seemed very innovative to me. I thought that the wedge piece you slip under the main inclined plane you drive onto would make it very stable, but I can see that if the stabilizing wedge slipped at all the trailer could roll down the incline. Despite the levellers working out for some people, I am very focused on safety and will opt for the stacking plastic blocks for levelling and my bottle jack for changing a tire on the road.

Bob K
Old 04-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #74
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Do you take that with you, Robert? Or just for home use?

Like I mentioned, I leave mine at home, and am willing to suffer the couple extra minutes to get the jack out, or just use my levelling blocks. Not as handy, but not too much of an issue for the rare occasion I might need to change a tire on the road.
Its under the bed just inside the outside hatch. Takes up very little room and its easily accessible. No flats yet, thank God.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #75
Site Team

Quote:
Many thanks for the responses on this. The dual purpose of the Andersen levellers and their ease of use seemed very innovative to me. I thought that the wedge piece you slip under the main inclined plane you drive onto would make it very stable, but I can see that if the stabilizing wedge slipped at all the trailer could roll down the incline. Despite the levellers working out for some people, I am very focused on safety and will opt for the stacking plastic blocks for levelling and my bottle jack for changing a tire on the road.

Bob K
The bottle jack is fine, just make sure you jack from the frame and not the axle.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #76

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Well I'm sure going to look redneck with my trusty old pieces of 2X6 that I use for leveling and tire removal.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Well I'm sure going to look redneck with my trusty old pieces of 2X6 that I use for leveling and tire removal.

Cheers
Doug
I did just this for 25 years of RVing, but broke down and got the Lynx stacking ones. They are butt ugly, but light and store nicer.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #78

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
I guess I'm in the 'look redneck' group as well. I suppose I can paint the 2x6's orange; maybe that'll change the image!

I did cut them at 30° and not 45°; does that help?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #79

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I did just this for 25 years of RVing, but broke down and got the Lynx stacking ones. They are butt ugly, but light and store nicer.
You have fancy, plastic, leveling blocks.
Time to hand in your redneck card I'm afraid Jim.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #80
Site Team

City slicker!